The Audio Lounge
Mar 14, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #22,621 of 35,676
Covid 19? Bring it on...

covid.png

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #22,622 of 35,676
Covid 19? Bring it on...

covid.png
So its your fault that I couldn't get toilet rolls this morning....genuinely i went shopping this morning and I managed to buy the last 4 pack of toilet rolls on the shelf!, and the amount of shoppers doing massive shops was shocking! Dont get me wrong I'm worried to some extent too especially as our death toll doubled nearly today but are people sh&ting themselves that much that they need that much toilet paper!
It is scary but panicking Is not helping especially in the toilet.

Mar 14, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #22,623 of 35,676
I've switched over to playing FLAC files from my PC -> Topping D70 DAC (dual AK4497) -> Loxjie Tube Hybrid (2x 6N3P-E tubes; 4x OPA1622 op-amps) -> ER2XR.
On the track "Nez Perce, by Kori L. Carothers, the piano / synthesizers and Native American flutes & drums / percussion really sounds impressive -

Also remembered another thing I have been doing of late with my ety are diy,ing the triple flange , I cut the 3rd inner flange off make them dual this allows them to go a bit deeper ( if you need etys are very deep) and more comfortable over long periods if ear canals are small.
20200220_100119.jpg

Mar 14, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #22,625 of 35,676
Just did a great walk this morning along the waterway. Had some great tunes playing to forget the world for a little while. M2X and the DMG were singing.
1584206250103.png

And I hate the term Social Distancing= Boring/clinical

I am choosing the phrase: Exiled for the Good of the Realm.
That sounds intriguing and mysterious. What did he do to get exiled?

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #22,626 of 35,676
I don't know why but this song has been stuck in my head for a couple of days now. Maybe all the pandemic talk casts new light on this tune.
Here it is to put into your head...

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #22,627 of 35,676
I don't know why but this song has been stuck in my head for a couple of days now. Maybe all the pandemic talk casts new light on this tune.
Here it is to put into your head...

The earworm strikes again. There's some pretty interesting science behind why we can't get songs or if it head.

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #22,628 of 35,676
@majo123 @DBaldock9
Ok, your talk have of the Ety ER series has me interested. I always thought (from the reviews I've read-never heard them) that these were a bright piece. Where I like a warm signature, do you think that these would be worth a try? Curious to hear your take on that.

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #22,629 of 35,676
@majo123 @DBaldock9
Ok, your talk have of the Ety ER series has me interested. I always thought (from the reviews I've read-never heard them) that these were a bright piece. Where I like a warm signature, do you think that these would be worth a try? Curious to hear your take on that.

I find this quite hard to answer because what i feel is bright is not necessarily the same as you or others....if you like dmg type sig then even though I have not tried them then I feel they may be a bit of a shocker...when I first got my er4xr I was using at the time some other warmer sig cant remember which , my description is it was like putting surgical instruments in your ears we are talking a crystal clear sound very very clean...but as I have already said once gotten used too its very hard to listen to a lot of other iems as they just don't sound accurate or realistic compared ...if I were you and I wanted to give ety a try firstly go for xr versions secondly buy from Amazon...there prices are pretty good and can return quite easily , if you lived closer i would of sent you mine to try, kevg has only canpfire, Solaris, andro, and he was Also quite impressed with them but they wouldn't be for him as they lack the bass he requires.

Hope this helps.

Edit I personally feel the ety has one of the best treble responses, its clean crystal but smooth and no nasty peaks

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #22,630 of 35,676
I do like the the idea great detail. I think I'm a semi-closet bass-head so not sure. But you're right, if I go through amazon, it gives me a couple weeks to try and see if I like them. I value your impressions @majo123 and trust what you like. It may be different from what I seek, but that is what draws us here. What draws someone in is the idea of what others love and hope to capture some of that passion. I'll look into some of the stuff available and see what I have to spend...I'll let you know. Cheers.

Mar 14, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #22,631 of 35,676
The ER2XR arrived today, and I installed the large triple-flange tips.
They're connected to my iBasso PB2 amp (2x Dual OPA627AU op-amps; 4x BUF634P Mono Buffer w/Class A Bias Resistors), and I'm watching "Lovejoy" on Acorn TV [ https://acorn.tv/lovejoy/ ].
They do have a "leaner" sound than I usually prefer, where the low Bass is there, but not as predominate as some of my other earphones.
After listening for a few hours, I'm really enjoying the ER2XR - and I can tell the Bass response has improved some.
One thing I saw mentioned in a review, is that the ER2XR is not very easy to drive (compared to the other Etys) - and I did notice having to turn the volume up higher on my PB2, to listen at the same level as my other earphones / earbuds.
Now, I've also listened to Spotify on my LG V30 (using WiFi), and its volume has to be turned up higher with the ER2XR, than with other earphones.
The ER2XR are not that easy to drive, and require some power to shine. They sound very dynamic through my desktop rig and ES100, but don't have the same energy straight from my LG V40 (low impedance mode).

For tips, some alternate ones that work well for me are Comply clone T100 size foams (a size smaller than what I use on other IEMs), or especially Future Sonics EarFill tips. The stock foam tips seal well for me, but they always seem to be "settling" in my ear canal and make a consistent crinkling noise.

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #22,632 of 35,676
I do like the the idea great detail. I think I'm a semi-closet bass-head so not sure. But you're right, if I go through amazon, it gives me a couple weeks to try and see if I like them. I value your impressions @majo123 and trust what you like. It may be different from what I seek, but that is what draws us here. What draws someone in is the idea of what others love and hope to capture some of that passion. I'll look into some of the stuff available and see what I have to spend...I'll let you know. Cheers.
Maybe 2xr as they are apparently a bit warmer but not heard them so dont quote me...for what its worth the 3xr are not far off 4xr but you do get what you pay for with 4xr and I do feel they are worth the extra , also i like the etys with dx160 as the body and slight low end lift of 160 definitely suits the ety sig.

4xr are my babies though

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #22,634 of 35,676
@HungryPanda
Thanks for this. I really like this. Good stuff.

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #22,635 of 35,676

Users who are viewing this thread

Back