The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
May 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #1,786 of 1,921
Quote:
[size=medium]The CKM500 have been in my possession for almost two weeks now.  Being my first quality IEM, I am impressed with these little things.  I had to wince at the piercing highs at first.  But leaving them overnight helped out, and they sound much more pleasing now. [/size]

[size=medium]They are very well built as well, with a thought out design.  The part that attaches to the cable is made completely out of a rubbery material.  And their shape, is very much like the Skullcandy Fix, in that they hang on the ear, despite being on the larger side.  [/size]

[size=medium]Overall, I am very happy with these, and would like to thank dsnuts for his recommendation.  [/size]

[size=medium]The only thing that didn't quite work out for me, luckily might be fixable.  They are the tips.  I use the smallest tips and they still cause more fatigue than my current Klipsch IEM.  I also think that I feel the manufacturing ridge from the molding, like many other tips have.  Maybe I'll try a very sharp razor at it.  [/size]

[size=medium]The best tips I've ever used are on Klipsch s4a.  They are more angular in their point, more of an oval shape, and a little smaller.  They also can afford to be, as they fit over a much smaller hole.  [/size]

[size=medium]Can someone recommend tips that will work better for me?  I'm hoping a better fit will make a better seal too.  I also want to try foam, but only for flights.[/size]

Wide bore tips helps with the sound and if you have a radio shack close by look into Auveo tips. They sell packages of them. Try other tips you have and see how they fair and I would go from there. But the Auveo tips I highly recommend. Think better Sony Hybrids. Very soft excellent quality.

Quote:
Been reading over this thread for days and have already ordered the ckm500, in blue.
wink.gif

Wondering if anyone could give some direct comparisons to the UE tf10 (of whose sound sig i am very familiar)?
I also have the ckm50 and love the bass but think the mids are lacking, treble a bit unsmooth, BUT that particular iem is the most comfortable (best fit for my ears) i have ever used, unlike the tf10.
Can someone compare the size, shape, fit of the ckm50 to 500-- is the form factor similar? If so, think i may be very happy indeed!
Thanks Dsnuts and all for all the great insights, these ATs lately are truly amazing for price/performance!

For factor is not only similar but an improvement over the CKM50s. Give them a solid burn in to get the best sound from the CKM500s. I would also look into them Auveo tips sold at radio shack.

Quote:
Would these iems be a considerable upgrade over soundmagic e10 ? Anyone who owns both and can chime their input ? Would really appreciate it.

Joker did a nice review on these. I have never owned the e10 but I bet you can get your answer on that thread. http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-279-iems-compared-audio-technica-ckm500-added-05-01-13-p-678/10170#post_9402580 . I am gonna guess these will be a nice upgrade for you.

May 4, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #1,787 of 1,921
According to joker the bass is a bit bloated which is a turn off for me. I listen to mostly metal and vsonic vc02 sounds thinner and more accurate. Guess I'll look into some vsonic earphones, perhaps the new vsd1 or the zero audio ones.

May 4, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #1,788 of 1,921
Thanks, Dsnuts :wink:
Could you compare the sound of the ckm500 to the newer ckn70? (I've ordered both)
Can anyone compare either of the ATs to UEtf10??

Ill look into the auvio tips, have seen them at my local RS, just didnt think theyd be that good:D
Will they fit both ATs?

Thanks again for all the help!!

May 5, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #1,789 of 1,921
Nice I think both will surprise you. The CKM500 is what I call a transitional iem to the new AT sound which is more the CKN70. But both are excellent for different reasons so you will get a very nice 3D type sound.

Try the stock tips first on both earphones and see how you like the fit and sound of the stock tips and then you can always try other tips. The CKN70 like smaller bore tips. I use Sony hybrids on my pair. Sounds great. The CKM500 like wider bore tips. GIves more emphasis and detail in the mids for even a better balanced sound. Auveo tips on them.

As for TF10s. They have been passed up by many earphones sonically as of late and I think once you hear these earphones you will understand.. I highly recommend a big burn in for both.. Get a headphone splitter and just leave higher volume music playing through both for several weeks.. The CKN70 use carbon nanotubes.. They need at least 200. Actually both need around 200 hrs., It is always fun to listen in on them when burning them in to hear the various stages of change.

