The Audio Lounge
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #21,706 of 35,985
Hey Majo, glad to hear that you are still liking the DX160. As you know, I had one a few weeks earlier than you and I reckon that the burn-in thing is real but of course not everyone is going to agree with us.

I still think the DX160 is good but I continue to have some niggly issues with it and I still probably prefer the Hiby R3 for ease of use, form factor and the sound is just as good in its own way. I think that many of us just crave a different sound flavor from time to time.

Anyway, getting back to the DX160, I had big issues getting the USB DAC to work, then the Mango player stopped working for me. I then did a new FW update and installed the new USB driver but now the bluetooth will not work, but ironically the USB DAC is working. The included USB cable is fit for the bin for the function of a USB DAC cable. The jury is out for me and I don't really look forward to using it..............................:smile_phones: ........................

I know more than a few including yourself have had issues and it's a shame as i said it's a fantastic dap when running ok , fingers crossed mines been ok apart from everyone's gripe the bluetooth , getting about 8 hours playback and wifis ok as long as you dont go to far, personally I think after owning a hiby r3 that its far superior audio, better layering and depth and width of stage plus better micro detail...mines been as smooth as silk sorry to hear your one of the ones who have had issues, my advice is to anyone is to buy one from supplier who has return policy ...Shame Ibasso cant get there act together totally, let's hope most of it is rectified with updates.

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #21,707 of 35,985
I know more than a few including yourself have had issues and it's a shame as i said it's a fantastic dap when running ok , fingers crossed mines been ok apart from everyone's gripe the bluetooth , getting about 8 hours playback and wifis ok as long as you dont go to far, personally I think after owning a hiby r3 that its far superior audio, better layering and depth and width of stage plus better micro detail...mines been as smooth as silk sorry to hear your one of the ones who have had issues, my advice is to anyone is to buy one from supplier who has return policy ...Shame Ibasso cant get there act together totally, let's hope most of it is rectified with updates.
Hey Majo, I had amended my post a bit. We both got our R3's for £135 (on sale new) which was a cracking deal. I don't think that you gave it enough time or perhaps you were lacking synergy with the IEM's you had at the time. IMO, the R3 can still hold its head high................

The DX160 is probably the best value DAP on the market at the moment and I agree, if Ibasso get their act together they could paint the floor with the big names out there.......................

The DX160 surprisingly drives the Fostex T50RP Mk3 series very well. Do you hear that @jerick70 ............................................................................??? :ksc75smile:

Dec 14, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #21,708 of 35,985
Hey Majo, I had amended my post a bit. We both got our R3's for £135 (on sale new) which was a cracking deal. I don't think that you gave it enough time or perhaps you were lacking synergy with the IEM's you had at the time. IMO, the R3 can still hold its head high................

The DX160 is probably the best value DAP on the market at the moment and I agree, if Ibasso get their act together they could paint the floor with the big names out there.......................

The DX160 surprisingly drives the Fostex T50RP Mk3 series very well. Do you hear that @jerick70 ............................................................................??? :ksc75smile:

It does have some juice..... the audio is brilliant, ultra low noise floor , great depth and width to the stage, I find a lot of others daps have the width but not the depth which gives the ibasso a more 3d like quality, great separation of notes ...in my opinion its probably the best pound for pound audio that I have heard at the moment....but that is only my opinion.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #21,709 of 35,985
Hi All.

I just finished converting my Fiio LC-3.5D into an LC-2.5D, LC-3.5D, LC-3.5D (balanced) and LC-4.4D it seems to work OK. I'm happy with the results.

Not really recommended though the wires are very difficult to solder because they have reinforcing material integrated in every core and I couldn't find an easy way to separate the conductors.

20191214_120012.jpg

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #21,710 of 35,985
in my opinion its probably the best pound for pound audio that I have heard at the moment....but that is only my opinion.

That's my honest opinion too, for what it's worth, so you're not alone :p

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #21,711 of 35,985
I also want to give a shout-out of a similar nature to the Stealth Sonics U4 (with thanks to @Jackpot77 again) :)
https://www.stealthsonics.com/u4-series.php
They're a 4-BA (each side) IEM at USD $499.

They've now started making their cable (the one that ships with their TOTL U9 IEM) available in 2.5mm and 4.4mm; previously it shipped with 3.5mm as standard.
$60 https://www.stealthsonics.com/stealth-pro-cable.php
I ordered one from their website and through a convoluted series of events, have ended up getting two :p

So now I'm listening to the U4 ($499) on the 4.4mm balanced output of my DX160.
It's a nice reminder of how competitive good mid-range gear can be compared with the TOTL.

