The Audiophile Bass Lounge (Basshead club part II)
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #31 of 1,853
  Entries have been submitted, and formatting gripe fixed! Thanks man!

No, thank you! You did a great job reincarnating the Basshead Club, only a lot better this time! Keep up the good work!
beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #32 of 1,853
@White Lotus

Please add the AH-C300's to the Denon list.

And thank you for taking what was already an epic thread, and making it even better. 
wink_face.gif

Edit: Just was that there is an IEM section. Apologies.

Apr 25, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #35 of 1,853
@White Lotus From what I had read before the equalizer is hardware, it is one of the DAC functionality, is limited in frequency but does not degrade the sound.

For the Jet effects I do not know if they are 100% software on the J3, I have tested the player JetAudio from the time it was fully available with all effects on the GooglePlay and the result was not to the height of those in the J3.

But the headphone amp, DAC and audio drivers in the phone was not the same of course, this can explain the poor result.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #36 of 1,853
I've heard good things -

Does anyone know more about the jeteffect engine? Is it software/hardware?

Is it subtractive EQ? Or maybe the preamp level on the cowon is low already?
incidentally also available on android for jetaudio plus :p and their desktop version http://www.jetaudio.com/products/jetaudio/features_09.html http://www.jetaudio.com/products/ - hardware, software, etc.

i think there are some rmaa measurements for mach3bass and whatever the other settings from cowon d2 days were http://rmaa.dfkt.tk/index.php?dir=Comparisons/ (search for bbe or m3b)

from memory it was 10-200 upward trending boost, plus slight treble boost 6-10k and a dip around lower mids.
there may have been an effect that didn't touch the treble .

i think mach3bass etc on d2+ are not quite the same as the android ones (there jetaudio uses x-bass), but they're fairly interchangeable

BBE might be someone else's product that cowon and jet audio use but not owner but jetaudio - not sure.

ps ironically some cowon players like c2 and d2 have output caps and a bass-rolloff (not that it's not fixed by that)

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:06 AM Post #37 of 1,853
Excellent - cheers!

I'm having trouble finding the true output impedance of the ZO units - they are written in the specs as 1ohm, but I don't trust it until it's tested..

@RPGWiZaRD or @svyr any ideas?

I tried the ZO2 with the Dunu DNK1000 today - absolutely facemelting insane bass for an IEM. The dynamic driver can handle the bass all the way up to it's highest setting.

Apr 25, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #38 of 1,853
Sorry, double post, needs to be said:

My girlfriend was putting on her Denon D5000s, she looked over and was like "huh? What's that?" pointing to the ZO 2.3 in my hands.

It's currently blowing her mind trying it out. I can hear her cheesy tunes cranking from the other side of the room. 

Turns out it's a great pairing with the D5000s.

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #39 of 1,853
Excellent - cheers!

I'm having trouble finding the true output impedance of the ZO units - they are written in the specs as 1ohm, but I don't trust it until it's tested..

@RPGWiZaRD
 or @svyr
 any ideas?

I tried the ZO2 with the Dunu DNK1000 today - absolutely facemelting insane bass for an IEM. The dynamic driver can handle the bass all the way up to it's highest setting.

if you really doubt their claim, you could measure it at frequency of your choice (usually 1k (but we do occasionally see impedance vs frequency plots. for amps. crazy) - make a tone file ?). (it sounds like it can be done with minimal parts and equipment)
never tried doing it myself so not sure of the caveats - could ask in the dyi section ?

also - will thinksound on1 be making its way into the first post :p ?

Apr 25, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #40 of 1,853
if you really doubt their claim, you could measure it at frequency of your choice (usually 1k (but we do occasionally see impedance vs frequency plots. for amps. crazy) - make a tone file ?). (it sounds like it can be done with minimal parts and equipment)
never tried doing it myself so not sure of the caveats - could ask in the dyi section ?

also - will thinksound on1 be making its way into the first post :p ?

Good idea!

