The ATH-CKS77.
Apr 4, 2012 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,518

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
First. I would like to thank all the guys that have followed me to through my various threads. It is always exciting to find something new when doing such a thread and while many a guys have seen me recommend these earphones. I think it is about time to start a new thread for an earphone that definitely deserves it.

I am sure everyone has visited at one time or another the CKM50 thread and I have grown to appreciate Audio Technica in a new light. I didn't plan on getting every CKM earphone but that is in fact what I ended up doing as well as taking a chance on a CKS77. Audio Technica is about making products that perform without big hoopla or marketing of other companies. They just make very nice sounding stuff and why should you care?

It is funny to me that guys will spend so much money on what is the norm around here ie the Monsters and the UEs and the like for good reason yet the AT family of earphones are somewhat overlooked. Which imo is a big mistake. So lets cut to the chase and I will try to explain why these have a special sound.. Very first impressions of them

Happy birthday to me. I decided to get these for my own bday gift cus the wife won't buy it for me. She thinks I am crazy for owning so many headphones already. Lol! So I just got these    I am gonna burn these in all day before take a good listen but I will tell you guys right off the bat. THESE ARE FREAKING GREAT!!

So far they are exactly how I imagined they would sound. A super high end bassy earphone!! Now these have even more of a sub woofer sound than the CKM50s.. Yes these sound like a more refined CKM50 with even a bigger bass presence but only when called upon. These have much better balance than the CKM50s as well the mids are very present. Lovely full sound YES!! A proper audiophile basshead earphones..So far I am impressed with how AT achieved this sound.

Everything is separated the highs the mids the bass. That is what is astonishing. No bass bleed. Yet they have copious amounts of bass when called for. And we are talking HAFX1X Xeport 5010 levels. But with a much more cleaner, controlled, fuller yet very refined sound. My basshead side and my analytical side are both smiling from ear to ear!. More to come after some burn.

Wholy cow guys. The sub bass on these. Lol! These truly sound like subs but what is smile inducing is everything else is proper.. What I am also detecting the tuning on the sound is immaculate. The highs have clear detail and extension, the mids come full and has much depth. The biggest question I had was what will this 2nd chamber do for the mids and highs more than the bass. I read plenty how the bass is on another level on these earphones and they are.

The quality is on an entire different level on these earphones.  I loved the sub bass of the CKM50 and even the SHE3580. These CKS77s put the sub bass on those to shame.. But again the integrity of the tune come full and clean. No loss in detail in anything I am hearing because of big bass. If anything these take the sound of the CKM50s and super tweek it to a nice high level..Music all my music bassy or not comes full detailed and clean only when the need for big brawny bass is when the bass shows its prowess..I never thought that a bassy earphone would have this level of sound.

The detail level is not quite the CKM77s but these are damn close which is shocking to me, yet these have the bass end to match the details on the highs with complete detailed mids to boot. I never thought there was such an earphone.

Updated. So I went out and bought myself a used pair of Monster Miles Davis Tributes thinking those would be an upgrade to the sounds of these CKS77s. hmmm I think not.  A/Bing both. Lets just say the Monsters failed to do one up on the CKS77.
I know guys here are used to my budget cheap stuff and believe it or not at $108 being sold on buy.com.. I feel I am continuing this. For the money spent these are sheer enjoyment.. Music has so much depth it leaves my other earphones sounding flat in comparison.

So why am I bringing this thread up now? Do not overlook these earphones. I feel it is my duty as a fellow member of this community to bring out some truth about an earphone that has been met with some questions and somewhat of a cloud. These are not just for bass heavy genres my friends..There are some earphones that sound great for some genres and not so much others. You guys should know what I am talking about.. These.. Sound amazing for everything.. It has everything to do with this double chamber.  

These have nothing to do with the experiments that was the CKS50,70,90s..Upon reading older reviews of the CKS70 it seemed those has copious amounts of bass and that big sound the double chamber helps to create but was lacking in the highs and mids. I can certainly say the CKS77 is not lacking in any part of the sound in fact not only very complete, detailed and balanced extremely well but there is a PLUS factor that made me realize. Guys.. These are special in every sense of the word. No other earphone I have sound quite like these.

