The Audio Lounge
Dec 11, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #21,631 of 35,691
You can email Paul from ibasso he will be able to answer your question. He responds quicker to emails than if you PM him or tag him in a post.

I own the dx220 and while UI performance is not flag ship smartphone it is by far from unusable. For me it’s a non issue. But I can see where majo is coming from. From a sleep state, there is a lag in response but once awake I find it quite useable. As for battery life, I don’t have the time in my life right now to be able to listen for 4-6 hours and this is a device that I use at home and or work so I always have a charger close at hand. But I love the sound profile of ibasso especially when booted to the mango OS. I don’t own the dx160 but have read posts and views that the UI experience is better and sounds very close to dx220 with default amp 1 mk2 amp module. But you lose the ability to swap out amp modules. If thats a criteria you were after.

paul@ibasso.com
I agree .
My dx200 was ok and sounded fantastic, and the main reason I got rid of it was battery life and it didnt have quick charge , 5 hours on 4 hours charge.....but I have to be honest once you have used a fiio m11 you realise how great the rest can be and should be ...as I said in my post the ibasso are definitely doing rhe audio better but fiio are killing the build.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #21,632 of 35,691
I agree .
My dx200 was ok and sounded fantastic, and the main reason I got rid of it was battery life and it didnt have quick charge , 5 hours on 4 hours charge.....but I have to be honest once you have used a fiio m11 you realise how great the rest can be and should be ...as I said in my post the ibasso are definitely doing rhe audio better but fiio are killing the build.
I know how you feel with the hardware side. I look at stuff sometimes thinking maybe I'll replace my iPod Touch 5g with an actual DAP instead of a newer iPod Touch, but then I just end up not doing it. I was eyeing the Fiio M6 for a little bit recently because I don't want to spend all that much and I'm cheap, but it doesn't have BT5.0, which is disappointing to know. Less so for the audio quality, but more so because I think BT5.0 is supposed to be more power-efficient so if you've got BT5.0 earphones to connect up, it doesn't use as much juice as BT4.x connections. Anyway, my iPod still works, going on nearly 7 years now, probably gonna keep going until it dies or doesn't hold charge anymore.

Dec 11, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #21,633 of 35,691
I know how you feel with the hardware side. I look at stuff sometimes thinking maybe I'll replace my iPod Touch 5g with an actual DAP instead of a newer iPod Touch, but then I just end up not doing it. I was eyeing the Fiio M6 for a little bit recently because I don't want to spend all that much and I'm cheap, but it doesn't have BT5.0, which is disappointing to know. Less so for the audio quality, but more so because I think BT5.0 is supposed to be more power-efficient so if you've got BT5.0 earphones to connect up, it doesn't use as much juice as BT4.x connections. Anyway, my iPod still works, going on nearly 7 years now, probably gonna keep going until it dies or doesn't hold charge anymore.
....think I'm just getting a bit fed up with washing over the kinks so to speak , as you say your little ipod is still working wonders....the £100 shanling mo has excellent bluetooth, great build,smooth ui and good battery ......no excuse on £1000 dap or 100s for that matter.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #21,634 of 35,691

If you do decide to go with a DAP, take a look at the Hiby R3 Pro, it sounds fantastic and is the best DAP under $200 imo.

pf-5159ecf6-744e-4767-b321-7faa0d36b0d8--R3Pro10.jpg

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #21,635 of 35,691
Windows 10 update gave me a new surprise today. Took out my DNS settings. Thanks Microdouche.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #21,638 of 35,691
I may actually purchase one myself in the new year , dont have a dap for work at the minute

I think you'll be impressed with the Pro. It's got a good bit of power for such a small device and a noiseless floor, streams Tidal well, and I've had no issues with the Wi-Fi or BT. Paired with my Hyla TE5B's it's my favorite set up right now, they just have a phenomenal compatibility.

Dec 11, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #21,639 of 35,691
I think you'll be impressed with the Pro. It's got a good bit of power for such a small device and a noiseless floor, streams Tidal well, and I've had no issues with the Wi-Fi or BT. Paired with my Hyla TE5B's it's my favorite set up right now, they just have a phenomenal compatibility.
I heard that its pretty hiss free , I liked the r3 ....would you say big improvement?

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #21,643 of 35,691
I heard that its pretty hiss free , I liked the r3 ....would you say big improvement?

Below is a quote from a post I made not too long after getting the R3Pro. I still feel pretty much the same with the exception of noting the pitch black background and what appears to be a snappier version of the UI. I sometimes had a slightly slow reaction to hitting a button on screen with the R3 and have not had any issue with the R3 Pro.

As promised, here are some sound impressions of the R3 Pro vs the R3. It sounds similar to the R3 with just a bit better sub bass, better instrument placement, and a bit wider soundstage. I used the exact same settings on both the R3 and the R3 pro and A/B'ed them using my Hylas. Where you really notice the difference between them is the extra 100mW per channel from the 2.5mm balanced output. I would say that if you already have the R3 and don't have any issues running whatever IEMs or headphones currently, the R3 Pro isn't exactly necessary, but it is a bit better. I'm still glad I bought it and I just listed my R3 for sale because I'm keeping the Pro.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #21,645 of 35,691
If you do decide to go with a DAP, take a look at the Hiby R3 Pro, it sounds fantastic and is the best DAP under $200 imo.
You're not gonna fool me with that under $200 crap! $199 registers to me as $200 :p. Also, uhhh......ALAC/.m4a support? The regular R3 tech specs doesn't list it, though their little graphic diagram does. And the R3 Pro page doesn't mention a damn thing, though I assume it's the same as the R3. It's why I looked at the Fiio M6, which did explicitly list ALAC/.m4a. Anyway, likely not getting anything any time soon. The ol' iPod Touch continues to do its thing and the sound quality really isn't remotely as bad as some audiophiles would have you believe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back