The Audio Technica M50 studio monitor thread
Sep 24, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #1,006 of 1,431
Does anyone wear these outside during the winter? I'm wondering if I can wear these to school outside in like -25 degrees. I'm in Toronto so our Winters can get a little nasty and I'm not sure whether these headphones were made for this kind of weather.

Has anyone actually worn these outside and is there anything wrong with wearing them during this kind of weather.

What's a signature?

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #1,007 of 1,431
Does anyone wear these outside during the winter? I'm wondering if I can wear these to school outside in like -25 degrees. I'm in Toronto so our Winters can get a little nasty and I'm not sure whether these headphones were made for this kind of weather.

Has anyone actually worn these outside and is there anything wrong with wearing them during this kind of weather.

What's a signature?

I have worn them comfortably in cold temperatures around 5 degrees celcius but never subzero temperatures. I wouldn't imagine there being a problem with very cold weather. There is more an issue with hot weather since it will make your ears sweaty when its warm. I dont really recommend using the M50s while walking around since they are bulky and have microphonics from the steps you take.

Sound signature is general type of frequency response of the headphone such as dark, warm, bright, neutral etc. The M50 is mostly neutral but a bit to the warm side.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,010 of 1,431

Hello everyone!

I am relatively new to full size headphones. I went with the ATH-M50 since it seemed to be VERY highly praised. And I must say I love them.

But, after an hour or two, the rims of my ears hurt because I think they are right against the inside plastic part of the headphones. It gets very uncomfortable. I stop enjoying the music because of the pain and have to take them off.

I tried searching around and the solutions seem to be taking it apart and such. But, I still have the option to return these headphones for a full refund. So, I was wondering if there are any better/more comfortable headphones around the same price range? (I spent $160 on these).

Thank you!

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,011 of 1,431
you could stuff the pads, in the part between the plastic baffle and the pad, like this

that will make the pads deeper and your ear wont be press against the baffle.

that or get some FA003 pads like I did 
beerchug.gif

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #1,012 of 1,431
I just received a pair from Amazon.co.uk and I'm relatively pleased with them. They seem to be sturdy enough and they have better than average soundstage for a closed design. My biggest gripe is the humongous bass - it's just overly pronounced. The mids are also scooped/recessed what you wanna call it... The treble is ok, but there are some not-so-nice frequencies peaking at times. I've tried these through my new iPod Touch and Apogee Duet headphone out. The Duet seems to drive my HD650s with ease, so I don't believe this is the problem.

I'm pretty much on the fence about burn-in and it's effectiveness, but I'm hoping to atleast to getting used to this overly fat sound signature. I bought the cans for cold weathers with my iPod.

Right now I don't really see where all this hype is coming from, since my DT770 80ohms give a much more balanced sound and tighter bass too. Flavour of the month?

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #1,013 of 1,431
Does anyone wear these outside during the winter? I'm wondering if I can wear these to school outside in like -25 degrees.

I have worn them comfortably in cold temperatures around 5 degrees celcius but never subzero temperatures. I wouldn't imagine there being a problem with very cold weather. There is more an issue with hot weather since it will make your ears sweaty when its warm. I dont really recommend using the M50s while walking around since they are bulky and have microphonics from the steps you take.

Sound signature is general type of frequency response of the headphone such as dark, warm, bright, neutral etc. The M50 is mostly neutral but a bit to the warm side.

So its ok to wear them in snow? I'm not too technical with how headphones actually work in regards to weather/temperature. I'm just wondering if anything can go wrong if I wear them during winter, like could some thing freeze and break, or something like that. I used to wear my old jbl headphones in the winter and they worked fine, but these are significantly more expensive and they are also my birthday present so I cannot take any risks with these.

What's a signature?