When you guys hear your music and you close your eyes. Can you make out the depth of the note? That natural reverb from the recording on some pianos or some strings. Or the high hats that dance on top of you tunes in Jazz. Can you almost see in what you hear how thick the reverb is? Does your sound come complete circle in depth as much as the width?? These DO!. It is quite astonishing. You can make out not just the clean separation of the instruments but the effects of the strings the impacts of the drums. The emotion in the voice..Every piece of authority in the tune the way the artist intended.. I am now 100% certain after using these for a good part of 2 months straight. These leave other earphones sounding flat and quite boring in comparison. Don't believe me?. Try one out as see for yourself. With this I begin yet another thread for a very worthy earphone.. No these are not just for bass heavy tunes.. Wait till you guys hear these with your bass light tunes.

Coming soon. Yes I just bought a MG7 to compare to these. Keep and eye out..But in honesty I am sure the MG7s are very comparable to these. I will just say it again. DO NOT OVERLOOK THESE!.. These will completely surprise. Especially for Monster earphone owners.

So this test tune you guys must try with the CKS77..A/B this with your other IEMs. You can hear the fullness of the CKS77 on this tune.
  How much depth of sound does your earphone have. Test it with this..

Mod Edit:  Content from banned members is not allowed.
redface.gif

Update 5/3/2012

Tips- seem to have an affect in the sound.. Wider holed tips will up the mids and just a bit lows using the lowest closest slot on the nozzle. Position 2..

Tip adjustment-. Thanks for Pfloyd to point out tips adjusted to the lowest position vs outer does effect  sound. Mids do come more upfront and sound more intimate. With outer setting the stage is a shy wider and lessening the mids..

Mods- No filter mid or version CKS77-B made by FlySweep. Page 30..Taking filter out cleans up some of the coloration which many may like more so than the filtered stock sound.. Taking filter out is irreversible there for a one time deal. But guys that want a cleaner sound  with even better clarity balanced version. This will lessen the coloration which was intended. Taking filter out tunes the sound a bit more balanced.

Impressions:

FlySweep                Page 26
Danny93 w Zo2        Page 28
Oneoseven vs MG7   Page 41
Sicilian0 vs FX700     Page 49
Jant71                    Page 58
FlySweep CKs77 vs the FXT90 comparo http://www.head-fi.org/t/604094/the-ath-cks77-big-roomy-detailed-balanced-n-i-am-not-just-talking-about-the-bass/855#post_8356722

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 1,518
Thanks for the thread, nuts!
I've had these for a couple of weeks now.
I have to agree with everything stated.
They've sounded good for every genre, and from every source I've tried them on.
I was a bit skeptical, because the price was a bit higher than I'd usually spend for an iem.
I'm a happy camper that I did!
beerchug.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 1,518
Congrats BG.. You will go down as the first post and happy user of the amazing CKS77..Notice how flat everything else sounds in comparison.? These have ruined so many other earphones for me. Don't know if I should be happy or sad about that fact. Lol! 

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 1,518
Woot.!.I think we will have more and more guys interested. I figured these definitely deserve their own thread..Glad both you guys are in for the initial responses to these. I showed this on the CKM50 thread but this is so true.
Ok guys I just got my new Sony Z1060 + Armin Van Buuren + Clear Bass Level 2 + CKS77 =

I can't describe how this sounds. It is simply perfection on every level. UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE! 

Listening to this combo now.

Apr 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 1,518
Spec-wise, is this CKS77 marketed above or below ATH-CKS90?
CKS90 was very popular in Japan a year or 2 ago.  Not sure where it stands now.

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 1,518
I think spec wise both will be very similar but there is indeed a reason why a CKS99 does not exist. These are it. These are what AT envisioned when they created the Solid Bass earphones. I am certain of it. The more and more I hear these, the refinements are quite astonishing.. I never thought the day would come where the words bassy and detailed would actually coexist but then you add this crazy space field of sound that is just remarkable and you get a very pleasant sounding CKS77.. I am listening to Diana Krall right now.. Just gorgeous sound..

