The Audeze LCD-2 Ortho thread (New)
Feb 13, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #6,046 of 7,138
  Happy owner of Audeze LCD-2 since late January 2014.  Awesome sound.  Previous headphones were K701 so the difference in listening experience great.  Unfortunately, not so happy since one of speakers died the other day and have to send them in for repair.    

Welcome to Head-fi! 

Sorry to hear that happened. How heart breaking!

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #6,047 of 7,138
  Happy owner of Audeze LCD-2 since late January 2014.  Awesome sound.  Previous headphones were K701 so the difference in listening experience is amazing.  Unfortunately, not so happy since one of speakers died the other day and have to send them in for repair.  As a musician and audiophile, I have never had a speaker fail ever except original Infinity Column II woofers years ago, so this is quite disconcerting.    

You can never make a product with a 0% failure rate (especially with a handmade item), unfortunately you were just unlucky. You don't need to worry, driver failure among Audeze headphones isn't that common, and they are well known for their excellent customer service.

Feb 13, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #6,048 of 7,138

You can never make a product with a 0% failure rate (especially with a handmade item), unfortunately you were just unlucky. You don't need to worry, driver failure among Audeze headphones isn't that common, and they are well known for their excellent customer service.

Actually, yes you can.  Don't mean to go off topic, but I've never heard a man complain about a Vagina failing to achieve its objective.  A penis however...spotty track record.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #6,050 of 7,138
  Wow, the LCD-2 thread's gone a little down-market since I was here last.

Ahh well, head-fi is a funny place.  From what I can gather, the LCD2 has been reduced to some kind of a laughing stock here.

It doesn't matter anyway.  Audeze and their LCD2 completely shook-up, not only the headphone world but the entire Hi-Fi industry, and the old guards don't know how to react.  Just check out the 'corporate review' of the LCD2 on stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/entry-level-36
Makes me laugh...they'll be backtracking before you know it...in fact I think they already have...
L3000.gif

**** stereophile and their old men corporate kiss assing. 
angry_face.gif

Checked the frequency response of their highly recommended budget bookshelves - all of them seem to have their treble tilting up - in contrast to known research that has been around for decades.  For what, to foster a class division? a culture division? Promote an 'elite' group of hi-fi know it alls that only listen to music created for their bright systems.  Promote their audiophiliac culture and denigrate the professional mainstream music industry?

The first can to demonstrate professional audio grade flat frequency response...they may be a frowned upon product here now...but it already is the living legend that started it all. 

It kicked off the research by Harmon in order to investigate the whole phenomena - and I can't wait to sample the new products as a result of it.  But it gets overlooked hear - because of naysayers and their ********.  Seems like the entire industry is trying to make sense of what had happened a few years a ago with the introduction of the one that started it all.

The pro audio boards have nothing but praise for the LCD2....their incredible 'depth' to the sound is brought up a lot...but deaf and clueless head-fiers proclaim otherwise.  No hyperbole over in the pro audio - they call it how they see it.

Feb 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #6,052 of 7,138

I've never noticed this, it seems to be a pretty solid staple here in my experience.

Bring up the LCD2 in summit-fi...bring up the HD650 in summit-fi...now its OK, in light of new research...but boy was I shocked when I started re-posting this year.

You didn't notice the STAX and HD800 crowd at work in the LCD2 threads...that doesn't happen in other headphone threads?

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #6,053 of 7,138
I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with both the lcd2 and alpha/mad dogs? And which one did you prefer?

I'm thinking about venturing back into head-fi in the future when I have more money (and after I build a decent speaker set up, and buy a new amp for my guitar, so it won't be anytime soon) and I've been looking at these two and prospects. 

I've been through a few headphones throughout the years, so I'm pretty familiar with the sound signature of a few. I did enjoy the hd650 on my valhalla, but it was a tad dark for me. And while I liked the HE-500 a lot, it was really heavy which made me not use them as much as I had expected. I've also sold my bifrost/lyr stack, and currently just have the M/M stack (mainly just using the modi to be honest). But I might get another tube amp if I were to get the LCD2 or Alphas. 

Thanks everyone, 
-T

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #6,054 of 7,138
  I was just wondering if anyone here has experience with both the lcd2 and alpha/mad dogs? And which one did you prefer?

I'm thinking about venturing back into head-fi in the future when I have more money (and after I build a decent speaker set up, and buy a new amp for my guitar, so it won't be anytime soon) and I've been looking at these two and prospects. 

I've been through a few headphones throughout the years, so I'm pretty familiar with the sound signature of a few. I did enjoy the hd650 on my valhalla, but it was a tad dark for me. And while I liked the HE-500 a lot, it was really heavy which made me not use them as much as I had expected. I've also sold my bifrost/lyr stack, and currently just have the M/M stack (mainly just using the modi to be honest). But I might get another tube amp if I were to get the LCD2 or Alphas. 

Thanks everyone, 
-T

Feb 13, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #6,055 of 7,138
Agreed, the LCD2s are a heavy can.  The alpha dogs being cheaper, lighter and probably more comfortable - you'll get the planar sound.  I too would like a lighter planar for casual listening.  Though these days, I'm inclined not to listen to music casually as it always leads to me cranking it up when a nice track comes up.

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #6,057 of 7,138
  thanks guys, I guess I'll dip my toes back into this hobby with the mad dogs then.

When I have a better amp in the future I'll take a look at the LCD2s again :)

I own the LCD2 and Mad Dog, not at the same time, but honestly, it's not really far from each other. 
Both of them made me happy, and serve me for my purchase intention really well.
I need to step up on my amp as well, I still using O2/ODAC combo.

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #6,059 of 7,138
  Actually, yes you can.  Don't mean to go off topic, but I've never heard a man complain about a Vagina failing to achieve its objective.  A penis however...spotty track record.

Dude, if you think something can't go terribly wrong with a vagina, I've got news for ya...

Feb 14, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #6,060 of 7,138
  Dude, if you think something can't go terribly wrong with a vagina, I've got news for ya...

horrible, terrible, frightening things !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back