The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Apr 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #4,741 of 7,138
Quote:
For classical music you want that extra soundstage headroom because it gives the impressions of good instrument separation. If you have a laid back congested or narrow like soundstage such as the LCD2's certain aspects of the recording can sound mushed up, not coherent and congested. If you are strictly listening to classical music, jazz or some ambient type of music only the HD800's are the end game headphone for that path before going into the stat's arena which also have a similar airy, wide soundstage sound presentation.

Just my .02 cents, but I don't want the impression of separation, I want the truth of what is on the recording.  Phones like the KXXX and HD800 give you this and something extra.  I'm actually a huge fan of this and love it most of the time, all I was trying to say was there is something that strikes me as extremely right and truthful about the way the LCD-2 renders instrument timbres.  The LCD-2 don't sound congested or closed in on my setup, they just don't make that deliberate effort to project wide like some phones do.  I wouldn't call either effort misguided, as each has their place so far as serving the different preferences and perceptions we all have.

If anything I agree with your logic, more air generally serves classical music well.  All I can say is I was struck by how truly real instruments sound on the LCD-2 and I think part of the reason for that is because Audeze wasn't making a deliberate attempt to inject this extra sense of air.  So instead the correct sense of weight that notes occupy in space is conveyed better than I have heard it on other headphones.  I didn't realize how important this was to timbre until I discovered through the LCD-2 that so many other headphones don't seem to get it right.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #4,742 of 7,138
Well if the LCD3 just blows away the LCD2.2's then they are truly remarkable cans for sure. Because I can say these 2.2's that I have are over the top awesome. After getting a lot more hours on the whole system, the treble is opening up and the amp/dac/phones are really working well now. I would like to audition a set of the 3's someday but for now I think it will be hard to improve upon what I have got now. It is rather disheartening to hear peeps saying the LCD2.2's are just not even in the same league as the 3's which I just don't believe. Since my priority is my photography and I have not finished altering my lens or cam body inventory the LCD2.2's I have are my endgame for quite some time which is OK because they are purely awesome. They may not be the absolute look down your nose at those who don't have the absolute finest Stax 009's or the LCD3's but they are also not the junk yard dogs of the head phone world either so cut it out already OK?

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4,743 of 7,138
Quote:
Well if the LCD3 just blows away the LCD2.2's then they are truly remarkable cans for sure. Because I can say these 2.2's that I have are over the top awesome. After getting a lot more hours on the whole system, the treble is opening up and the amp/dac/phones are really working well now. I would like to audition a set of the 3's someday but for now I think it will be hard to improve upon what I have got now. It is rather disheartening to hear peeps saying the LCD2.2's are just not even in the same league as the 3's which I just don't believe. Since my priority is my photography and I have not finished altering my lens or cam body inventory the LCD2.2's I have are my endgame for quite some time which is OK because they are purely awesome. They may not be the absolute look down your nose at those who don't have the absolute finest Stax 009's or the LCD3's but they are also not the junk yard dogs of the head phone world either so cut it out already OK?

Don't worry, as soon as you get the 3's, they'll release the 4's for $3,000 and they will blow the junk yard dog lcd3's out of the water.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4,745 of 7,138
I doubt the an LCD-4 would blow the 3 out of the water, unless it has some kind of new technology.

To me, the 3 barely beats the 2.2, and i'm listening on a LYR right now.
Has substantial gains in some categories, while others is just subtle.

IMO, i could only see it at a $1500-$1600 price range.

Tim

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #4,750 of 7,138
For that price, id get the SR007 last version plus electrostatic amp...

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #4,751 of 7,138
Quote:
Just my .02 cents, but I don't want the impression of separation, I want the truth of what is on the recording.  Phones like the KXXX and HD800 give you this and something extra.  I'm actually a huge fan of this and love it most of the time, all I was trying to say was there is something that strikes me as extremely right and truthful about the way the LCD-2 renders instrument timbres.  The LCD-2 don't sound congested or closed in on my setup, they just don't make that deliberate effort to project wide like some phones do.  I wouldn't call either effort misguided, as each has their place so far as serving the different preferences and perceptions we all have.

If anything I agree with your logic, more air generally serves classical music well.  All I can say is I was struck by how truly real instruments sound on the LCD-2 and I think part of the reason for that is because Audeze wasn't making a deliberate attempt to inject this extra sense of air.  So instead the correct sense of weight that notes occupy in space is conveyed better than I have heard it on other headphones.  I didn't realize how important this was to timbre until I discovered through the LCD-2 that so many other headphones don't seem to get it right.

Yeah I wasn't talking about how real instruments sound on either of the headphone but just asserting my point to which you said the soundstage on the HD800 is too wide which don't portray the true nature of the recording. Aside from how well you might like the rendering of instruments on the LCD2's, it still has it's flaws and restrictions. But trust me if you ever have the chance and I hate to sound like an HD800 fanboi (which I'm not), run them puppies on a very good DAC linked to a good amp (I prefer tubes) and listen to some 24bit piano sonata or so and you will fall in love with the sound as piano sound reproduction is probably one of the hardest to get right for external transducers to reproduce be it speakers or headphones other than hearing the thing live in front of you.

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #4,752 of 7,138
Quote:
For that price, id get the SR007 last version plus electrostatic amp...

beerchug.gif
. But let's not dismiss orthos behave in a similar way to electrostatic transducers, so they have the potential to very good as well (if engineered properly).

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #4,754 of 7,138
Thank goodness.
I don't like closed backs, so no upgrades for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back