the Audiologists impressions thread (pun most definitely intended ;) )
Apr 23, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #181 of 296
Washington DC/Bethesda, MD area

I had my impressions made yesterday by Pam Mason, who is Sensaphonics certified. She was extremely knowledgeable and was able to explain every step of the process quite thoroughly. In this case, experience clearly shows. Well worth the $65 I spent, highly recommended.

May 29, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #182 of 296
I got my impressions made at the following place based upon a recommendation from Westone; they claimed "this account" had ordered ES3Xs from them previously and "more than likely" knew what they were doing. It's worth mentioning that Stephen placed my order for me and only charged me the full list price from Westone (no charge for the impressions, shipping, and no tax). I'm attaching some pictures of my impressions and would appreciate opinions on whether or not they'll be good enough to ensure a good first fit for the ES5s I just ordered.

Stephen Ratner
Hearing Aid Discount Center & Tinnitus
3389-A West Woolbright Road
Boynton Beach, Florida, 33436
561-734-0578

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #183 of 296
Hi Folks,

I visited Beth Orliss in Cresskill, NJ for impressions for the Westone ES-5. She's excellent. The ES5s fit great. They're very comfortable, more comfortable than the Shure SE530 with triple flange that I had been using. With the ES5s, I get a great seal, and the seal stays if I smile, move my jaw around, whatever. And they don't hurt, they don't irritate. It's been great.

I live in the Boston area, and my girlfriend and I drove down to Cresskill, NJ because I had read good things. Now, I get to write some nice things!

I ordered the ES5s from Beth, so she didn't charge for the impressions. I paid $950 plus shipping to Westone (I asked her to ship the impressions) and also shipping from Westone to me. The total was $1000. 

:)

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #184 of 296
I just went earlier today up to Atlanta to see Maria Wynens. I only called her yesterday to set up an appointment and I got a late afternoon appointment to accommodate my work schedule (the tail end of business hours). Pretty quick, all in all! I think <30 hours from phone call to impressions in hand. She clearly knows what she's doing and the procedure took very little time. The impressions looked great the first time through. The hardest part was probably finding her office complex (I got very lucky, let's just say that. I almost passed it.). If these impressions make for well-fitting iems, then I'd say it's definitely worth the drive.

As to the general process, I rather enjoyed it. The piece of cotton goes very deep where it's almost ticklish. Once both ears had been filled with goo, silence. I listened to my heart beat for a while. The hardest part is _not swallowing_. It's like a staring contest in how much self-control you have to exert (at least, I had to).

Here's a (rather poor) photo: 

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #185 of 296
Quote:
For those in the Silver Spring, Columbia, Baltimore area in Maryland, these folks are professional, and very friendly. $15/ear. Best price I have found in MD.

Advanced Hearing Centers, Inc.
8600 Snowden River Parkway,
Suite 309
Columbia MD 21045
1-877-255-3277.

I can't thank you enough for this post my friend! 

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #186 of 296
Quote:
For those in the Silver Spring, Columbia, Baltimore area in Maryland, these folks are professional, and very friendly. $15/ear. Best price I have found in MD.

Advanced Hearing Centers, Inc.
8600 Snowden River Parkway,
Suite 309
Columbia MD 21045
1-877-255-3277.

Just thought I'd mention, they're prices have changed. I hadn't realized how old the above post was, and was rather optimistic at first having been quoted the above price, but received a call from the audiologist just now informing me their prices have changed, to now $64 per ear. I've only ever had my impressions taken once, about 2 months ago, and it cost me $50 for both ears. The audiologist there (Debby Miller Au.D.) was very polite and sweet, and offered me a free impression if ever there impressions didn't turn out correctly. Location is as follows:

The Kaplan Hearing Center
8818 Centre Park Drive
Suite 107
Columbia, MD 21045
410-740-4885 or 301-260-0966

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #187 of 296
Frances Miranda is now asking $75 for ear impression only and $50 if making an order at the same time of making ear impression.

I also called Sonus today and they quoted $140 which is crazily high.

It seems like bad economy is making this business more and more expensive really really fast :frowning2:

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #189 of 296

Quote:
It seems like bad economy is making this business more and more expensive really really fast :frowning2:

The rising prices of audiologist services are the fault of neither the audiologists nor the economy.  Blame the folks responsible for the money supply and raise your own prices at the same rate as they expand the money supply.

But if you know of a good audiologist that's not yet raised his/her prices and is familiar with custom IEMs in:

1. Fairfield County, CT or
2. RTP (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area), NC

Please recommend.  It's about time that I took the half-step of re-shelling my TF10s.

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #190 of 296
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia? 
regular_smile .gif

Jan 5, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #191 of 296
Got some impressions yesterday in Seattle. It was hell. Had an appointment with Ballard hearing and speech. I mentioned what I needed he got a little huffy I left empty handed. Called Sonus (Edmonds), used them before. They told me 150 bucks for a set. Went to the Clinic at the University of Washington. Told me 70 bucks an ear and next week they can do it. Went to Costco, UUHHHH don't know how to charge you? Amy at Livewires was helping in the middle of all this mess. She found Washington Audiology Services a few minutes away from Costco and they charge 65 bucks. Had to get my Livewires repaired and the original company in California lost my impressions, I sent them to Minneapolis . Now they are upgrading them to 3 way's.

Jan 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #192 of 296

Quote:

NY Otolaryngology Group (Recommended by Sensaphonics and UE)
Dr. Julie Glick
212-884-8283
36A East 36th Street
Nice and professional. Got everything done in 15min. Doing a lot of business for Sensaphonics and UE custom IEMs.
Price: $50.

I went to Dr Glick for my impressions as well.  Great service.  The first time I went she said I had too much wax in my ears (oops) so I scheduled a back to back appointment to see an ENT upstairs to get that cleaned out then had my impressions done.  $20 copay for the ENT cleaning then $75 for my impressions.  I think the price jump to $75 may be because I was getting impressions for Unique Melody?  Not sure if they would have been cheaper had I gone UE.

She took a look at the impression from my left ear and instantly said "this one might not be good enough, lets do it again just to be sure".  I take that as a good sign. If you don't see any more from me here then that means everything went smoothly with the customs.  I would definitely recommend Dr. Glick from my experience thus far.  I'll likely be back if I ever scrape up enough to get a fancier set of customs.

EDIT:  got my reshells back from Unique Melody.  They fit beautifully.  I'm happy.

Jan 25, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #193 of 296
Hi guys, who's a good audiologist for the San Francisco area? Unfortunately, traveling far out of the city is not an option for me as I have no car so someone actually within range of the SF muni system is kind of required. Recommendations?

Jan 25, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #195 of 296
I called her for a quote yesterday, haven't heard back yet.

I did just hear back from Nancy Taitz of Ave. Hearing Aid Center. She was listed on the Ultimate Ears website. Price quoted was $65, which seems reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back