The Audio Lounge
Oct 2, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #20,777 of 36,014
Both, when I tried it just didn't seem to want to snap into position and didn't want to force the issue and potentially damage the mmcx, the er4 mmcx have a little notch locator which stops them turning unsure if this would have a part to play in not connecting easily though, the Male cable side has the lip and the female iem side the notch...I would imagine that maybe I'd the cable is not very very light it would possibly pull a bit more too being stuck straight out and the etys really do require a good seal.
The notch is really likely just a notch to stop the turning, but the other thing....I remember a really long time ago that I ran across some people saying/documenting they had a helluva time trying to deal with MMCX because while they didn't see anything necessarily different about listings or specs, they said that generic MMCX and something like Shure MMCX were different due to slight variance in that connector length before the connector snaps in. And to that end, they said that if it was the wrong one, it would be too short to go in and snap-connect properly. I've obviously never validated any of these types of claims, but I definitely remember coming across them and thinking that sounded like an odd thing.

Oct 2, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #20,778 of 36,014
talk of precarious connectors, noble and encores in my case. its a 2 pin and i thought id break em connecting my DHC cable. never a/b because of that. left it in 2 years so good. sure 846 fit like a bug in a rug for my DHC copper cable.

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #20,779 of 36,014
The notch is really likely just a notch to stop the turning, but the other thing....I remember a really long time ago that I ran across some people saying/documenting they had a helluva time trying to deal with MMCX because while they didn't see anything necessarily different about listings or specs, they said that generic MMCX and something like Shure MMCX were different due to slight variance in that connector length before the connector snaps in. And to that end, they said that if it was the wrong one, it would be too short to go in and snap-connect properly. I've obviously never validated any of these types of claims, but I definitely remember coming across them and thinking that sounded like an odd thing.

This sounds about right to me and similar experience with trying to connect standard mmcx, I have heard a few odd posts of achieving it but nothing concrete.

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #20,780 of 36,014
This sounds about right to me and similar experience with trying to connect standard mmcx, I have heard a few odd posts of achieving it but nothing concrete.
I did a quick search, sounds like @ClieOS here on Head-Fi is supposed to have a good idea about what's up with these connectors. Also, I though you were successful with this like a year ago in the ER4 thread?

Oct 2, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #20,781 of 36,014
Clieo
I did a quick search, sounds like @ClieOS here on Head-Fi is supposed to have a good idea about what's up with these connectors. Also, I though you were successful with this like a year ago in the ER4 thread?

Clieos is the one who probably knows more , I built 2 cables for the etys last year and posted here and on the ety thread, both mmcx worked great and both were angled and specific for etys from lunashops...if I were wanting to use cables i already owned I would just replace the mmcx , just need a little solder experience quite easy to do.

Oct 2, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #20,782 of 36,014
WOW:

Just a quick one before I switch everything off.
There's not much electronic/dance music that I like, but this album is terrific and darkly atmospheric :)
It's the whole album in 320k mp3, but if I've done this right, it should start straight at the appropriate song (A Question Of Lust):

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #20,783 of 36,014
D Mode!!!!!

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #20,785 of 36,014
The hell?? Just popped in the NX7 and it gave me that feeling! Really love the Nicehck cable they had on sale too, nice heft, super flexible, great solid connector... Ok. Guess the R2's are going up for sale eventually.

You might want to hold off selling these right now. Bob has a sale going on for the R2’s. I believe they are going for 250 GBP. Would hate for you to lose too much on these.

Oct 2, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #20,786 of 36,014
You might want to hold off selling these right now. Bob has a sale going on for the R2’s. I believe they are going for 250 GBP. Would hate for you to lose too much on these.

Thanks for the head's up. Wrote to Bob too just in case... But to be honest, I was gonna sell at a loss anyway

Oct 3, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #20,788 of 36,014
Oct 3, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #20,790 of 36,014
I still don't like the pricing/sales structure he uses, all the way back from the days of TAE. Why have this ridiculous MSRP that can pretty much only serve to piss people off because there'll be a "sale" price on it like 2 weeks to a month later? Make it $350-400 right off the bat and don't run any discounts or sales for at least 3 months or even better, 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back