And yes, the on1 definitely belongs into the OP, good call.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #42 of 1,853

DSC_1016.jpg

I decided to drop green on these cans after high praise reports mainly by the bass beast that is Hawaiibadboy on the former BassHeads Club thread, which for reasons unknown to me was recently closed but continues in new Audiophile Bass Lounge thread here, though I think Hawaiibadboy is now banned, also reasons unknown to me, but is a shame, as this first impressions review of mine is with that HBB in mind.

So, these cans come in a rather unassuming box, which is severely lacking in advertising that these cans are bass orientated. If a prospective bass head buyer for new cans was in a store, he/she could easily walk past these cans completely unaware of their bass capabilities.

Inner box has cans nicely presented in dark blue silky fabric, suggesting the cans have pedigree and purpose that other cans may not befit such splendour.

Picking the SZ2000's up for the first time, you realise just how heavy they are, apparently a heavyweight 485g, considerably heavier than SONY MDR-XB1000, a cruiserweight at 375g.

Pads look plush and well padded, but are deceiving when worn as drivers are closer than you'd think and I found top of my left ear uncomfortably rests on the driver, so it takes me a bit of adjusting to find a sweet spot of comfort. I've not big or protruding ears and this is the first headcan I've experienced this kind of initial fit with, and I must have a small head, as I rarely have to extend headbands on cans, these being no exception.

Build quality is very good and the whole thing is put together very nicely and feels robust.

DSCF5247.jpg

Main track I used to get a first feel of these cans, is a Hawaiibadboy recommendation, namely Wiz Khalifa's on my level track, noted for its serious bass.

First play was cans plugged directly into iPad, with EQ set to flat (same as EQ off), and these cans played no problem whatsoever, so are easily driven. Sound was nice and crisp, with tight punchy bass - very pleasant indeedy.

Second play had cans hooked up to Fiio E17, only with bass EQ set to max out level 10, again using iPad as source. Now this set up is to feel just how hard the bass slam is going to hit, and how the cans perform under such EQ extremities.

Boom! - the moment the track starts and the deep bass drops, these cans come to life as a fully fledged bass canon, it's pretty cool, the cans literally vibrate on your head. The bass, though pummelling your head in waves of profound bass, manages to keep it together and not bloat out - it's just no problem to the SZ2000's, these cans were expecting this and were well prepared for this EQ.

Comparing to the SONY XB1000's, the SZ2000's have more prominent mids and highs even when heavily bass EQ'd, the mids particularly retain their presence and clarity, where the XB1000's mids and highs seem a little recessed in comparison with bass leading and everything else following behind.

The XB1000 does have a harder bass slam than the JVC's, but I'd guess that's down to their 70mm Goliath sized drivers.

All in all, the JVC SZ2000's are serious bass canons that deliver a mighty slam that will put a smile on any bassheads face for sure.

Gripes include the earpads, the cable is fixed undetachable and only 1.2 metres long and the provided carry bag is the cheapest quality one I've ever seen and seems like a last minute afterthought, but is not befitting of these cans at all - JVC could have done a lot better carry bag for sure.

So, big thanks to Hawaiibadboy for making these mighty cans known to me, as they are a lot of fun with a quality sound signature for the win.

My SZ2000's were first cans to sit proudly on my just received klutz design stand you see in photos, which has absolutely zero relevance to this first impression review, but headphone stand is in vibrant red, which I like enough to point out...:p

DSC_1001.jpg

DSCF5257.jpg

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #43 of 1,853
Just added SZ2000 to the list - thanks for the review, mate!

Great photos as usual.

I'm super keen to try some of those out, unfortunately in my area they are either really hard to find, or cost around $600.

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #44 of 1,853
Just realised the other thread was closed

Apr 26, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #45 of 1,853
Just added SZ2000 to the list - thanks for the review, mate!

Great photos as usual.

I'm super keen to try some of those out, unfortunately in my area they are either really hard to find, or cost around $600.

Cheers M8 :)

They cost me £245.50GBP ($412.46 USD), off Amazon UK, still quite expensive, but $600 is pushing it for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back