The DX160's qualities have already been discussed.
Of all the IEMs I've tried, the U4 is probably most similar to the Empire Ears Phantom in sound signature.
They're not quite as 'audiophile' as the $1800 Phantom (though we're talking small margins here), but they have that quite thick and rich sound, with warmth and really great timbre.
Vocals and instruments really sound vivid and lifelike.

It's a tough IEM to describe, and - like Phantom - it can take 10mins or so to adjust to its sound signature, especially if coming from a kind of neutral/reference style IEM.
But once you do, it's just so damn ENJOYABLE and musical :D
And it's surprisingly accomplished in its technical abilities too. A good, expansive soundstage, great separation, layering and imaging, and a marvellous ability to present a high level of detail, but in an effortlessly natural way that doesn't draw attention away from enjoying the song as a whole, but rather enhances that experience.
Was listening to my "Relaxing - Warm" playlist last night for about 2 hours; mostly acoustic, laid back, comfort music.
It was just pure bliss, so I want to give credit where it's due and re-introduce this lovely IEM.

Bear in mind that my recent IEM listening has been Empire Ears Legend X, Nemesis and Phantom, plus Stealth Sonics' own flagship, the U9 - a pretty lofty line-up!
So it's a testament to how enjoyable the U4 is that I've been sidelining them to listen to it much of the time these days :)

Oh, and just to add, I had some issues with the fit when I first tried them; the relatively shallow insertion of the nozzles didn't work for me with my favoured Symbio tips.
But now I've switched to New Bee memory foam tips and the fit is perfect every time, so that problem has gone away :)

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #21,712 of 35,985

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #21,713 of 35,985

LALALALA.... I'm not listening..... Think of the children! :D

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #21,714 of 35,985
Relative things are relative. :wink:
I was hoping that "a good price" meant something like $400 - $600, rather than $1,600. :)

Sorry...

Thing is, since it is a direct competitor to the Empyrean which is about 3000 USD, I thought that they have a good price.

In the 500 USD price range, they have Sundara, and if you leave an eye out for sales and such, there are 400i around for much less, all of them being serious headphones I would and am using on a daily basis.

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #21,715 of 35,985
Was anyone looking for an AMP the size of a matchbox? :smile_phones:

I finished writing my in-depth review of the Periodic Audio Nickel. While surely it is an amplifier that's specific in its purpose, it does its job really well, and despite the price point, it does have a place in today's market, as it filled a spot that was left empty by other manufacturers. I invite you to read more about it in the full in-depth review, which I'm copying to Head-Fi as wel speak!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/12/uber-nano-mini-periodic-audio-nickel.html

Periodic-Audio-Ni-Nickel-AMP-Portable-Amplifier-Headphone-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-21.jpg

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #21,716 of 35,985
Was anyone looking for an AMP the size of a matchbox? :smile_phones:

I finished writing my in-depth review of the Periodic Audio Nickel. While surely it is an amplifier that's specific in its purpose, it does its job really well, and despite the price point, it does have a place in today's market, as it filled a spot that was left empty by other manufacturers. I invite you to read more about it in the full in-depth review, which I'm copying to Head-Fi as wel speak!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/12/uber-nano-mini-periodic-audio-nickel.html

Periodic-Audio-Ni-Nickel-AMP-Portable-Amplifier-Headphone-Audiophile-Heaven-Review-21.jpg

Love that little thing. Admittedly, don't have much to use it with now...neat little bugger though.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #21,717 of 35,985
I finished writing my in-depth review of the iBasso IT01S. The review also includes reviews of the Balanced 4.4mm CB12S Cable, CA04 2.5 to 4.4mm adapter and DC01 Type-C 384khz/32bit / DSD256 DAC/AMP. With IT01S priced at 200 USD, and everything else below it, this is a review that's going to be both about good products, but also about pocket-friendly stuff! :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/12/upgrading-classic-ibasso-it01s-iems-review.html

iBasso-IT-01S-IT01S-IEMs-Earphones-In-Ears-Graphene-Drivers-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-47.jpg

Dec 15, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #21,718 of 35,985
I haven't contributed much lately. Sorry, just too many distractions with work and stuff. Had a small window to sit today and enjoy some good Bissell Brothers beer from Maine and listen to the OH500 and X5iii. Been on a Stones jag lately and just digging some great sounds.

No Christmas songs here except Johnny Mathis:

Cheers to all.

Dec 15, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #21,719 of 35,985
One more for good measure. Love her voice...

Dec 17, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #21,720 of 35,985

Users who are viewing this thread

Back