May 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,790 of 1,921
Thanks, looking forward to hearing both!
Ill try out the tips first, actually like the tips on the cmk50s a lot stock. Think i have some sony hybrids already too, if theyre the same tip size (for the UEs).
Firm believer in burn in, have studio equipment with pink noise, etc., so i will get them cooking as soon as i get them:wink:
Really hoping the comfort levels are good for me too, so i can enjoy them a LOT!

May 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #1,791 of 1,921
Quote:
According to joker the bass is a bit bloated which is a turn off for me. I listen to mostly metal and vsonic vc02 sounds thinner and more accurate. Guess I'll look into some vsonic earphones, perhaps the new vsd1 or the zero audio ones.

i got both vsonic gr02 and ckm500. and yep i listen to metal as well . overall gr02 is better for me. just imo 

May 7, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #1,792 of 1,921
Agree, I like CKM500 but the mid bass bloat is really annoying...I deliberately use smaller tips than that which I normally use to lessen the bloat.

May 7, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #1,793 of 1,921
Quote:
Agree, I like CKM500 but the mid bass bloat is really annoying...I deliberately use smaller tips than that which I normally use to lessen the bloat.

Yeah, switching between the CKN70 and the CKM500, the bloated bass becomes really apparent. It's a bit of a shame too because I think the rest of the spectrum is done beautifully. They are still great for bassy music though, so I still love them.

May 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #1,796 of 1,921
Quote:
Okay jarrett, in honor of Robin Gibb (R.I.P) I just finished A/Bing the GR07 and CKM500. As a result, I can only reach one of three conclusions based on your earlier statements:

1. You''re not getting a good seal on the CKM500...

2. You're not listening to the CKM500. Maybe you're listening to the CKM50 or the CK500M (I believe thre is one of those).

3. You're trolling this thread and was trying to start a ruckus.

To the point, the CKM500 is quite a bit more refined than the GR07 - even more so than I initially thought. The notes are thicker, richer and more lush in the the AT than the Vsonic. There is way more micro details in the CKM500 than the GR07. The vocals are fuller and more detailed in the CKM500. And the bass is deeper, fuller with more sub-bass in the CKM500.

The GR07 sound quite thin compared to the sound of the CKM500. Where does the GR07 win? Well, the drums (although less detailed and thinner) sound more natural with great timbre in the GR07. The GR07 has a wider soundstage (not by that much though), but the instrumentation in the mids sounds closer and more jumbled together in the Vosonic than in the AT. But don't get me wrong, the GR07 is still a wonderful sounding and intoxicating IEM, but to my ears the CKM500 does just about everything better, and on a significantly better level (before any substantive burn-in). Oh, the bass of the CKM500 is really so much richer and deeper than the GR07, but very clean and detailed.

GR07 = Ben & Jerry Premium Ice Cream

CKM500 = The finest Italian Pistachio Gelato 

Micro details are sick in the At. That's it.

to my ears the CKM500 does just about everything better, and on a significantly better level

tongue_smile.gif

CKM500 8/10
GR07 9.1/10

Jun 4, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #1,797 of 1,921
Quote:

Wide bore tips helps with the sound and if you have a radio shack close by look into Auveo tips. They sell packages of them. Try other tips you have and see how they fair and I would go from there. But the Auvio tips I highly recommend. Think better Sony Hybrids. Very soft excellent quality.

I looked for Auvio hybrid tips, but they don't sell them at radioshack anymore. They only have silicone ones now, are those good as well? Or should I look for something else instead? If so, what?

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,799 of 1,921
Anything with wider bore than the stock will balance out the sound more so. Take a look at the stock tips the size of the bore. If you guys look at what you own for extras I am certain you guys will find a wider bore tip.

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #1,800 of 1,921
Late to the party but I'll be ordering the ATH-CKM500 right after my A900x and E17 arrive.

Everytime I feel the urge to try a different brand I'm pulled right back to AT.

Damn you DsNuts!

I mean that in good way.
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back