Both the CKS90 and the CKS77 spec are the same
5hz-25khz
16ohm      

Apr 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 1,518
" I decided to get these for my own bday gift cus the wife won't buy it for me. She thinks I am crazy for owning so many headphones already. Lol! So I just got these " 

"Hey there love, here's a present. Go on open it"
"It's a pair of headphones.....again..."​
"I KNOW! Isn't that great?" 
 ​
lol. Great thread DSnuts. I love the way you talk about new headphones/earphones nobody want's to give a second look to, and review them while at the same time tell people you are not crazy because things that seem like paradox's (big bass with no bleed) are the exact things you are hearing. Was wondering when you would give these their own thread. I'm loving my E10's at the moment but if I can sell them I will get the 77's in a heartbeat. If sounds similar to the ws55 my mind will be made.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #10 of 1,518

Quote:
" I decided to get these for my own bday gift cus the wife won't buy it for me. She thinks I am crazy for owning so many headphones already. Lol! So I just got these " 

"Hey there love, here's a present. Go on open it"
"It's a pair of headphones.....again..."​
"I KNOW! Isn't that great?" 
 ​
lol. Great thread DSnuts. I love the way you talk about new headphones/earphones nobody want's to give a second look to, and review them while at the same time tell people you are not crazy because things that seem like paradox's (big bass with no bleed) are the exact things you are hearing. Was wondering when you would give these their own thread. I'm loving my E10's at the moment but if I can sell them I will get the 77's in a heartbeat. If sounds similar to the ws55 my mind will be made.

Thanks my friend. Believe me if these don't deserve a thread for themselves I wouldn't start one..These not only sound similar to the WS55.. Imo I think these are superior. Much more intimate sounding. More comfy as they are earphones. I love my WS55s and yes you can say these are very close to those but the music imaging is shocking on these. It is like a more detailed dynamic version of them. If there is a category in rating an earphone in the enjoyable category these would be a 10/10.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #12 of 1,518
well, I probably will be picking up a pair some time this month since they not too expensive for the imported japanese version in HK. :)

dsnut,

how much was your pair in the US? also which position do you set your earpiece at? This will be the first iem that I will own that have too positions for the earpiece..... 

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 1,518
the cks77 is much better then the ws55 in that the bass presantation is more imaculate...and they push air like a big ass sub woofer, the bass also is very thight as well.....they are aslo much clearer to my ear...yesterday at night i got a headache lol from listening to infected mushroom......a also i have both the cks and the ws but i love the cks much more....they make me cry how beautiful thry reproduce my music and thanks to dsnuts for finding the most amazing buds known to man kind and i highly recommened them :)

Apr 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #14 of 1,518

Quote:
well, I probably will be picking up a pair some time this month since they not too expensive for the imported japanese version in HK. :)

dsnut,

how much was your pair in the US? also which position do you set your earpiece at? This will be the first iem that I will own that have too positions for the earpiece..... 

I tried the tip pushed out or 2nd position and to me it just didn't sound the same. Kinda distant sounding so I only use the tip pushed all the way in. Or position one the way they come in that package.. So I got word from The MG7 thread this morning how the highs and mids need just a bit eQ to sound correct. Hmm..I am ok with that but these CKS77 need no eQ to sound right..Everything is proper. Any eq is just more of what you want out of them..

I can't wait to try out the MG7 as those in my estimation should be the closest competitor to these CKS77.  I bought mine for around $105 shipped from buy.com which I think is a solid deal but anything below for these are a bargain. Glad to have you on board Snoop. I think guys that like authoritative musical full sound are gonna love these. 

Apr 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 1,518
Ok so this is very interesting. I just tried my tip on the 2nd slot on the nozzle..This changes the sound a little. For one the sound stage widens a bit and looses a little of the thick rich sound on these earphones and sound become a tad bit standard vs the full depth you get with the tip on the first slot.

I still prefer the tip on the very bottom or slot one but the 2nd slot is interesting.. You get a two for one sound on the CKS77..The right side is on slot 2 the left on slot one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back