The Audio Lounge
Sep 13, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #3,316 of 35,965
This actually brings up a topic that I wanted to broach with this thread. Sorry about the length, but this is a discussion thread. Let's discuss...

DAPs and their functionalities & sound vs DAP with an additional AMP.

Setting the stage:
Since I got my first set of good headphones from my wife for an anniversary gift (AKG-702), I have had a portable amplifier.
I started out with an iPod touch > Headstage Arrow 2.2g amp. This had 3-6-9 dB of gain to choose. And I could use it with the AKG or my Ultimate Ears Triple-fi. This also had a bass boost, and 2 headphone outputs. Great for sharing a tablet on a plane.

I was also told (and experienced) that the power output of the iPod wasn't as good as an external amplifier. So I had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS running a stack. I would use the line out of the ipod to bypass the inner amp circuitry and input to my amp. I was perfectly happy.
(It just so happens that I also am a devoted user of MP3Gain. That makes all of my tracks the same level (approx 90dB) so that when I'm listening to shuffled songs, they all sound about the same and I don't have to adjust the volume. But the downside to that is that the signal level is significantly reduced on the iPod. So amplifiers work wonders with that as well.)

As I got more and more equipment and headphones, I also started re-ripping my collection of MP3 320 to FLAC Level 5. (Still working on that.)
Initially I downloaded a FLAC player for the ipod touch. But that was just not gonna cut it. Too difficult to use, not enough memory. Not an Apple product on an apple device. All those reasons.
So I bought an iBasso DX50. My first (non ipod) DAP. Worked well. sounded good. Decent price. Then i continued to read about all the new DAPs coming out. But I didn't find anything in price to features that would make me jump. (Until this month. more later.)

Amps:
In the meantime, I was also collecting amps. My target amp was the Ray Samuels Audio Intruder. I selected this amp because I heard an RSA SR-71 at a meet. I also heard one of the Meir Audio Corda amps and liked it just as much. But it didn't have a re-chargable battery. Just replaceable 9V. I wanted something I could charge.

And, the Intruder was not cheap. So I picked up a Niko Soundlabs V2. It was cheap. (Good amp from England. But Line-in, not digital.) Then I bought the RSA Intruder. Then I found a desktop receiver that I only use for headphones. The Peachtree Audio Decco 65. And I bought a Unison Research SH tube amp (desktop). And I bought a smaller RSA Predator.

Question:
So here is my question to the group.
Has anyone considered finding an amp, or a DAC/Amp that you really like, and then finding the DAP that will best match with that amp?
I started this journey as being 100% portable (or transportable). I never sit in front of a computer to play music.

Supporting Data and opinion:
My assumption is that people want the best sound (to you). To get the best sound, I want to get the best files that I can hear a difference. For me, that is CD Ripped FLAC for my DAPs, and MP3-320 for my iPods. I have a few High res files, but I'm still determining if I can hear a difference. After the file, wouldn't you want the most direct route to be to your decoder, amp, and then headphones? Some people like amps that color the sound. Tube amps, for example. Some want no color at all and want the amp to be a direct cable that only amplifies signal.

So my thinking would be get the player that will give you the file resolution playback you want. Then pick the DAC/AMP that fits you. Then connect them.

Suggested DAP/DAC/Amp combos:
An example of this would be the Cayin N3 or the Shanling M1 or M2S to a Chord Mojo.
These DAPs are 150 to 200 dollars and you can connect digital out to the Chord Mojo. (more expensive, but supposedly worth it.)
The Daps will play the resolution you want, and the Mojo will decode it and amplify it. (I've not heard the Mojo, but I have heard many good things about it, and it is on my target list to try.)

The solution I have right now is the N3 > digital out > RSA Intruder. I'm still using my old tried and true setup, but now instead of line-in, I'm using the DAC input. So the N3 is only acting as file transport.
The main difference in my setup and the mojo setup is the resolution of my DAC. The Intruder will only decode 16/44. So that is fine and dandy for me.

Other options I've see are the ifi. Some speak very highly of the ifi micro black label DAC/amp.
I'm sure there are as many options out there.

I fell like if you find an amp you really, really like. You can tailor your transport to the needs of your Dac/amp, and the sounds you like and are looking for.

Answer to Bob's question:
@JustBobski . I would suggest you look at the N3 and Shanling M2S. Both have been proven to do digital output to the Mojo.
Mojo can decode just about anything that is thrown at it.
Both have Hiby link that can use bluetooth transmit from your phone to the DAP. (But it is low rez bluetooth. They will not receive ABX blootooth, but will transmit it. So you can use tidal from your phone to the Mojo. (Mojo also has the Poly option, but the Hiby link is cheaper than Poly.)

And, of course, you can listen directly out of the headphone jack. I would not suggest N3 if you need to do LINE OUT.

If you don't listen to high resolution files, I really like the Intruder. But why limit yourself.

JaeYoon
@JaeYoon . I was also thinking about you and your magic flower pot when I came up with this quesion. With the Aune A3, and the Opus 1 through 20 you are buying, plus the We Kann do it... I'm suggesting you look at a cheap transport that does everything you want and supports your files with usb digital out, or coax out. Then find a DAC and amp that suits your sound with all your 5 or 6 CA iems. (ha ha)

Downside:
The biggest downside that I've seen is that people don't want to carry around a Brick, or a stack, or a stack of bricks. That is valid. I have a 49 dollar Fiio M3. It plays flacs. I use it when I cut the grass. But if I want to actually listen to quality music, I pull out the N3>Intruder>Hunter. Awesome sound. For portable, I still have a stack. I use my ipod nano > permanantly mounted to my RSA Predator > Trinity Delta VII. It fits in a small camera case and in the pocket of my cargo shorts.

