The Audio Technica ATH-M50X - the best headphone of choice for amateur AND professional music producers?!(a review/recommendation from a music producer)
Jan 5, 2018 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Audioholic123

500+ Head-Fier
I recently bought an Audio Technica ATH-M50X and after a couple of weeks of using them for recording/mixing/mastering and producing my own music on my computer, I have concluded that of all the "studio" headphones one can buy regardless of price - the ATH-M50X is the one to go for!.
Ideally, a music producer should be using a headphone that is durable, practical and has full spectrum accurate, clear and precise sound that doesn't require much amplification..unlike most other common "studio" headphones, the ATH-M50X ticks every box.

Bass: The ATH-M50X drivers are 45mm in size yet have a bass response more similar to 50mm drivers. The bass is more powerful and it has more sub-bass compared to the more popular Beyerdynamic DT770, DT880 and DT990..this is important because the ATH-M50X allows for better produced EDM music (for example).
Mid's: Some critics of the ATH-M50X are quick to say that the mid's are ruined by the powerful bass, but I don't think they understand the sound of this headphone and I disagree with them. The mids are detailed and smooth. Acoustic music sounds very good with the ATH-M50X.
High's: Very detailed and precise, lots of micro details in recordings can be heard clearly. There is some sibilance though it only shows with certain songs. Although a headphone with sibilance is not desirable when listening to music, it can be a good thing when you are mixing/mastering tracks you've recorded as it can help identify flaws.
Imaging and soundstage: One of the best headphones i've heard regarding imaging. The angled drivers gives the impression of a realistic soundstage, it is like listening to well placed speakers in a room.

Thanks for reading!

More info:
ATH-M50X frequency response:
206mnlx.jpg

20hak8y.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back