The Audio Lounge
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #25,306 of 35,962
WOW: Electric

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #25,307 of 35,962
Wow:

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #25,311 of 35,962
@GearMe Electric Avenue is now stuck in my head for the next few days, lol. Every time you hear the song it's def an earworm.

HA! Thought about including a video on The Electric Slide...but then it'd be an earworm and we'd be replaying all those bad wedding reception playlists in our head

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #25,312 of 35,962

Aug 26, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #25,313 of 35,962
When Laura's track started bending westward towards Houston, I decided to evacuate to a friend's house, near Austin, TX. Work is shut down today & tomorrow, but will probably open back up up on Friday. As long as I know that the power is on where I live, then I'll be driving back to Houston that morning, to help with unwrapping the Labs, and powering on all the equipment.

Aug 26, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #25,314 of 35,962
Good luck

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #25,316 of 35,962
When Laura's track started bending westward towards Houston, I decided to evacuate to a friend's house, near Austin, TX. Work is shut down today & tomorrow, but will probably open back up up on Friday. As long as I know that the power is on where I live, then I'll be driving back to Houston that morning, to help with unwrapping the Labs, and powering on all the equipment.
Pretty nasty looking storm on paper and Texas is infamous for BIG nasty storms. Everything is bigger in Texas! I wish you the best.

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #25,317 of 35,962
Thanks everyone for your well wishes! Fortunately my immediate family has been just fine, well except no job for me. That's not a big deal since my wife is working.

Anyway I'm expecting really good things in the next couple of months. I'm keeping positive....

My well-wishes to you too, and hoping all the best for you and your family for the rest of this year :)

Aug 27, 2020 at 6:00 AM Post #25,318 of 35,962
Hi Loungers,

Just want to share something I posted on the Stealth Sonics thread.
That post was more about their U4 IEM, which I own and love.

However, I'm posting here more to draw some well-deserved attention to some ear tips I've heard recommended a lot on Head-Fi, and which I now can heartily recommend too.

I recently got a couple of sets of the Sedna Earfit Xelastec tips.
I've never liked the feel of silicone tips and (with the exception of the Symbio hybrids) never use them.
The Xelastecs have changed all that.
Just tried them on my Stealth Sonics U4 (using size ML), and the results were quite astonishing!

I've been using New Bee foam tips (large size, wide bore) with the U4.

The new Xelastec tips really bring a*significant* change in character.
I hear the upper mids and treble to be elevated and with significantly greater clarity.
The low end seems a bit diminished in presence and power, and there's a decrease in the warmth and richness that I love so much about the U4.

Switching back to the New Bee foam tips, what's interesting is that I expected I might feel a sense of dissonance or disappointment at a reduction in that treble and clarity.
But in fact the feeling was more like coming home in winter and sinking into a luxurious armchair/sofa in front of a log fire :)
I suppose I've really gotten used to that gorgeous rich, warm, thick timbre and, above all, the blissfully smooth sound signature.
It's my go-to IEM when I'm feeling stressed or fatigued.

It's not really a matter of one sound signature option being better than the other; simply a question of preferences.
I suppose what this means is that I now realise the U4 is able to cater for a more diverse range of tastes than I previously thought :)

I've also used the Xelastec tips on my new CA Solaris 2020, and again found them to be an excellent choice.

Anyone else here tried them? Any good synergies? :)

Aug 27, 2020 at 7:34 AM Post #25,319 of 35,962
Hi Loungers,

Just want to share something I posted on the Stealth Sonics thread.
That post was more about their U4 IEM, which I own and love.

However, I'm posting here more to draw some well-deserved attention to some ear tips I've heard recommended a lot on Head-Fi, and which I now can heartily recommend too.

I recently got a couple of sets of the Sedna Earfit Xelastec tips.
I've never liked the feel of silicone tips and (with the exception of the Symbio hybrids) never use them.
The Xelastecs have changed all that.
Just tried them on my Stealth Sonics U4 (using size ML), and the results were quite astonishing!

I've been using New Bee foam tips (large size, wide bore) with the U4.

The new Xelastec tips really bring a*significant* change in character.
I hear the upper mids and treble to be elevated and with significantly greater clarity.
The low end seems a bit diminished in presence and power, and there's a decrease in the warmth and richness that I love so much about the U4.

Switching back to the New Bee foam tips, what's interesting is that I expected I might feel a sense of dissonance or disappointment at a reduction in that treble and clarity.
But in fact the feeling was more like coming home in winter and sinking into a luxurious armchair/sofa in front of a log fire :)
I suppose I've really gotten used to that gorgeous rich, warm, thick timbre and, above all, the blissfully smooth sound signature.
It's my go-to IEM when I'm feeling stressed or fatigued.

It's not really a matter of one sound signature option being better than the other; simply a question of preferences.
I suppose what this means is that I now realise the U4 is able to cater for a more diverse range of tastes than I previously thought :)

I've also used the Xelastec tips on my new CA Solaris 2020, and again found them to be an excellent choice.

Anyone else here tried them? Any good synergies? :)

I talked about them HERE in this thread back in July, and I think you even liked the post, lol. I agree that they are a fantastic tip, and that they really bring out the mids and highs. I don't know if they really diminish the lows on the Hyla Sardas for me. But keep in mind I was using the regular silicone Sedna Earfits before, not foams.

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #25,320 of 35,962
I talked about them HERE in this thread back in July, and I think you even liked the post, lol. I agree that they are a fantastic tip, and that they really bring out the mids and highs. I don't know if they really diminish the lows on the Hyla Sardas for me. But keep in mind I was using the regular silicone Sedna Earfits before, not foams.

Yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. I have a memory like a sieve :joy:
Perhaps it also depends on where the low end power is coming from?
For example, the U4 is a very warm, rich and strong IEM, and I think most of its low end power comes from the mid-bass.
There's a bit of sub-bass extension and power too of course, but being an all-BA IEM, it doesn't have that impact and slam like dynamic drivers.
My guess would be that in providing a lift to the upper mids and treble, it decreases the emphasis/presence of the lower mids and the mid-bass?

So assuming your Hyla has a DD for the low end with powerful sub-bass as well, perhaps that's why there's less of an effect on the low end with the Hyla?

Pure speculative hypothesis here! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back