Thoughts?
Flame me. Agree with me? Don't care? Tell me what you guys think.
Hi there,

I can't decide between cayin N3 vs Shanling M2S, and there's even M3S coming out on top of that. I will only use the DAP to pair with IEMs/CIEMs only btw. Could you provide some thoughts? Thanks a lot

Sep 13, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #3,317 of 35,965
Hi there,

I can't decide between cayin N3 vs Shanling M2S, and there's even M3S coming out on top of that. I will only use the DAP to pair with IEMs/CIEMs only btw. Could you provide some thoughts? Thanks a lot

I reviewed them both, so I'll chime in here. They're both good DAP's with warm, organic sound signatures.
I would give the edge to the M2s in terms of sound quality and appearance (possibly navigation too, but that's a personal preference).

However, the N3 has every conceivable kind of functionality you could possibly wish for.. USB DAC, streaming from a mobile phone, all kinds of stuff. My memory's a bit hazy, but do check reviews. I think there are links to my ones in my signature, but there will also be more comprehensive ones out there somewhere too.

If your main priority is sound quality and you're not that bothered about the bells and whistles, I'd throw the following two DAP's into the mix: the xDuoo X3 (about half the price of the two DAPs you mentioned!) and the Aune M1s (about $50 more? not 100% sure).
Both have beautiful transparent, reference sound signatures, with lots of detail, clarity and good sound stage.
I hands-down preferred them both overall to the two you mentioned, but again, that's a personal preference.
If you prefer a more warm and organic sound signature, then the two you suggested would probably be a better fit.

Although in both cases, it depends on what IEM's you're going to be using.
Often, a transparent, reference, neutral kind of DAP matches well with somewhat warm/organic IEM's, and vice versa.
Too much of the same thing can lead to overkill :)

Hope this helps, let us know what you choose! :)

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #3,318 of 35,965
Just popping in to say hey fella's been jamming on the Gray Ghost rig today and for less than $48 bones simply loving it.

Matte Gray.JPG

Saw my Audio Shrink the other day and can't believe with all the shims I've given him he then told me that Audio Nirvana was a pipe dream:open_mouth:

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #3,319 of 35,965
So nevermind, the Pinnacle P2s are actually coming to me tomorrow. I thought they were actually showing up next week because when I paid for them, they were projected to be in stock to be packed and shipped tomorrow which is why I expected them next week. I hope I can find the time to check them before next week though :D

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #3,320 of 35,965
I'm just hoping mine (also coming tomorrow) sound as good as my P1's, just loving the Black Matte finish on the P2's:yum: Ordered Lee's gray balanced cable for mine for the Opy #1:wink:

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #3,321 of 35,965
So nevermind, the Pinnacle P2s are actually coming to me tomorrow. I thought they were actually showing up next week because when I paid for them, they were projected to be in stock to be packed and shipped tomorrow which is why I expected them next week. I hope I can find the time to check them before next week though :D
If you can't find the time, some one here will be glad to listen for you. :)

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #3,322 of 35,965
Just popping in to say hey fella's been jamming on the Gray Ghost rig today and for less than $48 bones simply loving it.

Saw my Audio Shrink the other day and can't believe with all the shims I've given him he then told me that Audio Nirvana was a pipe dream:open_mouth:
What DAP is that? Clean looking block, simplified essential interface, nice contrast to all the super complicated interfaces today. Also, mhhmmm, red Porsche 959 wallpaper :D

Sep 13, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,323 of 35,965
I'm just hoping mine (also coming tomorrow) sound as good as my P1's, just loving the Black Matte finish on the P2's:yum: Ordered Lee's gray balanced cable for mine for the Opy #1:wink:
The P2s are matte black? I thought they were gloss black....
Also, from what I've read, it's gonna sound very different from the P1, which I may be very okay with as well. What I'm getting very curious about is how it is compared to the M7 Pro because this thing is $50 cheaper.

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #3,324 of 35,965
Hmm, these look matte to me but I'm old with bad eyes:-0

06_20170629125300.jpg

Sep 13, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #3,325 of 35,965
Hmm, these look matte to me but I'm old with bad eyes:-0

06_20170629125300.jpg
That exact picture is the one from the Massdrop site for the Pinnacle PXs, which is basically a no-frills super dark blue version of the P1 for just a bit over $100. THESE are the Pinnacle P2s. You may need to get your eyes checked for more than just color :wink:

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #3,326 of 35,965
That exact picture is the one from the Massdrop site for the Pinnacle PXs, which is basically a no-frills super dark blue version of the P1 for just a bit over $100. THESE are the Pinnacle P2s. You may need to get your eyes checked for more than just color :wink:
Daaaaaannngg brutal lol.
:thinking: really like the OG p1 aluminum build more.

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #3,327 of 35,965

Indeed midge, I have the Massdrop version coming. Guess I was thinking they were the 2. Glad they may sound like my 1's. I stand corrected:wink:

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #3,328 of 35,965

Also would like to know what DAP this is! Only one I found that looks exactly like it is from Shinywe Tech.

Sep 13, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #3,330 of 35,965
Indeed midge, I have the Massdrop version coming. Guess I was thinking they were the 2. Glad they may sound like my 1's. I stand corrected:wink:
Better news: neither of us are blind, at least not yet :D. Yeah, as far as I know, the PX is supposed to be pretty much the P1 but with a new coat of paint and fewer accessories so the price is way lower. Supposed done just like how the HD6XX is the HD650 with the Massdrop color, the PX is supposedly the P1 but with the Massdrop coloring. I imagine that where they're cutting most of the pricing is in the accessories. I'm guessing the price drop comes from not including the original SPC cable and then applying the usual slight Massdrop discount method.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back