Apr 7, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #26,716 of 26,823

groucho69

Headphoneus Supremus
WOW: Woman

Apr 7, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #26,718 of 26,823

mbwilson111

Headphoneus Supremus
WOW - woman

I saw Billy Joel perform many times back in the day.......Ann Arbor, Detroit, Toledo... sometimes waiting for tickets over night. Meanwhile across the ocean in Scotland, Tom was a fan too. I was surprised when he told me that Billy had a fan base there.

He was much younger when I saw him. I was too...

Billy Joel - She's Always A Woman (from Live at Shea Stadium)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #26,719 of 26,823

Layman1

Headphoneus Supremus
Last week's WOW!
I just spent 15mins thinking and collating, only to find I've missed the deadline.
Never let it be said that rules and deadlines were obstacles to Layman1 :D
I'll do the new WOW later in the week, but I feel these lovely, mellow, warm songs are too good to consign to the the dustbin of missed opportunities and hopefully you'll agree and hence overlook the tardiness :)

First up, a song I first heard in my teens I think, back when we all listened to entire albums as a matter of course :)
For some reason, I always mentally associate this song with a cosy feeling of coming in from snow and cold to a warm house with a log fire or similar!
It's U2, with a remastered version of 'A Sort of Homecoming' from their seminal album 'The Unforgettable Fire'.

I was too young to appreciate it at the time, but as a kind of former punk-type band, I'd imagine their Brian-Eno influenced switch to this more ambient and acoustic kind of music was a bit of a 'Bob Dylan playing electric guitar' moment for them and their fans? :D
NB: this is from the U2 official channel, so it may be blocked in other countries? Hope not!

Next, Jasmine Thompson.
Not such a fan of her recent offerings; I don't know if she's had voice coaching or the way she has her singing recorded and edited has changed, or her voice simply matured in this way, but she just sounds to me a bit too much like most other generic female pop artists now.
But this is from back when she was 14 or so, and sang like an angel, also with a curious accent and vocal inflections that made her really unique.
Her cover of the song 'Home':

Finally, from an album I love, 'Folkways: A Vision Shared', an album of true roots Americana, where a diverse range of artists cover songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, covering the roots of songs that helped develop the country and blues genres respectively.
This is one of two songs on the album performed by Bruce Springsteen; this one is "I ain't got no home"
I love, love, love this song and album. Been listening to it now for at least a couple of decades :)

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #26,721 of 26,823

mbwilson111

Headphoneus Supremus
Finally, from an album I love, 'Folkways: A Vision Shared', an album of true roots Americana, where a diverse range of artists cover songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, covering the roots of songs that helped develop the country and blues genres respectively

I have had that album forever. One of my favorites also. When I moved here from Michigan in 2006 to be with Tom I shipped over my collection of 2000 CDS. ..and the shelving units I had built and stained to hold them. They line the walls of the middle bedroom in this house.

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #26,723 of 26,823

groucho69

Headphoneus Supremus
Last week's WOW!
I just spent 15mins thinking and collating, only to find I've missed the deadline.
Never let it be said that rules and deadlines were obstacles to Layman1 :D
I'll do the new WOW later in the week, but I feel these lovely, mellow, warm songs are too good to consign to the the dustbin of missed opportunities and hopefully you'll agree and hence overlook the tardiness :)

First up, a song I first heard in my teens I think, back when we all listened to entire albums as a matter of course :)
For some reason, I always mentally associate this song with a cosy feeling of coming in from snow and cold to a warm house with a log fire or similar!
It's U2, with a remastered version of 'A Sort of Homecoming' from their seminal album 'The Unforgettable Fire'.

I was too young to appreciate it at the time, but as a kind of former punk-type band, I'd imagine their Brian-Eno influenced switch to this more ambient and acoustic kind of music was a bit of a 'Bob Dylan playing electric guitar' moment for them and their fans? :D
NB: this is from the U2 official channel, so it may be blocked in other countries? Hope not!

Next, Jasmine Thompson.
Not such a fan of her recent offerings; I don't know if she's had voice coaching or the way she has her singing recorded and edited has changed, or her voice simply matured in this way, but she just sounds to me a bit too much like most other generic female pop artists now.
But this is from back when she was 14 or so, and sang like an angel, also with a curious accent and vocal inflections that made her really unique.
Her cover of the song 'Home':

Finally, from an album I love, 'Folkways: A Vision Shared', an album of true roots Americana, where a diverse range of artists cover songs by Woody Guthrie and Leadbelly, covering the roots of songs that helped develop the country and blues genres respectively.
This is one of two songs on the album performed by Bruce Springsteen; this one is "I ain't got no home"
I love, love, love this song and album. Been listening to it now for at least a couple of decades :)

Deadline? We don't have no stinking deadline...

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #26,725 of 26,823

Richsvt

Headphoneus Supremus
Wow: Woman

Apr 7, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #26,726 of 26,823

Richsvt

Headphoneus Supremus
One more:

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #26,728 of 26,823

groucho69

Headphoneus Supremus
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #26,729 of 26,823

Richsvt

Headphoneus Supremus
not sure if this was posted from @Ryokan as the first video wouldn't play, so taking on more with Jeff Lynne,

Users who are viewing this thread