The Audio Lounge
Dec 11, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #21,646 of 36,014
Below is a quote from a post I made not too long after getting the R3Pro. I still feel pretty much the same with the exception of noting the pitch black background and what appears to be a snappier version of the UI. I sometimes had a slightly slow reaction to hitting a button on screen with the R3 and have not had any issue with the R3 Pro.

Well il see how finances go in the new year , never a good time to be dap shopping lol...but I may indulge.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #21,648 of 36,014
You're not gonna fool me with that under $200 crap! $199 registers to me as $200 :p. Also, uhhh......ALAC/.m4a support? The regular R3 tech specs doesn't list it, though their little graphic diagram does. And the R3 Pro page doesn't mention a damn thing, though I assume it's the same as the R3. It's why I looked at the Fiio M6, which did explicitly list ALAC/.m4a. Anyway, likely not getting anything any time soon. The ol' iPod Touch continues to do its thing and the sound quality really isn't remotely as bad as some audiophiles would have you believe.

Well, the R3 Pro plays .m4a files. (Side note, it took me a minute to find a .m4a file...) And $199 is still technically under $200 lol.

2019-12-11.jpg

Edit: Downloaded a nicer ALAC .m4a and it sounds fantastic.
2019-12-11 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #21,649 of 36,014
Well, the R3 Pro plays .m4a files. (Side note, it took me a minute to find a .m4a file...) And $199 is still technically under $200 lol.

Edit: Downloaded a nicer ALAC .m4a and it sounds fantastic.
Sales tax would like a word with you :D. It's why I usually tend to refer to price brackets like this as "around $200", it just makes more sense to me.

They need to do a better job on the R3 Pro page. The spec list on the regular R3 page doesn't specify ALAC/.m4a, though I assume it works seeing as you have it working on the R3 Pro and they use the same CPU. The R3 Pro's tech specs section annoys me like far too many product pages these days though: it's very light on tech specs. When I look for a tech specs section, I WANT THE FULL SPECS. The regular R3's page is miles better; THAT'S what a spec section should look like.

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #21,650 of 36,014
Sales tax would like a word with you :D. It's why I usually tend to refer to price brackets like this as "around $200", it just makes more sense to me.

They need to do a better job on the R3 Pro page. The spec list on the regular R3 page doesn't specify ALAC/.m4a, though I assume it works seeing as you have it working on the R3 Pro and they use the same CPU. The R3 Pro's tech specs section annoys me like far too many product pages these days though: it's very light on tech specs. When I look for a tech specs section, I WANT THE FULL SPECS. The regular R3's page is miles better; THAT'S what a spec section should look like.

According to THIS review, the regular R3 also does ALAC.

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #21,651 of 36,014
You're not gonna fool me with that under $200 crap! $199 registers to me as $200 :p. Also, uhhh......ALAC/.m4a support? The regular R3 tech specs doesn't list it, though their little graphic diagram does. And the R3 Pro page doesn't mention a damn thing, though I assume it's the same as the R3. It's why I looked at the Fiio M6, which did explicitly list ALAC/.m4a. Anyway, likely not getting anything any time soon. The ol' iPod Touch continues to do its thing and the sound quality really isn't remotely as bad as some audiophiles would have you believe.
LOL. I bet if you contacted Musictek he would do $199 shipped and pay your tax. Andrew's that type of guy.

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #21,652 of 36,014
LOL. I bet if you contacted Musictek he would do $199 shipped and pay your tax. Andrew's that type of guy.

Also, since he himself said he was cheap (lol), he could always grab the R3 on the used market, they go around $100 to $120 from what I've seen.

Dec 11, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #21,653 of 36,014
Also, since he himself said he was cheap (lol), he could always grab the R3 on the used market, they go around $100 to $120 from what I've seen.
That's also what I'd end up considering if/when I move to a DAP. Used in excellent condition is fine by me. I tend to go brand new if the cost isn't much more than the used market, but when it's like half the price, that's much more tempting to go used market. Eh, maybe someday down the road. Anyone hooked up a smartwatch to one? Cuz I have my Fitbit Blaze connected to my iPod so I can do the basic music functions without taking it out of my pocket.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #21,655 of 36,014

Dec 11, 2019 at 7:26 PM Post #21,656 of 36,014

Dec 12, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #21,660 of 36,014
Before someone comes in here bragging about what just arrived today I will go on record as saying I think anyone who gives that Trinity/IM R Bob-jerk any more money is an idiot. That jerk still owes us 300 pound and we give him more money???????? I am so angry. I am so done with this crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back