1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Audio Lounge

1. Midgetguy
    Lol, just saw that the Echobox Finder X1 is on Drop (still an idiot decision to rebrand since they now end up having to put "formerly Massdrop" everywhere) and it's also $25, but you won't get it for another month. Meanwhile, I ordered mine on Amazon yesterday and it's supposedly sitting in front of my door for when I get home later.

@Jackpot77, did you you say you're seeing signs Echobox Audio's going outta business soon? What's up? I though they've been making some pretty nice audiophile products the past couple years.

DBaldock9 likes this.
  2. DBaldock9
    Managed to cut my Loxjie P20 Tube Hybrid Amp in half today (using a hacksaw).
    This is to make it easier to do op-amp rolling (since I've installed sockets for the 4 op-amps).

Currently, there's a matched pair of 6N3P-E tubes, and 4x LME49720HA (TO-99 round metal case) op-amps installed.
    IMG_20190914_183353.jpg
    IMG_20190914_183903.jpg

3. Midgetguy
    Battle of the $20ish IEMs: TAE Hyperion vs. Echobox Finder X1 first impressions.
    I consider this a pretty fair comparison for sound because I like the sort of fun warmish sound signature of the X1's stock filters, which plays in a similar range to the Hyperion. Honestly, no knock on the Finder X1, but this comparison really does illustrate just how highly I think of the Hyperion and how absolutely correct Bob was when he said that the Hyperion was the most important and impressive piece of kit in the TAE lineup.

Packaging/Accessories:
    Draw: I don't think neither one has a leg up on the other one for packaging and accessories. Lots of tips for both manufacturers' offerings, both have a nice box, and both come with a nice carrying case.

Materials/Build/Ergonomics:
    Draw: There's a very interesting comparison to be made on this front. The Finder X1 was originally a $200 IEM at launch, while the Hyperion is a pedestrian $20. The initial material grade list clearly shows the disparity. The Finder X1 has titanium shells and rocks a silver-plated cable and the Hyperion sports aluminum shells and what I assume to be a regular copper cable since there's no advertisement to contradict that. You'd have to be mad to think that results in a draw....and that's where you'd be wrong. While technically inferior in material grade, the build does so much to make up for it. The TAE cable is braided, just like the X1's cable (you can see it through the sheath), but while the Hyperion uses a nice sheathing which combined with the braid results in a very low memory character, the X1 has a braid, then an outer sheathing and this is where it takes a massive blunder in my opinion. It falls into the trap that lower manufacturers make, which results in a cable that has a high memory character. While the strain relieve is adequate at the jack on the X1, there is no relief whatsoever at the shells, which the Hyperions have a little bit of, though one could argue how much use those are. The jack feels much better relieved on the Hyperions because of the spring relief used for resistive flexibility rather than the more common and stiffer rubber relief on the X1 jack. As a summation of how both IEMs exceed each other's characteristics in differing categories, I'd consider this to be a draw......though I'm kinda leaning toward the Hyperion for its cable ergonomics alone :p. And the lack of easy L/R differentiation is incredibly annoying with the Finder X1.

Comfort:
    Hyperion: Both of these IEMs are pretty small and thus are very comfortable and easy to fit in just about any ear. For those that might sleep with IEMs on, I'd give a slight edge to the Hyperions as the shell diameter is smaller and the the cable entry point on the shell is more likely to not cause discomfort than the configuration of the Finder X1 if one ended up on the side of their head on the pillow. As such, the Hyperions eek out the win in this category.

Sound:
    Finder X1: No contest here (and let's be honest, no surprise), the Finder X1 beats out the Hyperion for sound quality all around. Name a frequency and the X1 performs better. clearer with less distortion on mids and highs, more resolving with less distortion on the lows, better space, more air. The Finder X1 with the default warm filter plays a sound signature in a somewhat similar ballpark as the Hyperion, but with better fidelity in every area you'd like to name. That said, even though there is a clear difference in the sound quality, would I have guessed at launch, the X1 was 10x the price? Probably not. If I were told the X1 cost $200, I would guess the Hyperion was probably $50-60. If I were told the Hyperion cost $20, I would guess the X1 was like $100-120.

Value:
    Uhhhh......???: Honestly, I don't know, even if I'm to judge them both on the price range of $20ish. They're both stellar choices at that price. For most people, I'd say the Finder X1 is probably the better value; it sounds better and because of the filter system, you've got 3 chances to end up with the sound signature you like most. The Hyperion is locked to the warm and sometimes darkish signature, but if I said I valued audio fidelity over easily better ergonomics every single time, then I would absolutely be lying. If you get either of these IEMs for this price and the sound signature suits your tastes, then you've won, plain and simple.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  4. majo123
    Morning all been a while and just popping in with new bling
    IMG_20190915_083608.jpg
    IMG_20190915_080229.jpg IMG_20190915_080408.jpg

Picked these up off @KEV G yesterday and I have to say I'm pretty pleased, definite keeper and these and er4xr are all I'm ever going to need, as I said I'm taking a step back a bit.. one more item on the list then I'm done for quite some time.
    IMG_20190915_080446.jpg
    Really nice pairing with the m11
    IMG_20190915_083632.jpg
    And sounded Great on the zishan too or should I say my "tamagochi"....it's my nick name for it as it reminds me of the 90s gadget as in build lol ... sounds fantastic though ask @KEV G as we had a little session yesterday and made him grin as also did the m11 , listened too the 1z, Solaris too very very nice....all excellent gear on the table .

Anyway just popping in and saying hi and hope your all well ..I have been looking into my crystal ball and I reckon it's going to be an andro day today :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. Whazzzup

groucho69 likes this.
  6. Richsvt
    Getting back to some Sunday morning Coffee and Vinyl:

7. Whazzzup

8. jerick70
    Looking good mate.

majo123 and DBaldock9 like this.
  9. majo123
    Thanks dude, hope all's good.

10. Martin Howell
    Hmm, this sounds good and just checked Amazon UK, a bit more than $20 (£25.99) but still very tempting.

One question, does anyone know what the difference between Android Mic and iOS Mic is? I have an iPhone so that's a no brainer, but one without a 3.5mm port so is there a lot of difference.

DBaldock9 likes this.
  11. Whazzzup

zachmal likes this.
  12. Midgetguy
    It's why I went with the $20ish nomenclature haha. Hyperion was $20, Finder X1 was $25.
    Wish I could answer the mic question for you, there's no info on the Amazon listing and I bought the without a mic. Speculation for me would start with the iOS cable being a lightning connector because if the X1 launched around 2017, the latest iPhones at the time just ditched the headphone jack. The other thing I know is that even if they were both 3.5mm connectors, it used to be that they differentiated between Android and iOS cable because the button function was different and so even though one would think the layout to be the same, the software was recognized differently so each needed its own remote to give the exact intended advertised function. Worst case for you would be to get the iOS mic version and if it's a 3.5mm connector, then you'll have to use a lightning to 3.5mm adapter on your phone first.

Martin Howell and DBaldock9 like this.
  13. DBaldock9

The actual Microphone and Push to Answer Button in the cables is basically the same.
    There is an open spec for what the other control buttons do on an Android cable, and is described here - https://source.android.com/devices/accessories/headset/plug-headset-spec
    I believe that Apple uses a proprietary chip to interface the control buttons on iOS cables.

Martin Howell likes this.
  14. groucho69
    RIP Rick

15. Richsvt
    Eddie Money on Friday and Ric Ocasek yesterday, not a good weekend for rock legends...they will be missed

barondla, groucho69 and HungryPanda like this.