The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Sep 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #5,386 of 7,138

Exactly haha. Head-fi is better for the masses.

The scale and drama that even 1500 dollar speakers can re-create though is still unmatched by even the most expensive of headphones. The C1 is just an example when it comes to detail. We haven't mentioned bass punch, dynamics, soundstaging, imaging or anything else which speakers are leaps and bounds ahead of headphones. That's where all the money goes towards

Don't forget room treatment. The state of your listening room is responsible for a significant portion of the sound quality from good speakers.

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #5,387 of 7,138

Don't forget room treatment. The state of your listening room is responsible for a significant portion of the sound quality from good speakers.

Another grand on absorption panels, bass traps and diffusers. sounds legit (not sarcastic)

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #5,389 of 7,138
Got my hands on a set of used LCD2 rev2 a couple of weeks ago. Been watching and longing at those headphones for at least a year. Meanwhile I've listened to a pair of sennheiser 650HD, they are by no means a bad headphone.

First impression when putting the LCDs on was that they really aren't that uncomfortable and heavy as people seems to think (to me at least). I wear them all day sitting in front of a computer and when switching back to the senns they (the senns) feel a bit funny to wear in comparison.

Sonically they were a big let down. Almost no difference in low extension and that dreadfull highs I so unlike which was not heard in the senns was back. However... 3 weeks later listening to them for 5-6hours every working day I r e a l l y cant stand the senns anymore. They make things sound as if everyone is standing shouting at me close-up, everything screaming for attention where the Audezes simply relaxes, pull things apart a bit and adds space and airiness to the presentation. I still think there is a bit too much treble, the bass is more extended but it's not that apparent to me, but there is for sure something missing there when using the senns.

I also believe the headphones was almost new, the leather and foam for the ear-cups looked as if they  were almost un-used (they don't now). Perhaps there will be a bit more lows and less highs in a week or two, I still remember them to be overwhelming with lows when listening to them first time, but back then I was used to a pair of Grado SR80
basshead.gif
 which might explain a thing or two.

Now, I wonder if I should start saving for a woo audio WA22 or simply enjoy my burson HA160+DA160 combination even though Audeze suggests the amplifier to lack power.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #5,390 of 7,138
The HA-160 is not good for the LCD-2 at all. I had to replace mine. I strongly reccomend the schiit mjolnir. I feel it pairs better with audeze than the WA-22 for less than half the price.

If you want to spend the money though there are

Bryston BHA-1
Headamp GS-x

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #5,391 of 7,138
@DrNope If it sounds like there's too much treble with the LCDs, there must be some bad synergy between the HA-160 and the the LCD2s. It's rare that anyone complains about the treble with the LCD2s. I'm very sensitive to treble energy and with the Mjolnir (which I consider somewhat forward for an amp), the treble is never anything than perfectly smooth. The bass extension on the LCD2s is impressive compared to most everything else-- not thumping you on every beat, but extends down to subterranean depths when the music calls for it. If there's any way you can audition some other amps, it would be worth trying.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #5,392 of 7,138
@DrNope If it sounds like there's too much treble with the LCDs, there must be some bad synergy between the HA-160 and the the LCD2s. It's rare that anyone complains about the treble with the LCD2s. I'm very sensitive to treble energy and with the Mjolnir (which I consider somewhat forward for an amp), the treble is never anything than perfectly smooth. The bass extension on the LCD2s is impressive compared to most everything else-- not thumping you on every beat, but extends down to subterranean depths when the music calls for it. If there's any way you can audition some other amps, it would be worth trying.
I agree. The mjolnir pumping juice to the LCD is nothing short of eargasim. The treble is very smooth with a prolific low end. As I've mentioned 5x, I feel that the mjolnir is THE best amp for the LCD line up.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #5,393 of 7,138
All of a sudden the price of hd800s is seeming more viable
The price tag literally goes out the window once you've heard the HD800 on a decent rig with great synergy.

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #5,394 of 7,138
  The HA-160 is not good for the LCD-2 at all. I had to replace mine. I strongly reccomend the schiit mjolnir. I feel it pairs better with audeze than the WA-22 for less than half the price.

If you want to spend the money though there are

Bryston BHA-1
Headamp GS-x

Good luck finding this one. Wish Justin still made it, it's a real jewel if you are not after balanced.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #5,395 of 7,138
Only ment that the upper range is more pronounced compared with the senns. And that initially they seemed to be a bit lacking lows but too much highs which sertainly has changed. I could listen to more music with the senns, the LCDs don't hide the issues with compressed music of today. With the Grados I heard some kind of distortion from digital music, not sure if that was real or my ears but it is always there if listening to records with high output. This was not there with the senns and reappeared with the Audezes, guess that scared me a bit.
But oh do the LCDs shine when allowed to. Listened to a couple of records with Chris Rea. Soft, easy listening, loads of lows. Thought I'd try the HD650s again but how awful they sound in comparison. Muffled crowded, boring..... No, they are not going to be used much from now on.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #5,396 of 7,138
Only ment that the upper range is more pronounced compared with the senns. And that initially they seemed to be a bit lacking lows but too much highs which sertainly has changed. I could listen to more music with the senns, the LCDs don't hide the issues with compressed music of today. With the Grados I heard some kind of distortion from digital music, not sure if that was real or my ears but it is always there if listening to records with high output. This was not there with the senns and reappeared with the Audezes, guess that scared me a bit.
But oh do the LCDs shine when allowed to. Listened to a couple of records with Chris Rea. Soft, easy listening, loads of lows. Thought I'd try the HD650s again but how awful they sound in comparison. Muffled crowded, boring..... No, they are not going to be used much from now on.
I think you may have the HD800 and LCDs confused. The LCD is more forgiving on a bad recording compared to the HD800.

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #5,398 of 7,138
Not the hd800, the hd650. IIRC the 800 has way too much treble for me. But my memory is not that good
Ah, apologies I thought you were referring to the HD800. But youre right, they can have too much treble. But I think people get into the HD800 wanting to warm up the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back