Oct 5, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #1,014 of 1,431
anywhere to get this pair at less than $159. scitscat is selling at $119 http://www.scitscat.com/p-4793-audio-technica-ath-m50s-professional-headphones-straight.aspx. not sure legit.

anyone spotted them around $100? this was the price most people got theirs, don't know why it shot up by like $60. when does amazon usually have sales, i only see the black fridays listed around thanksgiving. not sure if these will be discounted though and not sure if worth waiting for price to drop... or should i just get XB500
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 5, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #1,015 of 1,431

Quote:
I just received a pair from Amazon.co.uk and I'm relatively pleased with them. They seem to be sturdy enough and they have better than average soundstage for a closed design. My biggest gripe is the humongous bass - it's just overly pronounced. The mids are also scooped/recessed what you wanna call it... The treble is ok, but there are some not-so-nice frequencies peaking at times. I've tried these through my new iPod Touch and Apogee Duet headphone out. The Duet seems to drive my HD650s with ease, so I don't believe this is the problem.

I'm pretty much on the fence about burn-in and it's effectiveness, but I'm hoping to atleast to getting used to this overly fat sound signature. I bought the cans for cold weathers with my iPod.

Right now I don't really see where all this hype is coming from, since my DT770 80ohms give a much more balanced sound and tighter bass too. Flavour of the month?

It comes from audio technica being a lot of peoples first HQ headphone so they don't know any better personally I found these like budget sennheisers all bass and treble and no refinement at all and about as good as much much cheaper cans I sent mine back after one day don't believe in burn in on these is needed ? tbh I can normally tell whether I am going to like a can straight out of the box.I currently have goldring ns 1000 and they are far superior these sound average.I recently got to try some audio technica ath-a700 as well and quite rightly they are only good for gaming fps footsteps tbh found them lacking in every department I can get far better for the price in the UK.
In the sates though they probably are good value as Audio Technica stuff is far cheaper there.

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #1,016 of 1,431
anywhere to get this pair at less than $159. scitscat is selling at $119 http://www.scitscat.com/p-4793-audio-technica-ath-m50s-professional-headphones-straight.aspx. not sure legit.

anyone spotted them around $100? this was the price most people got theirs, don't know why it shot up by like $60. when does amazon usually have sales, i only see the black fridays listed around thanksgiving. not sure if these will be discounted though and not sure if worth waiting for price to drop... or should i just get XB500
confused_face_2.gif

$105 + shipping at soundprofessionals, but I guess scitscat would be cheaper because of the free shipping. They're both legit.

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #1,017 of 1,431
To Jerg (or anyone else who's tinkered with EQing on the M50),

How much did the M50 improve after your EQing process? A slight improvement? Or major leap? How do they compare afterwards with their peers (ex: Shure 840, Beyer 770, Ultra 580, etc.)?   The reason is I'm thinking maybe of switching my M50 to a bit of higher upgrade, but am willing to give it another chance if EQ can make it go another extra mile.

Thanks

Oct 9, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #1,018 of 1,431
I am looking for a place to buy them in Europe, in a online store, but I cannot find any place that are a authorized Audio Technica seller, which make me nervous.

Any official place, or any trustful online store to buy a pair of M50? Amazon.co.uk and .de, in Europe, do not sell this directly (only the non-amazon sellers inside Amazon) so I don't know what to do. 

Any help, please?

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #1,019 of 1,431
Two online stores in Germany:

http://www.thomann.de

http://www.musicstore.com

Oct 9, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #1,020 of 1,431
I bought a pair of M50's several days ago. Initially I was concerned there was too much bass but after listening for around 20+ hours I've grown accustomed to them. The brain burn-in process is happening slowly :) I'd been listening to HD558's for a week or two prior so the difference was quite big.

I definitely notice the lack of mids after spending time with the 558's, but as a overall headphone I find them more fun with my choice of music.

Quote:
I am looking for a place to buy them in Europe, in a online store, but I cannot find any place that are a authorized Audio Technica seller, which make me nervous.

You could try Musicmatter, which is listed as a 'premium seller' on the Audio Technica website - whatever that means. Looks like free delivery within the UK, but I don't know about mainland europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back