The Audio Lounge
Aug 25, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #20,221 of 36,012
On Saturday, I modified my Little Bear B4-X Hybrid Tube Amp - Unsoldered the tube carriers, installed sockets, soldered a matched pair of JAN5899 tubes on plug-in tube carriers, and replaced the op-amp sockets.
The B4-X powers ON, and the tubes light up, but no audio is being amplified.
Does anyone know the procedure for adjusting the 4 little silver potentiometers, to setup the tubes for optimum performance? Thanks!
IMG_20190824_162107.jpg
IMG_20190824_162247.jpg

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #20,222 of 36,012
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #20,223 of 36,012
On Saturday, I modified my Little Bear B4-X Hybrid Tube Amp - Unsoldered the tube carriers, installed sockets, soldered a matched pair of JAN5899 tubes on plug-in tube carriers, and replaced the op-amp sockets.
The B4-X powers ON, and the tubes light up, but no audio is being amplified.
Does anyone know the procedure for adjusting the 4 little silver potentiometers, to setup the tubes for optimum performance? Thanks!

DoukAudio sent this to me when I first purchased my LittleBear B4-X. You adjust each of the pots per side.

B4-X.jpg

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #20,224 of 36,012
Well it looks like someone is doing the same thing with the SendyAudio Aiya as they did with the KLH UltimateOne. Did you see the BLON B20 on Drop today. This has to be the Sendy Aiya with a different headband....

https://drop.com/buy/blon-b20-planar-magnetic-headphones?utm_placement=2&referer=WGSVFD&mode=guest_open&utm_campaign=Automated Daily Promotional 2019-08-26&utm_source=SparkPost&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Daily Promotional&utm_content=1566799619318.599559878692875128710392

It is exactly that, I watched a vid recently. A Sendy Aiva without the amazing cable and the case. But it can be had for $360 and I'm seriously considering it.

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #20,225 of 36,012
It is exactly that, I watched a vid recently. A Sendy Aiva without the amazing cable and the case. But it can be had for $360 and I'm seriously considering it.
It would be worth it. I love love love my Sendys. If you read the description they use the Sendy internals.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #20,226 of 36,012
Was talking to @KEV G about optics in the last couple days. Got me thinking about the activities I used to indulge in way back and how I lost some appreciation for past hobbies. Decided to get a decent pair of binos out tonight to do some deep sky scanning (been nice weather, cool and dry and clear nights). Finished a bunch of yard work and enjoying some tunes and a beer to celebrate. Here's to old hobbies forgotten but never lost.

Shanling M2X and Meze Noir

Resolux 10x50 HD
Not been on for a while as my old hobby is picking up speed lol
My Honda Fireblade will be in the workshop in two weeks for the rebuild to start, so hopefully we can get the engine running and check the frame. If both are ok then it’s game on.
Bought an old Suzuki SV650 to potter about on and get my bike legs back, it’s been 18 years since I’ve ridden so thought I’d better get something not too powerful to help me ease back into the saddle.
0E0903AE-1F55-4280-B01F-F2E4FF9FBDFC.jpeg
So far I’ve had spin around some of the country roads in Wales, then down to Kent, the garden of England and now I’m buzzing round London on it. It’s kind of taking over my Audio interests at the moment and this will probably continue until the Blade is finished which will take some time as we are probably going to go all out custom. Something along the lines of this maybe-
2B0F9A4F-BCD2-4290-8590-5D039305845D.jpeg
I’ve made one last Audio purchase to keep me going and will post some pics when I have it :L3000::L3000::L3000:
Here’s to old hobbies a new friendships :beerchug:

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #20,227 of 36,012
Not been on for a while as my old hobby is picking up speed lol
My Honda Fireblade will be in the workshop in two weeks for the rebuild to start, so hopefully we can get the engine running and check the frame. If both are ok then it’s game on.
Bought an old Suzuki SV650 to potter about on and get my bike legs back, it’s been 18 years since I’ve ridden so thought I’d better get something not too powerful to help me ease back into the saddle.
So far I’ve had spin around some of the country roads in Wales, then down to Kent, the garden of England and now I’m buzzing round London on it. It’s kind of taking over my Audio interests at the moment and this will probably continue until the Blade is finished which will take some time as we are probably going to go all out custom. Something along the lines of this maybe-
I’ve made one last Audio purchase to keep me going and will post some pics when I have it :L3000::L3000::L3000:
Here’s to old hobbies a new friendships :beerchug:
Nice looking bike!

