The Audio Critic Webzine
Oct 13, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
What other hifi magazines compare with The Audio Critic ? I'm looking for serious audio magazines. The kind that we can trust.

Audio Critic is probably the best.  HiFi Critic and Audioholics are both decent.  Soundstage reviews are so-so IMO, but they do decent measurements on some systems.

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 5
the editor, peter aczel, started out as a totally subjectivist reviewer but subsequently amended his views. there were some incidents that brought into question his credibility whereby his recommendations were also related to approaches & companies in which he had vested economic interests, ie. he was raving about a speaker while he was part owner of the company that made them (search on fourier speakers). i'd strongly recommend auditioning things he recommends before buying, as with any reviewer. don't count on anyone's recommendations as absolute!

Oct 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Though not quite the same, I'm a big fan of AudioXpress. It tends strongly towards DIY, but you will learn a lot and develop a more critical approach to design. A lot of their projects are excellent.

Another I love is the sadly defunct Sound Practices. You can usually find a DVD of all issues on eBay. Again, more of a DIY approach, but there's a lot to learn.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 5

daveDerek said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

the editor, peter aczel, started out as a totally subjectivist reviewer but subsequently amended his views. there were some incidents that brought into question his credibility whereby his recommendations were also related to approaches & companies in which he had vested economic interests, ie. he was raving about a speaker while he was part owner of the company that made them (search on fourier speakers). i'd strongly recommend auditioning things he recommends before buying, as with any reviewer. don't count on anyone's recommendations as absolute!

This is what I'm looking for, Thanks for your instruction! I got more deep understanding about this part, Nice writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back