The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Jun 5, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #7,681 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by garfnon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my Compass today. I'm assuming the OPA shouldn't be bouncing all over the place inside the casing with pings bent
frown.gif
. Sigh, not good.

That's not good. Are any of the pins broken? If so, email Kingwa at Audio-gd to have a new one sent to you. If the pins are bent, you can use a mechanical pencil to straighten the pins. I used one to straighten the bent pins on my Earth HDAM of the bagged Compass I received and it worked well.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #7,682 of 7,725
Yea, the pins were bent. I straightened them out and popped it back in. Just hooked it up and thankfully it sounds fine. Good thing nothing was knocked loose or broke from that. Only casualty is that the OPA was ripped loose from the ground wire. Not sure if I'll notice a difference or not from that.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #7,683 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've borrowed ESW10JPNs again, and due to my different listening habits over the last few months, I rather like them. They are stupidly easy to drive, even sounding good straight out of an iPod, so they will work well with a Compass.

They are all large companies with a huge budget. It's quite a big deal for a tiny company to offer this, IMO.

Did you know there was a gain switch on the back? I should really take the shovel to you guys, since I discussed with grawk about my writing FAQs, yet it didn't appear anyone who was in the discussion read the contents of them.
tongue.gif

Some history: All the Audio-gd headamps had cheap, Chinese locking jacks on them, which were easy to release headphones from, but also poor as the sound would drop out often from a bad connection. Since locking jacks are supposed to help maintain a good connection, this was rather stupid. I basically said to Kingwa, never let any headphone amp out of your company ever again with those cheap jacks, as no matter how good the design, it will all be for nothing if people complain about the signal dropping out from those cheap jacks. He replaced them with the genuine Neutriks instead. I agree they are probably unnecessary.

I have no problem with the Neutrik jack on my Compass, in fact I think it's cool looking and I don't care that I have to press the thing to release the connector ... big F'n whoop, ya know ????

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #7,684 of 7,725
Quote:

Yea, the pins were bent. I straightened them out and popped it back in. Just hooked it up and thankfully it sounds fine. Good thing nothing was knocked loose or broke from that. Only casualty is that the OPA was ripped loose from the ground wire. Not sure if I'll notice a difference or not from that.

That's good...I'm glad it's working for you. I am using the Sun v2 HDAM and don't have the ground wire connected. I think it sounds better without it.
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #7,685 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorpitarius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no problem with the Neutrik jack on my Compass, in fact I think it's cool looking and I don't care that I have to press the thing to release the connector ... big F'n whoop, ya know ????

This is the way I feel as well. I always leave my headphones either not plugged in or out of the way when I'm plugged into the Compass so tripping over cords and sending it flying isn't a serious concern right now!
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #7,686 of 7,725
Quote:

Just got my Compass today. I'm assuming the OPA shouldn't be bouncing all over the place inside the casing with pings bent
frown.gif
. Sigh, not good.

Quote:

Well, that's a first. Strange things happen during transport indeed. I would never thought it could come loose during shipping since it's basically wedged tightly in the case. Was the foam (foamtape) that's supposed to hold it in its socket still in place?

Glad it still works though. The ground wire probably doesn't make a world of difference. Still, if you happen to have a soldering iron lying around you could try reattaching it.

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #7,687 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's good...I'm glad it's working for you. I am using the Sun v2 HDAM and don't have the ground wire connected. I think it sounds better without it.
beerchug.gif

Is it not dangerous for the HDAM to not have the ground attached? I would have worried about it frying the little guy!

Jun 5, 2009 at 6:48 AM Post #7,688 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it not dangerous for the HDAM to not have the ground attached? I would have worried about it frying the little guy!

Here is what Audio GD website says :

Quote:

Even if the earth wire is not connected or used, the output sound will have slight difference. The user can choose to decide on his own, but we recommend to connect the earth wire to ground. Please do not connect OPAs earth wire to AC power socket ground.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #7,689 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what Audio GD website says :

Hmm, very interesting! I just assumed that the ground would work like other grounds: to protect from surge damage, etc. so unplugging it just sounded like trouble. Now I may have to give it a shot, thanks!

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #7,690 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaimaKesar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This one is also mostly great.ya rally
signature001.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope to get the DAC100 for audition by next week, and to compare it with the Franken mod. however, zero with franken mod is still much cheaper than the DAC100.

I think they no longer sell the dac100 already

dac200 is their entry model
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:12 PM Post #7,691 of 7,725
Why did 3 accounts all say the same thing?

"This one is also mostly great.ya rally?

Someone setting up multiple accounts for HF-2s?

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #7,692 of 7,725
They are all spammers. They have an image link in their signature that doesn't show. I've reported them.

Jun 5, 2009 at 12:24 PM Post #7,693 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone setting up multiple accounts for HF-2s?

Nice conspiracy-theory!
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #7,694 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a clue about the type and capacity of these 4 brown caps?
Not looking to start a DIY discussion in this thread.

My guess: Metallized Polypropylene 700pF? (but seems like an odd number)
I could be way off. Any ideas?
caps.jpg

For the record I found out that these caps are silver mica 7pF. No need to change these if you want to cap mod the compass.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #7,695 of 7,725
Oh my. I recieved my Compass today. The post office actually attempted to deliver it yesterday, but I was not home. Started shipping on June 1st, arrived to Superior, Wisconsin on June 4th. Pretty fast EMS. Out of the box with my girlfriend's HD555s this sounds amazing. More impressions when burn in is complete and I have my HD650s!

biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back