The ATH-CKM500..The best CKM earphone yet.
Jan 9, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #1,726 of 1,921
Quote:
i feel like im owing DS for these great IEMs. Thanks ALOT for the Recommendation man!

its been 3/4 month and im loving these THING!
-the treble are very very DeTAiled!
-u will be able hear the Guiter notes u never heard b4!
-the bass are FAntastic (tight like ds said.)

also, a week b4, i did try gr07 that my frend have.
i did a little comparison and found out that the sound of gr07 is a little flat compared to ckm500. (do note that i only did a quick/little comparison between those iems.)
ckm500 will be with me for a long time and i think my next phones will be customs...

the only thing i dun like about ckm500 is its wire 0.6+0.6
i noe that some people wouldnt be bothered by it but it affects me alot. (which is y im thinking about customs on my next phones)

Yerp, after a few months with these I'm so addicted to the sounds coming from my 500's!!

For me personally I love the bass, it's evil and just loves to show off!! But the mid's and high's are beautifully presented and are not back seat passengers at all!!
L3000.gif

Such a dynamic, lush sound everytime I listen to them!! I'm literally quite humbled by these beautiful IEM's!! 

I think for the money these are the best bang for buck I've spent in 2012 on headphones/IEM's!!
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #1,727 of 1,921
If you guys are ready for the next thing from AT.. I strongly suggest you all look into ATs new CKN50. You guys can read up on my impressions of them here. I did a brief A/B against them and lets just say if you guys are fans of the CKM500 I am very certain these new microhd driver iems will impress even more so.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383-ele-hi-fi-usb-18-dac-pg-328/5805#post_9027188

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #1,728 of 1,921
Quote:
If you guys are ready for the next thing from AT.. I strongly suggest you all look into ATs new CKN50. You guys can read up on my impressions of them here. I did a brief A/B against them and lets just say if you guys are fans of the CKM500 I am very certain these new microhd driver iems will impress even more so.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/586909/the-discovery-thread-new-dannybs-first-take-ath-ckn50-pg383-ele-hi-fi-usb-18-dac-pg-328/5805#post_9027188

J cord unfortunately. :frowning2:

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #1,729 of 1,921
Quote:

Very cool Ds, will check it out!!
L3000.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #1,730 of 1,921
The portable headphones ATH-ES33 and ATH-ES55 can be compared with the ATH-CKM500? I want to buy a portable headphone, but don't want to get a sound much different from the IEM, he sounds perfect to me with the balanced mid and bass and the treble a little more detached. If the ES séries don't have the same quality of the CKM or a much different sound, what portable i can buy in the max price of U$100 that can offer me a similar sound to the CKM500? Thanks!
P.S.: Sorry for my bad english, i'm studying this language still =(

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,731 of 1,921
Well I just put in an order yesterday for one of these.

The ES700 look out for an impression of them on the discovery thread. I have a feeling these will be everything the CKM500 is and more.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #1,732 of 1,921
I went ahead and made a ES700 thread. I hope these are something worth talking about. I usually don't make a thread before I get them but somehow I just can't see how these cans are gonna fail..So if any of you guys have any questions regarding these Hps. Linky here. http://www.head-fi.org/t/645649/the-new-ath-es700 Now back on topic.

How bout them FXZs.

Jan 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #1,734 of 1,921
Quote:
how is the ckm500 compared to a vsonic gr02 bass edition?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

I have the regular gr02 but I haven't heard the bass edition. All I can say is that I dislike the gr02 because I feel like it is good at everything, but excels at nothing. So it's pretty versatile but ultimately a bit boring sounding. I think the CKM500 are better because a) pretty great soundstage for an IEM, b) they are SUPREMELY comfortable (to me anyway) and c) music sounds very fun through these.

The only thing the gr02 wins at is the highs - I wish the CKM500's had a tad more treble, but they can always be eq'd.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #1,737 of 1,921
I love listening to Isis, Tool, Keelhaul and Mastodon on them. And love reggae on them too... Faster and busier genres might fail from the strong bass with a bit of bleed, but I think these do fine for metal.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,738 of 1,921
I just got my pair of ATH-CKN50's to compare to the CKM500's. I've had my CKM500's for several months now so they're fully broken-in, but the sound between the two is very similar. The only major thing I can discern at this point, until the CKN50's have some hours on them, is that they have deeper, tighter bass than the CKM500's -- though slightly less of it. The highs on the CKN50's are crisper (though not harsh or sibilant), but I recall my CKM500's being that way at first too. The big thing for me is that the CKN50's have smaller housings so they're more comfortable to wear. They have the exact same nozzles as the CKM500's so the same sleeves (Complys, etc) will work with either. The only thing I don't like so much about the CKN50's is that they have an asymmetrical cable; after the split, the cable going to the left earpiece is shorter than the one going to the right. (This works OK for me since my Audioengine N22 amp is to my left on my desk, so the cable needs to head that direction anyway.) The cable material is exactly the same between the two earphones, but it's just one long cable for the CKN50's vs. the short-cable-with-detachable-extension like the CKM500's. Also, the CKN50's don't include the nice black storage bag, though they do come with the same assortment of replacement sleeves.

Overall, I'd say you can't go wrong with either earphone. I've listened to a decent number of earphones in different price ranges (Shure e2, SE210, SE425, inexpensive Sony in-ears, etc.) and these AT's are the only headphones of any sort that I've been perfectly happy to listen to without needing to use EQ. Set your source to flat and enjoy. Right now I'd have to give the edge to the CKM500's for sound quality (just barely), but the CKN50's for comfort. It's just reassuring that what I'm hearing from these two appears to be AT's "house sound" so the CKM500's aren't an anomaly in their earphone lineup. If they keep it up, I'll be buying more AT's in the future.

Also of note is that Audio-Technica US has just picked up the CKM500i for distribution. They have an MSRP of $99 but should go for less in stores. I remember paying about $70 for my CKM500's (non-smartphone version) when I imported them from Japan, so I'm going to guess we could see the CKM500i go for about $80 here.

Jan 26, 2013 at 3:44 AM Post #1,740 of 1,921
thanks for the review drwebster, Im still waiting for my ckn50 to arrive from japan. I had the ckm50a than the ckm55 (RMA 'd the ck50a and got the ckm55 in return), even though the ckm55 didnt get great reviews, i still like them. I know I will be happy with the ckn50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back