Aug 26, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #20,228 of 36,012
Nice looking bike!
Which one lol.....I know which one I’d rather be on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The old Suzuki is no slouch, 650 V twin. Still a nice bike despite its age (and colour) weird going from driving a van having drivers wanting to overtake me and now it’s me that wants to overtake.
Taking it easy though, not riding like a hooligan and just happy to be back on two wheels. I’ll leave the speeding to young fellas, they bounce better than me :stuck_out_tongue:
It was really nice riding around Kent on the weekend with an old mate that couldn’t ride when I last saw him 5 years ago. Recently hooked up and now he’s riding a Triumph 1200 Tiger (with the obligatory British oil leak) so that was cool. Especially as he was helping me to get back into it so I was following him. Here’s the two bikes-
B5344811-D9A6-4D4F-A9D4-BCE5FAA01614.jpeg

33D9F867-EB8D-4714-8050-9093F45AE48B.jpeg
Happy Days :motorcycle:

Aug 26, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #20,229 of 36,012
Which one lol.....I know which one I’d rather be on :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
The old Suzuki is no slouch, 650 V twin. Still a nice bike despite its age (and colour) weird going from driving a van having drivers wanting to overtake me and now it’s me that wants to overtake.
Taking it easy though, not riding like a hooligan and just happy to be back on two wheels. I’ll leave the speeding to young fellas, they bounce better than me :stuck_out_tongue:
It was really nice riding around Kent on the weekend with an old mate that couldn’t ride when I last saw him 5 years ago. Recently hooked up and now he’s riding a Triumph 1200 Tiger (with the obligatory British oil leak) so that was cool. Especially as he was helping me to get back into it so I was following him. Here’s the two bikes-

Happy Days :motorcycle:
Both bikes are nice. Of course the Honda is killer looking of the two......

Aug 26, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #20,230 of 36,012
Hey Kev @KEV G , try not to do anything too daft out there as there is no glory lying in a hospital bed for weeks on end...........................................................

giphy.gif

Aug 26, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #20,231 of 36,012
Hey Kev @KEV G , try not to do anything too daft out there as there is no glory lying in a hospital bed for weeks on end...........................................................

giphy.gif
Haha who me :stuck_out_tongue:
Those days are long gone lol
Ride sensibly, track days for going bonkers and I’ve already bounced down the road a few times back in the day as they say.
I’ve no intentions of letting that happen again !!!
Especially with my last Audio purchase for a while coming in a couple of weeks, :wink:
Also, I’m self employed so if I don’t go to work, I don’t get paid and even if I get knocked off and it’s not my fault, I have zero faith in the insurance company taking care of me. They never have before, in fact I'm still waiting for a loss of earnings claim that’s 18 months old now. They paid out for the damage to my vehicle but I’m still waiting for the loss of earnings they owe me, as far as I’m concerned insurance companies are the scum of the earth.....lower than a snakes arse, so they are.
Which reminds me, think I’ll call the solicitors tomorrow and send a rocket up their arses to get a move on and give me my money :imp:
I could get the Campfire Polaris with it :ksc75smile:

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #20,232 of 36,012
Haha who me :stuck_out_tongue:
Those days are long gone lol
Ride sensibly, track days for going bonkers and I’ve already bounced down the road a few times back in the day as they say.
I’ve no intentions of letting that happen again !!!
Especially with my last Audio purchase for a while coming in a couple of weeks, :wink:
Also, I’m self employed so if I don’t go to work, I don’t get paid and even if I get knocked off and it’s not my fault, I have zero faith in the insurance company taking care of me. They never have before, in fact I'm still waiting for a loss of earnings claim that’s 18 months old now. They paid out for the damage to my vehicle but I’m still waiting for the loss of earnings they owe me, as far as I’m concerned insurance companies are the scum of the earth.....lower than a snakes arse, so they are.
Which reminds me, think I’ll call the solicitors tomorrow and send a rocket up their arses to get a move on and give me my money :imp:
I could get the Campfire Polaris with it :ksc75smile:
LOL.... I know the feeling. I used to be a daredevil when I was young. Not anymore. You get more perspective on life when you get old and things stop working and start falling off.... LOL :ksc75smile:

Aug 26, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #20,233 of 36,012
LOL.... I know the feeling. I used to be a daredevil when I was young. Not anymore. You get more perspective on life when you get old and things stop working and start falling off.... LOL :ksc75smile:
Haha too right fella, gotta keep what’s left.
I’m an owner of a high mileage body, limited parts available and little to no chance of restoration unlike my Blade :grimacing:

Aug 26, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #20,234 of 36,012
DoukAudio sent this to me when I first purchased my LittleBear B4-X. You adjust each of the pots per side.

I'd really like to know which direction to turn the pots, and which one does what, as far as adjusting the sound quality.

Aug 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #20,235 of 36,012
I'd really like to know which direction to turn the pots, and which one does what, as far as adjusting the sound quality.
Most likely each pot adjusts either the screen grid voltage or the plate voltage. I would need a schematic to know for sure. I would contact DoukAudio and ask them. I'm guessing they will help.

The reason you aren't getting sound is most likely they have modified the circuit to be triode not pentode and used pentode tubes. I think this is because pentodes are available in sub-minature in abundance and they tend to last longer than triodes. It looks like you have all of the conductors connected and I believe Douk had one of the conductors cut. This is pure speculation though and can only be confirmed by looking at a schematic.

The use of pentodes may be due to the dual mono topology of the circuit too. I'm not an expert on this type of topology so I may be way off in my last statement.... :smile_phones:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back