The Audio Lounge
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #26,701 of 35,690
A couple of new videos from Allison Young.
Allison Young singing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", featuring the Lockeland Strings -

Allison Young singing "Wasting Time", an original song she wrote a few years ago -

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #26,702 of 35,690
Well ontario right back where we started from, stay at home order aka March April 2020, schoold closed, everything shut down except essential services. On a waiting list for vaccine, if az gets rejected as safe, Canada fu*7ed

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #26,703 of 35,690
1617805250924.png

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #26,704 of 35,690
1617805355484.png

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #26,705 of 35,690
1617805407613.png

Apr 7, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #26,706 of 35,690
1617805680300.png

Apr 7, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #26,707 of 35,690
Not sure if I am too late with last Wednesdays Word of the Week.... Home

I was remineded of Dan Auerback's great album Keep It Hid last night while watching Peaky Blinders (finally). In the season one finale they played The Prowl from that album. The song, Goin' Home which is the closing song on the album and has a totally different vibe. It was intensely emotional for me as I relive the days from this time last year.... the days days from the 5th to the 15th fighting Covid with Tom (Hungrypanda for those who may not know he was my husband and the love of my life). Sunday the 5th was the day he came home with Covid after working 12 hour shifts at the hospital. He had quite an ordeal getting home that morning.... Sunday service, replacement bus for the train midway home, mile walk up the hill from the station.... it was awful but I guess he just wanted to be at home.... and he died at home on Wednesday the 15th of April.

Dan Auerbach - Goin' Home The album was on the server... I sat from 2 am until 3 am repeating it until I had no more tears... for a bit. I thought about Tom putting it on the server not knowing he would be gone and I would be listening.

This is the song I was originally going to post.... another beautiful and emotional song....by Leonard Cohen (of course)

Going Home from the album Old Ideas.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #26,708 of 35,690
WOW: Woman

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #26,710 of 35,690
WOW - woman

I saw Billy Joel perform many times back in the day.......Ann Arbor, Detroit, Toledo... sometimes waiting for tickets over night. Meanwhile across the ocean in Scotland, Tom was a fan too. I was surprised when he told me that Billy had a fan base there.

He was much younger when I saw him. I was too...

Billy Joel - She's Always A Woman (from Live at Shea Stadium)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #26,711 of 35,690
Last week's WOW!
I just spent 15mins thinking and collating, only to find I've missed the deadline.
Never let it be said that rules and deadlines were obstacles to Layman1 :D
I'll do the new WOW later in the week, but I feel these lovely, mellow, warm songs are too good to consign to the the dustbin of missed opportunities and hopefully you'll agree and hence overlook the tardiness :)

First up, a song I first heard in my teens I think, back when we all listened to entire albums as a matter of course :)
For some reason, I always mentally associate this song with a cosy feeling of coming in from snow and cold to a warm house with a log fire or similar!
It's U2, with a remastered version of 'A Sort of Homecoming' from their seminal album 'The Unforgettable Fire'.

I was too young to appreciate it at the time, but as a kind of former punk-type band, I'd imagine their Brian-Eno influenced switch to this more ambient and acoustic kind of music was a bit of a 'Bob Dylan playing electric guitar' moment for them and their fans? :D
NB: this is from the U2 official channel, so it may be blocked in other countries? Hope not!

Next, Jasmine Thompson.
Not such a fan of her recent offerings; I don't know if she's had voice coaching or the way she has her singing recorded and edited has changed, or her voice simply matured in this way, but she just sounds to me a bit too much like most other generic female pop artists now.
But this is from back when she was 14 or so, and sang like an angel, also with a curious accent and vocal inflections that made her really unique.
Her cover of the song 'Home':

Finally, from an album I love, 'Folkways: A Vision Shared', an album of true roots Americana, where a diverse range of artists cover songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, covering the roots of songs that helped develop the country and blues genres respectively.
This is one of two songs on the album performed by Bruce Springsteen; this one is "I ain't got no home"
I love, love, love this song and album. Been listening to it now for at least a couple of decades :)

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #26,713 of 35,690
Finally, from an album I love, 'Folkways: A Vision Shared', an album of true roots Americana, where a diverse range of artists cover songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, covering the roots of songs that helped develop the country and blues genres respectively

I have had that album forever. One of my favorites also. When I moved here from Michigan in 2006 to be with Tom I shipped over my collection of 2000 CDS. ..and the shelving units I had built and stained to hold them. They line the walls of the middle bedroom in this house.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #26,715 of 35,690
Last week's WOW!
I just spent 15mins thinking and collating, only to find I've missed the deadline.
Never let it be said that rules and deadlines were obstacles to Layman1 :D
I'll do the new WOW later in the week, but I feel these lovely, mellow, warm songs are too good to consign to the the dustbin of missed opportunities and hopefully you'll agree and hence overlook the tardiness :)

First up, a song I first heard in my teens I think, back when we all listened to entire albums as a matter of course :)
For some reason, I always mentally associate this song with a cosy feeling of coming in from snow and cold to a warm house with a log fire or similar!
It's U2, with a remastered version of 'A Sort of Homecoming' from their seminal album 'The Unforgettable Fire'.

I was too young to appreciate it at the time, but as a kind of former punk-type band, I'd imagine their Brian-Eno influenced switch to this more ambient and acoustic kind of music was a bit of a 'Bob Dylan playing electric guitar' moment for them and their fans? :D
NB: this is from the U2 official channel, so it may be blocked in other countries? Hope not!

Next, Jasmine Thompson.
Not such a fan of her recent offerings; I don't know if she's had voice coaching or the way she has her singing recorded and edited has changed, or her voice simply matured in this way, but she just sounds to me a bit too much like most other generic female pop artists now.
But this is from back when she was 14 or so, and sang like an angel, also with a curious accent and vocal inflections that made her really unique.
Her cover of the song 'Home':

Finally, from an album I love, 'Folkways: A Vision Shared', an album of true roots Americana, where a diverse range of artists cover songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, covering the roots of songs that helped develop the country and blues genres respectively.
This is one of two songs on the album performed by Bruce Springsteen; this one is "I ain't got no home"
I love, love, love this song and album. Been listening to it now for at least a couple of decades :)

Deadline? We don't have no stinking deadline...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back