The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Feb 15, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #2,071 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All fixed up AP....looks better now. I was too tired this morning to do it then. Agreed the Zero and the modded Zero are pretty darn good.

Peete.

DOH you fixed it like 5 minutes after I read it! Ha...

Nice job Peete! Now tell my wallet to stop itching...

Feb 15, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #2,072 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious if you have any insight to how the amp section might compare to DIY solutions? After I get my rebate I've been tempted to jump into the DIY arena (been slowly contemplating for years) and am wondering how something like a Compass in bypass mode + CK2III would sound like compared to a full Compass.

i.e. how high up the food chain you need to go in the DIY world to beat it.

(also adding to the "great article" feedback, will take a while to digest! Still achingly curious about the differences between the three discreet circuits though)

I would have to say the Beta 22 would be the next BIG jump above the Compass...anything else under that will be variations of the same with minor differences. It's difficult to say for sure but in this range there isn't a lot to separate the various DIY and retail offerings. The Compass being as new as it is will have to rely on end user input as I can only compare what I have on hand.

It's too early to say how it stacks up but my guess is it'll do well against many amps DIY or not in the 500US range roughly speaking. The Beta 22 is 3X times that cost with a basic build and chassis.

All IMO of course.

The Beta22 is a daunting prospect as DIY project (even for me). One day I would like to try and build one but that day is a looooooooong way off.

Peete.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #2,076 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by lag0a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He meant BNC like AES, Coaxial (rca), and Optical (toslink) for digital input I think. If your iMAC doesn't support BNC, you might need a different termination for that end.

I do not believe there is an optical input. I might be mistaken, but I think the Compass is the only Audio-gd DAC that has an optical input.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #2,077 of 7,725
I've just been having a chat to PP about gain settings, voicing and other bits and pieces, and here's what we've come up with as to what the final version of the Compass should have:

Gain: 9db/15db
The current settings are 13/19 which are quite high. 19 seems to be very high even with 300 Ohm headphones. 13 seems to us a bit low for the highest setting, especially if people want to (foolishly) blast their ears out with hi-impedance headphones, but is still quite high, so 15 seems to be a good balance.
Voicing: Completely neutral.
At present the default has slightly rolled-off highs. Compared to the ST3 and C2C, the sound of the headamp in the compass is a little closed with some headphones because of the roll-off. Since the soft settings take care of people with very bright headphones, for the default it's best to have the sound completely neutral.

What do people think?

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #2,078 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just been having a chat to PP about gain settings, voicing and other bits and pieces, and here's what we've come up with as to what the final version of the Compass should have:

The current settings are 13/19 which are quite high. 19 seems to be very high even with 300 Ohm headphones. 13 seems to us a bit low for the highest setting, especially if people want to (foolishly) blast their ears out with hi-impedance headphones, but is still quite high, so 15 seems to be a good balance.
At present the default has slightly rolled-off highs. Compared to the ST3 and C2C, the sound of the headamp in the compass is a little closed with some headphones because of the roll-off. Since the soft settings take care of people with very bright headphones, for the default it's best to have the sound completely neutral.

What do people think?

I'm for it (obviously).

Peete.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #2,079 of 7,725
Quote:

What do people think?

I'm 100% for both of those changes.

9/15dB sounds great and I want the neutral setting to be completely neutral.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #2,080 of 7,725
Quote:

What do people think?

+1

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #2,081 of 7,725
Quick question about the update posted on their site:

Quote:

Thanks all peoples give me advice of those buttoms.
Basing on Carl's web survey, I think put the Bypass on the front panel, the other functions on the rear. But we can make by customers special order of front button free, only need an extra week.

Can someone translate that to english a little better? I'm very confused about what he's actually trying to say.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #2,082 of 7,725
My only question is that based on what Kingwa said on the Compass page, he believes the neutral setting to already be neutral:
"But I personally hold the opinion that "Neutral" mode sound should not be changed. Because the "Neutral" sound is our high-grade products character. I know at this price, it is difficult to find a gear that has a "Neutral" sound, most gears have warm or tube-like or other sound color. Maybe some users can't expect or can't accept "Neutral" sound at this price.
For me, "Neutral" means least coloration of source signal, amp output is very important, it follows the source signal, and it can reveal the source, its recording defects or excellence.
"
Also, can these changes be made at this point? It seemed as though all the decisions were locked in already except for minor stuff that does not require any redesign of the circuit.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #2,083 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question about the update posted on their site:

Can someone translate that to english a little better? I'm very confused about what he's actually trying to say.

There will be 2 switches on the back panel controlling gain and preamp mode.
The front button will control the bypass function by default, but for no charge, you can have it switch gain OR switch preamp mode.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #2,084 of 7,725
The sound of the HP amp in the Compass is a little darker than that of the ST3 or C2C. I believe that this is because of something I said to Kingwa about the C2C. It's a confusing issue, because the ST3 and C2C have a bit of a boosted bass and I thought that the C2C had a boosted treble, but Kingwa said it doesn't. The problem turned out to be with my headphones, specifically my Denons, which, after modification, can end up sounding a bit bright and sibilant. There was a lot of discussion at the beginning about headphones, because Kingwa only had HD650s, so I suggested he buy Grados and K701s so he could get an idea what other people would hear.

I think the ultimate upshot of this is that the Compass was designed with a slightly rolled-off treble as a result of my comments. There is one huge problem here: All the hi-fi gear I could use to check this for sure is back in Australia, and the only other amp I owned, the Little Dot MKV, I've now sold, so I have no means to properly compare or test. About the only thing I could do is set up Rightmark Audio Analyser and do tests, but if Kingwa says that something is absolutely neutral, then I don't see any reason to doubt that.

If this confuses anyone, I don't blame you, I'm confused as well!

Anyway, I'm off to compare it to the Benchmark DAC1.

Feb 15, 2009 at 5:45 AM Post #2,085 of 7,725
What do you mean by "slightly rolled-off highs"? Can someone elaborate?
(Then I'll give you my opinion)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back