The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Jun 2, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #1,817 of 1,853
http://www.head-fi.org/products/zhiyin-qt5/reviews/16110

<<"Bass

The QT5 has one of the strongest, yet well controlled and detailed bass qualities I’ve heard yet in an IEM. The dynamic driver can get to basshead levels with a little eq, but there is a level of impact and refinement here that needs to be experienced by anyone that is a fan of quality bass, and lots of it. Not once did it ever bleed into the mids, showing a well done crossover network done right.
The new Drake and 2 Chainz albums were a good showcase of bass, as well as just about any EDM song. It’s like having competition car audio subbass and midbass thumping in your ear, yet you can actually hear the rest of the vocals and instruments in perfect clarity. A pure balanced armature multi driver IEM just cannot provide this level of bass, which is accentuated by the dynamic driver here. It can’t match my custom dual opposed 18” subwoofers in my home theater, but it sure does remind me of them. I’m in awe.">>

Thanks for the review on QT5 BA Hybrid IEM @bhazard
:ksc75smile:
Noble K10 and Layla are not, from my experience using them, basshead iems. The K10 lacks bass impact compared to most Dynamic Driver iems.

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #1,818 of 1,853
Noble K10 and Layla are not, from my experience using them, basshead iems. The K10 lacks bass impact compared to most Dynamic Driver iems.

It's a 'BoB W.' implementation - best of both worlds blend of what dynamics excel at and what balanced armatures excel at.

I'm sold on hybrids, they rock.
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2016 at 6:35 AM Post #1,819 of 1,853
It's a 'BoB W.' implementation - best of both worlds blend of what dynamics excel at and what balanced armatures excel at.

I'm sold on hybrids, they rock. :D  
They do

Jun 6, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #1,820 of 1,853
Headband snapped on my favourite cannons, which was a bit of a shock as I was just taking them off my head. Grabbed some Sol Tracks HD which are quite good, but I'm in the market for something good down low. Got the Audioquest Nighthawk recently; they have good bass, but not quite basshead level in my view. Low to medium impedance would suit my rigs I reckon.

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #1,821 of 1,853

Remarkable clarity and dynamics for a can with a very good bass response.

Aug 7, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #1,822 of 1,853
I was looking at the charts on the first post, and the Momentum On-ear v1 and Beyer T50p didn't make the cut?  They thump good and bass is +8dB over the midrange on the MOE, and treble is not that strong and prominent, so the first thing you notice is big, punchy bass.  T50p will seem even stronger due to its upper midrange dip.

The Klipsch Image One.  I remember that thing being crazy, but now looking at Headroom's graph, maybe it was all resonance and not that much actual bass, ahahaha!  I heard the 2nd revision, if I'm not mistaken.

Shure's SRH550?  That thing is closer to a mixing headphone (balanced, relatively accurate sound) than any kind of bass-oriented "DJ" headphone, in my opinion.  About as basshead as AKG's K702, and K702's rightfully not on the charts (not to imply that its bass isn't awesome, but K702 is more about mids, as is SRH550).
Y'all could try replacing it with Senn's HD205-II, that thing's much more bass-oriented than SRH550.
On a side note, SRH550 is a borderline glass cannon.  I don't dare recommend it unless you are willing to try different epoxies on it to see what keeps its headband arms from breaking so easily.

Edit: the Ultrasone Performance 840 is another bass can worth noting

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #1,824 of 1,853
Guys, my M Audio Q40 died today RIP.  I was listening to a podcast at low volume & took them off for a second.  When I picked them up again, the left channel was gone.  The voice coil must have broke or something - DMM shows open across the driver terminals.

Now I need your help.

Help suggest a replacement!
  1. I loved the sound from these these headphones - I'd prefer something similar. Tight bass w/ good extension.  Mids are present & balanced.  Treble is clear but not harsh.  FWIW I had a V-moda cable and SRH840 pads. 
  2. I need closed headphones for work.  I usually listen thru Fiio E12 from a laptop.
  3. I considered getting another Q40 from Ebay but they simply aren't durable enough.  

Any repair tips?  (I assume the driver is not repairable.)
  1. source for a replacement driver?
  2. alternate replacement drivers? (same mounting pattern)

Please help!!!  Thanks

Oct 21, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,825 of 1,853
  Guys, my M Audio Q40 died today RIP.  I was listening to a podcast at low volume & took them off for a second.  When I picked them up again, the left channel was gone.  The voice coil must have broke or something - DMM shows open across the driver terminals.

Now I need your help.

Help suggest a replacement!
  1. I loved the sound from these these headphones - I'd prefer something similar. Tight bass w/ good extension.  Mids are present & balanced.  Treble is clear but not harsh.  FWIW I had a V-moda cable and SRH840 pads. 
  2. I need closed headphones for work.  I usually listen thru Fiio E12 from a laptop.
  3. I considered getting another Q40 from Ebay but they simply aren't durable enough.  

Any repair tips?  (I assume the driver is not repairable.)
  1. source for a replacement driver?
  2. alternate replacement drivers? (same mounting pattern)

Please help!!!  Thanks

I have a Q40 for sale with Alpha pads if you're interested. 

Nov 4, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #1,826 of 1,853
There's a new sheriff in my collection since I picked these mint Monsters up from a pawn shop. Been using them at work with my Meizu Pro 5. So easy to drive the Pro 5 refuses to allow high gain after measuring the measly impedance. Impressive resolution for such heavy hitting cans. Love the tank like aluminium and steel design too, if not the comfort. Still a good clamp helps the lower frequencies I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back