The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Feb 27, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #7,126 of 7,138
  I purchased through Shane at http://nightanddayaudio.com in Durham, NC.  Shane was able to communicate directly with Audeze and keep me posted on their day-to-day progress/going-ons...I have him to thank for making my first Audeze purchase a smooth sailing success (saved from the many troubles I have read on this forum).

Shane is awesome and really seems to want to make the end user's process as smooth as possible.  You should try to visit a headphone meet he's attending - then you'll really see how great a guy he is.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #7,129 of 7,138
when drivers fail do they just stop working or do they slowly die (ie do the drivers get quieter or start crackling)? 

certainly do not want to jinx myself but i have both the lcd-2 (2016 fazor) and lcd-2.2(pre-fazor)
- at the same settings the 2016 sounds louder than the 2.2pf

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #7,130 of 7,138
  when drivers fail do they just stop working or do they slowly die (ie do the drivers get quieter or start crackling)? 

certainly do not want to jinx myself but i have both the lcd-2 (2016 fazor) and lcd-2.2(pre-fazor)
- at the same settings the 2016 sounds louder than the 2.2pf

You can hear a crumpling noise at first when you wear them, and then they fail all of the sudden. The crumpling noise is now normal on all new production models as they lowered the compliance of the driver to help stop the failures.

The 2016 has a lower impedance than the pre-fazor. 50 ohm vs 70 ohm, and I believe the sensitivity is a little higher on the newer models. That would be why the 2016 sounds louder.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #7,131 of 7,138
I am one of the lucky ones I guess, I have had my LCD2's for over a year and listen to them every day pretty much and they still sound as good as the first day I got them. They replaced some Sen 650's (which I still have) and the first thing I thought was, "Man these sound just like my 650's...only better in every way." I still love putting them on from time to time and really listening. I still marvel at the details I can hear and most of all the imaging, which they are not known for, but i think they do an exceptional job of it. I hope that as they have gone this long without a failure of any kind, that I am beyond the "failure window" and can relax now.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #7,132 of 7,138
  You can hear a crumpling noise at first when you wear them, and then they fail all of the sudden. The crumpling noise is now normal on all new production models as they lowered the compliance of the driver to help stop the failures.

The 2016 has a lower impedance than the pre-fazor. 50 ohm vs 70 ohm, and I believe the sensitivity is a little higher on the newer models. That would be why the 2016 sounds louder.

thanks for the reply... i thought it was something to do with the ohms 
tongue.gif

I am one of the lucky ones I guess, I have had my LCD2's for over a year and listen to them every day pretty much and they still sound as good as the first day I got them. They replaced some Sen 650's (which I still have) and the first thing I thought was, "Man these sound just like my 650's...only better in every way." I still love putting them on from time to time and really listening. I still marvel at the details I can hear and most of all the imaging, which they are not known for, but i think they do an exceptional job of it. I hope that as they have gone this long without a failure of any kind, that I am beyond the "failure window" and can relax now.

i am absolutely amazed by the lcd-2; the driver failure is concerning but if anything happens hopefully audeze will be accommodating as it is a known issue.

btw; what would be the 'failure window' in terms of hours used or age of the headphone ? 

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #7,133 of 7,138
  i am absolutely amazed by the lcd-2; the driver failure is concerning but if anything happens hopefully audeze will be accommodating as it is a known issue.

btw; what would be the 'failure window' in terms of hours used or age of the headphone ? 

It seems to be most common on the 2014-2015 early fazor models. You are covered under their 3 year warranty, just have to pay shipping. If they fail outside of that window it's 250 bucks to replace drivers. If they go for 3 years I suspect it's a good pair and won't fail.

Mine failed twice, both times after about a year of use.

Jan 6, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #7,136 of 7,138
I have heard LCD 2 (fazor) & been wanting to buy one of those. If one were to buy used one today(mostly for Jazz, Classical, ambient), would the non-fazor one be a better choice or the newer fazor ones. Thanks in advance.

Jan 8, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #7,137 of 7,138
No clue. I have the Non-Fazor which I've read a few places people prefer however I've never had the opportunity to compare the two. I am still quite happy w/my LCD-2.2's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back