The Audio Lounge
Jul 20, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #19,201 of 35,988
This pair of drivers and shells were $47.50 - and at that cost, I'm not going to do any more experimenting.

I built my own speakers and am constantly tweaking them. Not cheap!

Jul 20, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #19,202 of 35,988

For a moment when I first saw that, I thought the craft vise WAS the product; some kind of cool new headphone or similar :D

Although in the interests of full disclosure, my subconscious mind immediately thought "oh, he's made a time machine" :p

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #19,203 of 35,988
Does anyone remember when Integrated Amplifiers were the budget solution, instead of buying all separates?
Well, McIntosh has knocked that on the head... :ksc75smile:

The MA9000 is 101-lbs., and $10,000. :astonished:
Unfortunately in ultra highend audio $10K is still very much a budget component.:) Doubt this is anywhere near the most expensive integrated amp. Nice looking though.
MA9000-Front-Top-Balanced.ashx

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #19,204 of 35,988
for anyone who might be interested, I have published my review of the DX220 here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/review/22378/
By way of full disclosure, I received the unit free of charge in exchange for an unbiased review.
I have to say though, I'm genuinely very impressed and had little to complain about. UI/FW sometimes glitchy and less than stellar battery life. That's about it/

I had the pleasure of visiting @KEV G this week, and, in addition to some quality chat, getting to A/B test the DX220 (plus various AMP units and IEMs) vs the Sony WM1Z.
I think with any of the regular AMP units, the DX220 comes close enough that you're having to actively hunt for differences.
With my modded AMP8 (W), I had them neck and neck.

And by way of clarification, I absolutely love the WM1Z.
It wins hands down for build quality and is a thing of utter beauty. The sound quality is incredible. I covet it.
No, I WANTS it, I mussst have it, my precious.. :p

The only thing stopping me looking for deals on the used threads is the fact that I want to hear the Sony DMP-Z1 flagship first :p

Jul 20, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #19,205 of 35,988
Oh, and speaking of which, I went to let people on the DX220 know about my review, and all everyone is talking about is this new mega-DAP that iBasso are teasing on social media:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...ilable-and-dc01.898388/page-447#post-15073308
It seems to be aiming to offer a product analogous to the Sony DMP-Z1 $7k DAP/DAC-Amp (and possibly the A&K Kann Cube too).
It is imaginatively titled the DX220 MAX.
And now everyone's going crazy speculating about it and asking for details.
No interest for all the hard work I put into my review, haha :p

Jul 20, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #19,206 of 35,988
My TSMR-3's and my Hidizs AP80 both came in earlier today, so I decided to break out the portable gear and do some A/B/C/D'ing lol. I'll put some pics in the spoiler below. The TSMR-3's are exactly what I was looking for to go along with my BGVP IEMs. The Tansios have a bit less detail and stage than the BGVP, but the lows are wonderful. The AP80 isn't my Hiby, but it's a steal at the $105 I paid for it. It's so small, will be great for the gym or a run.

1.jpg

TSMR-3
4.jpg

Hidizs AP80
2.jpg
6.jpg

BGVP DM6 & DM7, Trinity Icarus III
3.jpg
7.jpg

Bonus: I don't have a cable problem!!
5.jpg
Sadly, this is not all of them.... :p

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #19,207 of 35,988
My TSMR-3's and my Hidizs AP80 both came in earlier today, so I decided to break out the portable gear and do some A/B/C/D'ing lol. I'll put some pics in the spoiler below. The TSMR-3's are exactly what I was looking for to go along with my BGVP IEMs. The Tansios have a bit less detail and stage than the BGVP, but the lows are wonderful. The AP80 isn't my Hiby, but it's a steal at the $105 I paid for it. It's so small, will be great for the gym or a run.

TSMR-3

Hidizs AP80

BGVP DM6 & DM7, Trinity Icarus III

Bonus: I don't have a cable problem!!

Sadly, this is not all of them.... :p

Nice. Do you like red? :)

Jul 20, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #19,209 of 35,988
Anyone in the UK remember a current affairs program called Weekend Worrld back in the 70s, at that young age I couldn’t give a monkeys about current affairs but loved the theme tune. Here you go @Layman1
Mountain

And he’s right about that modded amp8, that’s a killer amp and if it were me, I’d sell Amp9 :L3000:

Jul 20, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #19,211 of 35,988
Beautiful!

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #19,213 of 35,988
Oh, and speaking of which, I went to let people on the DX220 know about my review, and all everyone is talking about is this new mega-DAP that iBasso are teasing on social media:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dx2...ilable-and-dc01.898388/page-447#post-15073308
It seems to be aiming to offer a product analogous to the Sony DMP-Z1 $7k DAP/DAC-Amp (and possibly the A&K Kann Cube too).
It is imaginatively titled the DX220 MAX.
And now everyone's going crazy speculating about it and asking for details.
No interest for all the hard work I put into my review, haha :p
I appreciate your revi... Wait what?! Something new from iBasso! Come on man, spill the beans! :D Just kidding. Great work on the review!

Still, that DX220 Max might be interesting. I don't really need a new DAP, but would like something along the lines of the DMP-Z1. A desktop-DAP, so to speak, but with a considerably lower price tag. That might really interest me. A nice clean, all-in-one solution with the power to drive most headphones and clean enough for sensitive IEMs. If I had money to burn I would buy the Sony, but alas I am a mere mortal.

Jul 21, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #19,214 of 35,988
I appreciate your revi... Wait what?! Something new from iBasso! Come on man, spill the beans! :D Just kidding. Great work on the review!

Still, that DX220 Max might be interesting. I don't really need a new DAP, but would like something along the lines of the DMP-Z1. A desktop-DAP, so to speak, but with a considerably lower price tag. That might really interest me. A nice clean, all-in-one solution with the power to drive most headphones and clean enough for sensitive IEMs. If I had money to burn I would buy the Sony, but alas I am a mere mortal.

spill-the-beans-plain.jpg

Jul 21, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #19,215 of 35,988
I've got one or two CDs from Béla Fleck, but hadn't heard the "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" disc, mentioned by @mbwilson111 - so I recently ordered a copy.
Listened to it this afternoon (PC [TOSLINK] -> Topping D70 [Single-Ended] -> iBasso PB2 (2x Burson V6 Classic; 4x BUF634P Buffers w/Class A Bias Resistor) [Balanced] -> homemade 600Ω Beryllium Earbuds), and I'm enjoying the sound quality - of the disc and the earbuds. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back