The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Nov 17, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #1,696 of 1,853
Found a song with some of the most sub bass i have heard. Goes very low, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_J5DXYrYP80

Pretty good. I like testing out a bassy headphone on this video. Deep bass note at 1:15. I remember I discovered that note when I put some AD2000 drivers into a Takstar Hi-2050 and modified the grill a bit. DEEP and textured.

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #1,697 of 1,853
So, I ended up returning the denon and Fostex.  Kept the Philips Fidelio X2.  These things sound amazing for the price and they don't punish my ears with highs.  Even with the high's eq'd out of the Fostex TH600s, they just didn't seem at all worth the high price over the Philips.

Nov 17, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #1,698 of 1,853
  Pretty good. I like testing out a bassy headphone on this video. Deep bass note at 1:15. I remember I discovered that note when I put some AD2000 drivers into a Takstar Hi-2050 and modified the grill a bit. DEEP and textured.

i always imagine skream as like a "father dubstep" who gave us the gift of dubstep, only to then have it turned into "brostep" a few years later, ruining all the fun.... 
he will always be one of my favorites

i like testing subs with this one

doesnt go quite as low - but it does the job XD

edit: congrats on the business - good luck!

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #1,699 of 1,853
Working on doing a transplant here, I'm putting XB1000 drivers into a DT770 and then I'm going to make the cups Darth Beyer type cups with some wood that I'll either stain a dark color or just paint black. The 70mm drivers fill the entire locking ring for the stock DT770 baffles, so I'm using those as my baffles, I epoxied the edges of the drivers straight onto those. The only thing I'm waiting on is to cut the wood pieces down to the right size. This is a pretty exciting project!

Don't mind the mess of cords you can see under my desk.

Nov 24, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #1,701 of 1,853
Very excited to hear the results!   Frankenstein headphones!   Love it! 

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,705 of 1,853
Fostex TH-X00. I posted in two threads about them already. I have a review unit on my ears. 100% basshead approved! More pleasant than the TH600 to listen to with the same bass potential (with EQ).

From my understanding, the THX00 is a TH600 with wood cups and Denon pads. I'm not a fan of Denon style pads at all, the TH600/900 pads would have been a better choice IMO.

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #1,706 of 1,853
From my understanding, the THX00 is a TH600 with wood cups and Denon pads. I'm not a fan of Denon style pads at all, the TH600/900 pads would have been a better choice IMO.

It also has an extra foam ring that likely reduces treble. It has less treble and less bass than the TH600. These pads don't fit my tall ears, but neither did the TH600 pads.

I'll replace the pads with HM5 or Audeze pads soon.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #1,707 of 1,853
Hey guys I was thinking of making a blunder into purchasing new headphones and moving on from my ATH-AD700's to something that better suits my musical taste (mostly Rap) and was wondering if the chart in the OP is still up to date. I've been checking out some of these headphones listed there and I've never really seen anyone talk about them compared to dt880's, hd558's and akg q701', phillip x2's. Is the bass-head market more niche? I'm not sure on which cans to decide on, I'd like something that hits hard and is punchy but doesn't bleed into mids or make the rest of spectrum sound muddy or dull.

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #1,708 of 1,853
Hey guys I was thinking of making a blunder into purchasing new headphones and moving on from my ATH-AD700's to something that better suits my musical taste (mostly Rap) and was wondering if the chart in the OP is still up to date. I've been checking out some of these headphones listed there and I've never really seen anyone talk about them compared to dt880's, hd558's and akg q701', phillip x2's. Is the bass-head market more niche? I'm not sure on which cans to decide on, I'd like something that hits hard and is punchy but doesn't bleed into mids or make the rest of spectrum sound muddy or dull.

HBB updates the list monthly (though it hasn't changed much). The possibilities you listed are great sounding headphones but they are not basshead territory. What's your budget?

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #1,710 of 1,853

I wouldn't really put the 880, HD558, or Q701 on the list. The Q701 can have good bass if you do the bass mod on it (remove the white filter on the back of the drivers), but stock they are flat as hell. The X2 could qualify. In that range I would recommend a Denon D2000 if you're ok with buying used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back