The Audio Lounge
Feb 6, 2020 at 11:34 AM Post #22,232 of 36,012
Hey Loungers, do any of you have a idea for a good balanced DAC to use with my Monolith THX 887 amp? I'm looking to spend $500 or less. I like warm with lots of detail. I just bought an SMSL SU-8 DAC but it was super thin which I didn't like and the remote was broken out of the box. I'm going to return it to Amazon, really unimpressed with the sound and QC. Anyway, if you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

EDIT: This is kind of moot now, lol. I found a used Emotiva Stealth DC-1 here and bought it. I really love my Emotiva XDA-2 DAC but it has a massive footprint. I'm hoping the DC-1 gives me everything I love about the XDA-2 in a much smaller package.
Took you barely 3 hours between asking for suggestions and then not needing them haha. SMSL was definitely the wrong way to go for you; IME, their gear has always been super linear. High clarity, definitely no added warmth whatsoever.

Feb 6, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #22,233 of 36,012
Took you barely 3 hours between asking for suggestions and then not needing them haha. SMSL was definitely the wrong way to go for you; IME, their gear has always been super linear. High clarity, definitely no added warmth whatsoever.

Yep, SMSL is for sure not for me. But on top of that I think there was something wrong with the SU-8's balanced inputs. The amp sounded thin but OK via RCA but sounded horrible via XLR.

The 3 hours was super quick. I had put up a WTB thread here, reddit, and the other site we're not allowed to say here only to find a sale thread from last month here for the Stealth DC-1, rendering them useless, lol. But, that being said, I'd still like to hear some possible ideas from Loungers as for what balanced DACs might fit my needs. I can't be sure the DC-1 is for me until I get some time in with it.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #22,234 of 36,012
Hey Loungers, do any of you have a idea for a good balanced DAC to use with my Monolith THX 887 amp? I'm looking to spend $500 or less. I like warm with lots of detail. I just bought an SMSL SU-8 DAC but it was super thin which I didn't like and the remote was broken out of the box. I'm going to return it to Amazon, really unimpressed with the sound and QC. Anyway, if you have any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

EDIT: This is kind of moot now, lol. I found a used Emotiva Stealth DC-1 here and bought it. I really love my Emotiva XDA-2 DAC but it has a massive footprint. I'm hoping the DC-1 gives me everything I love about the XDA-2 in a much smaller package.

I bought a Topping D70 (2x AK4497EQ chips (32-Bit / 768-KHz, DSD512) USB, I2S, SPDIF, & TOSLINK Inputs; Single-Ended & Balanced Outputs) DAC, when they were on-sale for $475. I think the SRP is still $500.
The Single-Ended and Balanced outputs can be used simultaneously.
Until I finish assembling the Balanced Input cable for my iBasso PB2 (which uses a HiRose 6-Pin connector), the only Amp with Balanced Inputs I've got, is my Loxjie P20 (Fully Balanced Tube Hybrid Amp - 6N3P-E Tubes, Input (2x RCA & 2x 3-Pin XLR), Output (6.5mm TRS & 4-Pin XLR) [Modded: added 4 op-amp sockets; and using 3A Linear 12Vdc Supply]), and I think the combination sounds good (currently running 4x OPA1622 op-amps in the P20).

Feb 6, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #22,235 of 36,012
I bought a Topping D70 (2x AK4497EQ chips (32-Bit / 768-KHz, DSD512) USB, I2S, SPDIF, & TOSLINK Inputs; Single-Ended & Balanced Outputs) DAC, when they were on-sale for $475. I think the SRP is still $500.
The Single-Ended and Balanced outputs can be used simultaneously.
Until I finish assembling the Balanced Input cable for my iBasso PB2 (which uses a HiRose 6-Pin connector), the only Amp with Balanced Inputs I've got, is my Loxjie P20 (Fully Balanced Tube Hybrid Amp - 6N3P-E Tubes, Input (2x RCA & 2x 3-Pin XLR), Output (6.5mm TRS & 4-Pin XLR) [Modded: added 4 op-amp sockets; and using 3A Linear 12Vdc Supply]), and I think the combination sounds good (currently running 4x OPA1622 op-amps in the P20).

Thanks for the info! How do you find the sound on the D70? I enjoyed the Topping D30 I owned in the past and didn't find it too thin or bright so I was giving a hard look at the D70 and DX7S from Topping. I was also looking into the Sabaj D5 and the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 788 DAC/Amp. All of those could still be on the table if the DC-1 comes in and underwhelms.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:00 PM Post #22,236 of 36,012

The Sabaj D5 is killer and it's less than your budget. Should go really well with just about any amp. It measures really well too. Plus I like it better than my Cayin iDAC6 MKII which is an incredible DAC. Ok the warm side of things, it's full bodies and sounds fantastic. You know my tastes in sound signature. One other thing, the amp section isn't bad. I used it with my planars and it does a respectable job.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #22,238 of 36,012
Thanks for the info! How do you find the sound on the D70? I enjoyed the Topping D30 I owned in the past and didn't find it too thin or bright so I was giving a hard look at the D70 and DX7S from Topping. I was also looking into the Sabaj D5 and the Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 788 DAC/Amp. All of those could still be on the table if the DC-1 comes in and underwhelms.
I still have my D20 poking about somewhere. Good DAC choice if the intent is no coloration. IMO, the D20 (and from what I've read, its successors) does a good job of just giving you the music and not adding anything to the chain. I used to pair that with an SMSL amp and everything that came out of that combo just seemed clear, no coloration to be heard. I love my TEAC though because it's a great all-in-one solution that allows me to also have speakers connected. In the old stack, I had the DAC, a headphone amp, and a T-amp for the speakers. The TEAC has a slight warm tilt to it, but everything still sounds great and I intend for it to be my main unit for the foreseeable future.

Feb 7, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #22,242 of 36,012
The Emotiva DC-1 gets here tomorrow, already told the wife that I'm gonna need a couple hours all to myself. We'll see if the kids let that happen, lol.
Oh man I'm excited for you!!! Good luck with the fam leaving you alone. I just have the kids come in and dance for me when I get new stuff. Turns into a fun time for all of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back