The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Oct 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7,138

cricketbaby

100+ Head-Fier
Well, my LCD-2s came today. So far comfort isn't an issue, although I've been lying down most of the time and I have a smallish head. I'm loving the accuracy of the bass the most so far. The overall sound is wonderfully natural and has worked well with everything I've thrown at it, including my own trance productions. Just for curiosities sake I'm gonna start a track using them tomorrow and see what the result is :)

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 7,138
^ glad you finally got your LCD2 cricketbaby, and that you're enjoying them. 
beerchug.gif

Seems they're working ok with your MK V. Are you still considering DAC/Bifrost as your next step?

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 7,138
They're sounding okay but the actually sound limited. Very strange considering i haven't heard them on anything else. I'm dreading putting my Ultrasones back on after this, they'll probably sound horrible! 
I was thinking about a Lyr / Bifrost combo, but if these turn out any good for production (which i think they might do after a quick listen) i'll wanna go completely SS. Looking forward to reading reviews of the Bifrost.

Oct 4, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 7,138
There's useful info in the LCD2-amp thread if you haven't already seen this. Natural but not "wow" was my first impression of my (rev 1) LCD2, but this rapidly changed as I heard more material and attuned to their character. There's a suggestion - if you believe in burn-in or even if you don't perhaps! - that about 200 hours is needed on the rev2.

Is the mark V OTL? Can't quite recall but think Skylab/Rob commented OTL amps aren't ideal. As well, Kevin (KWKarth) has commented on the need for good current capability.

+1 re Bifrost reviews. Rob's one of the reviewer's but was still waiting on his unit like everyone else!

Edit: Oops, what am I thinking?! The Mark V's SS. Whilst I'm not a big advocate of the "LCD2 needs power" school of thought, the V's roughly 400 mW into your LCD2's 60 ohms might be a bit light for decent dynamics and life...

Oct 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 7,138
I'm still in that exact stage. Natural but not wow...... I do believe in burn in (whether it be from ears acclimatising to the sound, or parts loosening up so to speak), i've noticed it with almost every headphone i own. 
Not sure when i'm going to be able to get an amp tbh though, might be able to manage it around xmas time. But i also want a new laptop and DAC...... there's always far too much stuff to buy!!

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 7,138
CB I'm sorry I didn't notice you had the LD V in your other thread - I might have recommended amp upgrade first. Not that there's anything wrong with little dots...! (I found my LD 1+ hybrid a great match with my grados for example, although the Lyr is a better match again).

However, what's really important is to get through the LCD2 burn-in first, then let your own ears and musical tastes dictate the next moves. Around Xmas would seem the right timing - patience is a virtue with the LCD2 IMHO - and I certainly wouldn't lose sleep if it has to be the laptop first.

Quote:
I'm still in that exact stage. Natural but not wow...... I do believe in burn in (whether it be from ears acclimatising to the sound, or parts loosening up so to speak), i've noticed it with almost every headphone i own. 
Not sure when i'm going to be able to get an amp tbh though, might be able to manage it around xmas time. But i also want a new laptop and DAC...... there's always far too much stuff to buy!!

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #7 of 7,138
Cavalli Liquid Fire amp is the way to go for the LCD21 rev2's.  All incredibly great.  Impact, weighty, detailed............This combo has brought the music I own to life again!

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 7,138
$3200.

My left driver just DIED!!!  I've read about this happening w/these in the Forums.  Contacted Audeze so I'm down here.  Bummer.  

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 7,138
Just got the prepaid FedEx label.  They are on their way back.  They will repair or replace it says which is fine.  I don't care either way.  I was hoping they'd ship me a new pair already like they've done in the past but no.  Plus with upcoming RMAF/CanJam I believe they'd be pretty busy so not holding my breath here.  Bummed for sure.  I was listening to Pet Sounds at the time.  It switched over to the sessions part and I thought the left was going to kick in any minute but.....................

They are going back to Santa Ana, CA.  I never paid attention before because I thought they were manufactured in Nevada where their business is listed.

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #13 of 7,138
Not cool.  I read before where they'd ship out  a new one while you were shipping back so pretty much no down time.  They paid for FedEx ground to CA and I'm outside of Chicago so maybe they'll get it Friday but more like Monday.  Plus the shows are this weekend so I bet I'm looking at two weeks here total.  Good that all will be taken care of but not happy with about 6 weeks on these.

Oct 7, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #14 of 7,138
So Rev 2 also die ? That make me sad because i recently send back my rev 1 which right driver went dead after 6 months it would be awful if my new pair will also no longer works just after the warranty, its a shame that such a wonderful sounding headphone have this big reliability issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back