The Audio Lounge
Jun 2, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #24,721 of 36,011
How often are doctors right? My son broke his arm and the doc said 6 weeks... it took 24 weeks to heal.
It sounds more like you need a new doc. Maybe one with realistic expectations that knows how to separate medically speaking to realistically speaking? I think medically, that's right, but in practice....not close. Medically, bones heal in about 6-8 weeks; I don't consider that to mean you're back to your old self in that time. It's more like 6-8 weeks of doing literally nothing that can move the healing sections (which is naturally impossible) and the bones will look healed on an X-ray. Except as humans, we kinda have to move around and stuff so practically, the healing time is much longer, not to mention that once it looks all sealed together, that by no means indicates you're able to put any amount of stress on it again the way you used to. The really good doctors know what's medically true, even accounting for the variances that exist from person to person, but they also know that likely won't apply as it's only true in the most ideal of conditions and life just doesn't provide those kind of conditions. Hope that toe gets sorted out soon enough though, total bummer.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #24,722 of 36,011
Hi people, I have a question that I'm reasonably sure one of you (or indeed most of you) will know how to answer :)

I'm looking for a budget DAP for someone.
They're not (yet) an audiophile, but I've given them some IEMs to try and they really liked them.
Looking for a DAP, ideally around £100 or less (substantially less is fine, but would prefer one with a touchscreen). Happy to buy secondhand, if one can be found.
Ideally small, but also with very easy to use and smooth UI.

Ok, the ball is in your court. Fire away. (insert other mixed metaphor of choice) :ksc75smile:

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #24,723 of 36,011
Hi people, I have a question that I'm reasonably sure one of you (or indeed most of you) will know how to answer :)

They're not (yet) an audiophile, but I've given them some IEMs to try and they really liked them.
Looking for a DAP, ideally around £100 or less (substantially less is fine, but would prefer one with a touchscreen). Happy to buy secondhand, if one can be found.

Ok, the ball is in your court. Fire away. (insert other mixed metaphor of choice) :ksc75smile:
Shanling M0? Small, affordable and packs a punch.

Jun 2, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #24,725 of 36,011

You could get the FiiO M6 for a little over budget. But for a little more over the budget you could get the Hidizs AP80 Pro, which is a loaded little player for the money. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions under the £100 mark other than the Shanling M0 that @Wyville suggested.

Jun 2, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #24,726 of 36,011
I also vote for the M0. Great little device and sounds really good for its price point/size. I regret selling mine...love the new Iron Man colors out now...
1591128182877.png

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #24,727 of 36,011
@Layman1 I was looking at some reviews of the Q1. Here's what one of the reveiwers says about the Q1..... "I have the M0 and agree with other reviews that the Q1 soundstage is broader and detail is greater, along with a slightly warmer, more analog sound. The display sometimes fails to respond to touches. So, the play/pause, previous/next track buttons get accidentally hit too easily. Overall, excellent. Worth 2x-3x or more of its low price". The screen freezing is a little concerning, but the audio quality sounds amazing and a definite upgrade to the M0.

P.S. I think this person has a bad Q1. I've read through some more reviews and no one is having this issue....

1591130677814.png

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #24,728 of 36,011

Hiby R3? Don't own one but others here have been talking it up a bit.

There is one on the for sale forums for $90

Hiby_R3

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #24,729 of 36,011
Shanling M0? Small, affordable and packs a punch.
Agreed...got rid of DAPs when I got LG phones...that said, picked up the M0 for $99 and use it when working out, mowing lawn, etc. Great piece of kit for the money!

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #24,730 of 36,011
Amazing performance

Jun 3, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #24,731 of 36,011
WOW: Long

Jun 3, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #24,734 of 36,011
wow: Long

Jun 3, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #24,735 of 36,011
Thanks all for your suggestions!
Am considering the R3 or R3 Pro (anyone know what the difference is?).
Or indeed the new R3 Pro Sabre.
Slightly over my proposed budget, but not - in the case of the first two - if I buy secondhand.

I don't know a huge amount about these DAPs (translation: almost nothing in fact), but am wondering if they might offer better sound quality than the Shanling M0?
I like the fact that the screen looks easier for a DAP n00b to navigate maybe? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back