The Audio Lounge
Sep 18, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #20,567 of 35,962
My review on the Wells Milo Amplifier is live now :)

This one is a kicker, combines the advantages from both solid state and tube AMPs!

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2019/09/music-at-its-finest-wells-milo.html

Wells-Audio-Milo-Headphone-Amplifier-Khozmo-Flagship-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-19.jpg

Wells-Audio-Milo-Headphone-Amplifier-Khozmo-Flagship-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-22.jpg

Wells-Audio-Milo-Headphone-Amplifier-Khozmo-Flagship-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-24.jpg

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #20,568 of 35,962
Sep 18, 2019 at 5:37 PM Post #20,570 of 35,962
WOW: Guilt

Sep 19, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #20,572 of 35,962

This one is a kicker, combines the advantages from both solid state and tube AMPs!

Wells-Audio-Milo-Headphone-Amplifier-Khozmo-Flagship-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-19.jpg

Wells-Audio-Milo-Headphone-Amplifier-Khozmo-Flagship-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-22.jpg

Wells-Audio-Milo-Headphone-Amplifier-Khozmo-Flagship-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-24.jpg
Hey George is that Amp only $2750 - $5000?! I was having difficulties with the looks but that price is something else!

A very unique design but I can't imagine many wives giving it the thumbs up, perhaps more like a boot up the *** and that is before they even hear the price!

Sort of reminds me of the "Angel of the North" (in the north of England)

images
images

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #20,573 of 35,962
Speaking of the sour price of the Milo..................................

How about a recent track from the guitarist "Milos" called "Sour Times" (how apt) :ksc75smile:

P.S. I got dragged along to see the pretty Milos by Her Lightness a few years back and it turned out that he only played for about 30 minutes (only in the second half of the concert). He certainly did not wear out his pretty nails on that occasion. However he was accompanied by a full orchestra which partly made up for it.

Sep 19, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #20,574 of 35,962
Morning all, another question I'm afraid, this time on High and Low Gain

I use a Schiit Vali 2 amp at work and always leave in low gain mode as I never need to turn the volume nob over 50% (I don't want to listen to music that loudly) regardless of what I'm driving, for info this is mostly IMR R1 or HD6XX from Massdrop.

I don't have a huge collection of stuff and am wondering, beyond making evereything louder (and therefore needing to use even less of the volume dial on the front) is there anything that would particularly need the high gain mode? Is there any advantage to using the high gain mode with the volume turned down?

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #20,575 of 35,962
Which do you prefer?

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #20,576 of 35,962
Morning all, another question I'm afraid, this time on High and Low Gain

I use a Schiit Vali 2 amp at work and always leave in low gain mode as I never need to turn the volume nob over 50% (I don't want to listen to music that loudly) regardless of what I'm driving, for info this is mostly IMR R1 or HD6XX from Massdrop.

I don't have a huge collection of stuff and am wondering, beyond making evereything louder (and therefore needing to use even less of the volume dial on the front) is there anything that would particularly need the high gain mode? Is there any advantage to using the high gain mode with the volume turned down?

Presume the Vali 2 has an analogue volume pot, but there IS a difference when choosing between low and high gain on devices that control volume digitally. Have a look at some of the iFi threads about the IEMatch and bit decimation - the basic gist is that for devices that are reducing the max volume output digitally, it is better to rub in low gain with a higher volume seeings rather than high gain on a low volume setting. This minimises bit decimation in the output, which can reduce the overall SQ.

That apart, if it's an analogue pot, just choose whatever sounds best to your ears! :wink:

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #20,577 of 35,962
Speaking of the sour price of the Milo..................................

How about a recent track from the guitarist "Milos" called "Sour Times" (how apt) :ksc75smile:

P.S. I got dragged along to see the pretty Milos by Her Lightness a few years back and it turned out that he only played for about 30 minutes (only in the second half of the concert). He certainly did not wear out his pretty nails on that occasion. However he was accompanied by a full orchestra which partly made up for it.

Amusing post; "Her Lightness" in particular made me smile :)

Well, you may all know this anyway, but that track is a cover of this one:
I like it (and the album from which it came), as it's just so *different* to anything before or after.
Enjoy both! :)

And, almost as the antithesis of that track, here is a StockAitken&Waterman-tastic 80's classic by Bananarama :D
I'm sad to say that the last two WOW's have had me completely stumped (although I'm impressed by how many contributions you all made!).
This song has the word 'guilty' repeatedly in the chorus, so it'll do :p

Sep 19, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #20,578 of 35,962
Presume the Vali 2 has an analogue volume pot, but there IS a difference when choosing between low and high gain on devices that control volume digitally. Have a look at some of the iFi threads about the IEMatch and bit decimation - the basic gist is that for devices that are reducing the max volume output digitally, it is better to rub in low gain with a higher volume seeings rather than high gain on a low volume setting. This minimises bit decimation in the output, which can reduce the overall SQ.

That apart, if it's an analogue pot, just choose whatever sounds best to your ears! :wink:
Thanks for that, I had a feeling it wouldn't matter (as far as I know it is analogue yes).

Doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference to me, so I guess I'll leave it in low in case someone fiddles with the dial whilst I'm away from the desk and I don't notice until after I hit play!

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #20,579 of 35,962
Hey George is that Amp only $2750 - $5000?! I was having difficulties with the looks but that price is something else!

A very unique design but I can't imagine many wives giving it the thumbs up, perhaps more like a boot up the *** and that is before they even hear the price!

images
images
Well make some more money and then she won't have a reason to complain about the price! Start growing those money trees! Lol, I'm so broke :joy:

Sep 19, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #20,580 of 35,962

images
images

Ah mere pocket change... Look at the Woo WA33 @ $15k and the Apex Pinnacle2 @ $18k. This is a steal at this price. :joy::joy::joy::joy:

By the way the Apex Pinnacle2 is amazeballs as a preamp and headphone amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back