The Audio Lounge
Mar 5, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #22,456 of 35,988
Non-Audio Question -
Did anyone else's Google Chrome and Opera (now based on Chrome) web browsers suddenly stop working today?
Firefox was working this morning, and so were the other two browsers.
But this evening, only Firefox is working - the other two are both displaying a "This site can't be reached" error message for all URLs.
I'm running Kubuntu 19.10.
One thing to note - on my Router / WAP, I've set the DNS Servers to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8.
On my Android phone, the Opera browser works fine when connected to my Wi-Fi Access Point - so the problem is just on the PC.
UPDATE: After running - sudo service network-manager restart - Chrome & Opera began working. Weird. :ksc75smile:

Mar 5, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #22,457 of 35,988
Somehow or another, I ended up on the mailing list for the Audio Advisor catalog.
Was just noticing, for folks who listen to vinyl albums, that you can get the Rega Planar 10 Turntable for $5,700, or the turntable and an Aphelion MC Cartridge for $9,700. :astonished:

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #22,459 of 35,988
Somehow or another, I ended up on the mailing list for the Audio Advisor catalog.
Was just noticing, for folks who listen to vinyl albums, that you can get the Rega Planar 10 Turntable for $5,700, or the turntable and an Aphelion MC Cartridge for $9,700. :astonished:

Let me save you some money and give you 92/93% (probably closer to 97%) of the same return :thinking: The RP8 is on again for $1995.00, Acetal 26mm Platter (As nice as Delrin and Acroplat) $222.00 and a Hana Green $475. All for less than half the Planar 10 alone:wink:

RP-8 Full Plinth.JPG

Or I prefer running mine Skeleton Plinth only:beerchug:

RP-8 Skeleton.JPG

Mar 5, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #22,461 of 35,988
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #22,462 of 35,988
Well, compared to the £30,000 Rega Naiad - yes the Planar 10 is a bargain... :ksc75smile:
https://hifilounge.co.uk/product/rega-naiad-turntable/

I don't know DB, I got the RP8 because I thought the 10 was just giving you less for more $$$ but that theory seems to be surpassed by the Naiad. I gave up those holy grail quest when I figure out that every time I thought I had it something else came along and I didn't :anguished:

@majo123 Funny how that scenario seems to replicate all the time in this hobby especially with Chi-Fi:smirk: Seems very loose on copyright infringement to say the least:thinking:

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #22,463 of 35,988
I don't know DB, I got the RP8 because I thought the 10 was just giving you less for more $$$ but that theory seems to be surpassed by the Naiad. I gave up those holy grail quest when I figure out that every time I thought I had it something else came along and I didn't :anguished:

@majo123 Funny how that scenario seems to replicate all the time in this hobby especially with Chi-Fi:smirk: Seems very loose on copyright infringement to say the least:thinking:

Well linsoul stock fearless iems too and I think they may (not certain so dont quote me) have fingers in that pie? Makes me think they are possibly one in the same??????

On another note my comets arrived today, bought them from an unknown to me supplier in Poland, did a bit of research before hand and they have more than a few shops in poland selling some nice gear ...would of cost me £220 import from campfire and £220 to buy in the uk ....I paid £150 with shipping brand new in the box 2 year warranty etc...very pleased and lovely little iems for work, comfortable and sound good too.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #22,464 of 35,988
Doubt that I'm following WOW protocol here and it's 41 minutes long but me thinks it will be a memorable 41 minutes especially for those who don't really know them :grin:

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #22,466 of 35,988
OK - Here's a general interest question -
What was your initial motivation for signing up on the Head-Fi Forums?

Mine was because I was investigating portable Amp/DACs in May, 2016 - before going to spend a couple of weeks in Mississippi & Tennessee for my Mom's open heart surgery at the end of June, 2016.
I ended up buying an iFi Micro iDSD.

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #22,467 of 35,988

Mine was because I was investigating portable Amp/DACs in May, 2016 - before going to spend a couple of weeks in Mississippi & Tennessee for my Mom's open heart surgery at the end of June, 2016.

Needed a new way to spend money that I did't have....

Mar 5, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #22,468 of 35,988

Needed good IEMs (well, better than basic crap to start at least). Found the massive list by |joker|, been lurking ever since.

Mar 5, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #22,469 of 35,988

well mine was th900 and hpA8, i was amazed that there even were HP desktop solutions. Well ever since then my wallet got ripped to shreds and that's with tremendous patience and denial. What helped and hurt was shooting for reference sort of from the get go, doesn't give humble people the opportunity to proliferate as much but gives great utils that help quench the need. But never the less head fi cost me plenty, but fun

Mar 5, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #22,470 of 35,988
@DBaldock9
Great question.
I was coming off a serious stint with optics (telescopes, binoculars, et. al.) and needed to get some better audio gear. I hadn't had any serious audio stuff for decades and saw the pull of portable HiRes audio as a neat way to get some decent tunes on the go. Funny, that I was just just thinking back to the 80s when portable Walkman and boomboxes were the height of tech. I cringe at the thought of cassettes and those monstrosities of hardware but still have fond memories at the same time. Ah, youth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back