The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 12, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #8,866 of 9,131
Hi guys,

i have a ak240SS (warranty has expired) that is not able to boot up and nothing is happening either when charging either through the computer or wall outlet. Prior to that, i have not touched my AK240SS for a few weeks. Anyone has encountered any such issues? (is this due to the battery or the board itself and what is the price for repair usually on such things)

I have emailed both the company who sold me the Ak240SS and also iriver (2 days ago) but no one has responded thus far. Does anyone know of any contact/representative email that i can contact for such an enquiry?

Thank you!
Hi @klaha81 , try to PM here - https://www.facebook.com/pg/astellnkern/posts/?ref=page_internal . I wish ur unit will be taken care of. All the best...

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #8,867 of 9,131
Are these still a good buy used?

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #8,868 of 9,131
Are these still a good buy used?

Depends on the price. For under a thousand, if in good condition, I’d say so. Great sounding player.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #8,869 of 9,131
Depends on the price. For under a thousand, if in good condition, I’d say so. Great sounding player.
Better than the newer ak70ii or Norma?

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #8,870 of 9,131
Better than the newer ak70ii or Norma?

AK70II, definitely. Not familiar with the newest models to have an opinion. The 240 is a dual DAC design with native DSD support. I’m especially fond of the chassis design.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #8,873 of 9,131
Anybody try one of the new 512GB Microsd cards yet?

i did, have latest firmware, samsung evo plus, and it does not work, keeps coming up "damaged card"

have tried to format using the ak240 and still no go

works fine in a sony z1a

I have not tried the 512, but I have the 400 and I get that all the time if I transfer files using my Windows system.

Take the card out of the AK, mount it on your computer (I'm assumeing Windows here), open Computer, right click on the drive, go to "Properties", then the "Tools" tab, click the "Check now..." button under "Error-checking". Let it finish, eject the card, try in the AK again.

This usually fixes it for me. For whatever reason, Windows does not eject the drive clean and it freaks out my AK. Does not happen if I us Ubuntu. Annoying as hell.

Hope that helps. Let us know.

In theory, any device that can handle a 32GB SD card can handle a 2TB SD card which is the max capacity of the SD standard. In theory.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #8,874 of 9,131
I have not tried the 512, but I have the 400 and I get that all the time if I transfer files using my Windows system.

i have the 400GB and never had that issue :)

what's really weird is after formatting it in the ak240 and copying a bunch of files just to test, after it kept coming up "damaged", I took it out and stuck in windows box and it was formatted as FAT32

meanwhile the 400GB (sandisk) is exfat and works fine

thanks for the reply!

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #8,875 of 9,131

Take the card out of the AK, mount it on your computer (I'm assumeing Windows here), open Computer, right click on the drive, go to "Properties", then the "Tools" tab, click the "Check now..." button under "Error-checking". Let it finish, eject the card, try in the AK again.

This usually fixes it for me. For whatever reason, Windows does not eject the drive clean and it freaks out my AK. Does not happen if I us Ubuntu. Annoying as hell.

Hope that helps. Let us know.

In theory, any device that can handle a 32GB SD card can handle a 2TB SD card which is the max capacity of the SD standard. In theory.
i have the 400GB and never had that issue :)

what's really weird is after formatting it in the ak240 and copying a bunch of files just to test, after it kept coming up "damaged", I took it out and stuck in windows box and it was formatted as FAT32

meanwhile the 400GB (sandisk) is exfat and works fine

thanks for the reply!

Nov 22, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #8,876 of 9,131
I also have the 400 GB card and had no issues with my SP1000. Noticed Amazon just listed the 512 card, where did you get your card from so quickly?

Copying files on these cards takes 4-ever though! Good luck.

Nov 22, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #8,877 of 9,131
I also have the 400 GB card and had no issues with my SP1000. Noticed Amazon just listed the 512 card, where did you get your card from so quickly?

Copying files on these cards takes 4-ever though! Good luck.

bought 2, turned out 2 be about 138 ea on ebay...they were samsung evo plus...and yes, slow as balls when trying to move 400gb to the 512gb

UPDATE: do not buy any samsung branded 512gb microsd cards on ebay, they are counterfeit, this is why they didn't work in the a&k240

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #8,879 of 9,131
Dear Guys,

Thanks first of all for all your posts and topics, i am more the reader the the writer (Like most people).

I own an AK240 since about 2 years, still very happy with that (Playing in my mind to get a SP1000M, but thats another story). I am using an 400gb SanDisk SD Card and experience several times an issue (had the same issue earlier with 200GB SDCards as well). looks and sounds like following:

1. i format the SDCard to FAT32
2. i transfer the Music in formats like flac, dsd, wav)
3. I transfer that in folders using "Album Artist" - "Album Name" - "Music Files + folder.jpg"
4. AK Reads the Card (takes long time, but works most time)

Problem 1: sometimes when i put the card with new files first time, reading process stucks with screen black - only power button 12sec - resets helps.....
Problem 2: While listening to music the music stucks, sounds like "CD hang" + "Black Screen" - only power button 12sec - resets helps.....

Both Problems are not reproducable and appear without recognizable pattern. Problem Nr2. bothers me the most, as it takes always long time to transfer the files.

P.S.: Resetting Database does not necesseraly help....

Does anyone experience the same and have anyone a clue whats going on there?

Could not find anything via search function, sorry if this has been posted already.

Greets
Andy

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #8,880 of 9,131
1. i format the SDCard to FAT32
2. i transfer the Music in formats like flac, dsd, wav)
3. I transfer that in folders using "Album Artist" - "Album Name" - "Music Files + folder.jpg"
4. AK Reads the Card (takes long time, but works most time)

no, haven't had that issue, just recently upgraded from sandisk 400 to kingston 512 ...never used fat32 only exfat (allows for >4gb files)
the AK240 as device (plugged in) is pretty slow, it's faster to pull the card and stick in sdcard reader

i have had (numerous times) that card "not recognized" when put back in and the device turned on, usually rebooting a second time gets that card going

Users who are viewing this thread

Back