The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 10, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #8,853 of 9,131
Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #8,854 of 9,131
Sep 27, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #8,855 of 9,131
I just had one of the most frightening experiences ever, with my 240. It's been very hot here, on the east coast. I was streaming Dream Theatre's 'The Astonishing' from Tidal (34 tracks) and after an hour or so, the 240 shutdown. When I touched the player, it was uncomfortably hot. I put it aside, for awhile and when I came back, the player was literally, too hot to hold. The heat was so intense that the the carbon fiber, started to lift from the back of the player. Panic mode set in and all I saw were $ signs, for a huge repair bill. I thought maybe the battery failed/expanded and that caused the back plate to separate. Since I felt, I could do no additional harm, I put it in the refrigerator for about a half hour. When I checked it, the temperature had dropped significantly but it still wouldn't power up. I plugged it in and I got the charge indicator and then was able to power it up. I figured the 240 and me both, had enough excitement for the night so, I didn't continue charging (I'll do that tomorrow). I don't know if it was, the 240's age (2014 early production model), the heat or it just doesn't like Dream Theatre but at least, so far, a happy ending.

Well, I have my 240 back again. It took about 6 weeks, whereas the original estimate was 2 to 3 weeks. The delay was due to, an unplanned trip, back to Korea. iRiver was very concerned about the near catastrophic failure and wisely decided to send it back to the factory. While there, inaddtion to the battery failure, they diagnosed the volume encoder needed to be replaced. I guess they blamed the battery failure but as most of us know, the volume control has always been flaky. It's much tighter and so far, completely accurate, which it never was before. Total out of pocket was $90 for the battery replacement and they paid for shipping back to me. Overall, kudos to iRiver. The service rep, Andrew was very patient with me, when things dragged on a bit too long. A big plus is that, the music on the internal drive survived.

What I learned from the experience is, never ever trust a Lithium Ion battery, in anything, once it starts acting peculiar. I don't know how close I came to irreparable damage to the 240 or to me but I dodged the bullet. Thermal Runaway is not a friend.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #8,856 of 9,131
Well, I have my 240 back again. It took about 6 weeks, whereas the original estimate was 2 to 3 weeks. The delay was due to, an unplanned trip, back to Korea. iRiver was very concerned about the near catastrophic failure and wisely decided to send it back to the factory. While there, inaddtion to the battery failure, they diagnosed the volume encoder needed to be replaced. I guess they blamed the battery failure but as most of us know, the volume control has always been flaky. It's much tighter and so far, completely accurate, which it never was before. Total out of pocket was $90 for the battery replacement and they paid for shipping back to me. Overall, kudos to iRiver. The service rep, Andrew was very patient with me, when things dragged on a bit too long. A big plus is that, the music on the internal drive survived.

What I learned from the experience is, never ever trust a Lithium Ion battery, in anything, once it starts acting peculiar. I don't know how close I came to irreparable damage to the 240 or to me but I dodged the bullet. Thermal Runaway is not a friend.

I’m happy for you that everything turned out right. Did they also replace the plastic back? Regarding the volume control, yes, this has been a known issue since the 240 first shipped. I purchased one of the first units brought in to the US, and within a month the volume control was skittish. iriver replaced it for me and the second one was fine up till I sold it to buy an SS. My SS has the volume control issue intermittently, but when it occurs I rotate the wheel quickly several times while blowing into it, and that generally takes care of the issue for a time being. I thought possibly dust was getting into the optical encoder used for volume creating the jumpy behavior, but now it looks like this part will fail at some point based on iriver replacing yours. Good to know that this may be done for others at no charge as well.

Enjoy the return of your 240!

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #8,857 of 9,131
I’m happy for you that everything turned out right. Did they also replace the plastic back? Regarding the volume control, yes, this has been a known issue since the 240 first shipped. I purchased one of the first units brought in to the US, and within a month the volume control was skittish. iriver replaced it for me and the second one was fine up till I sold it to buy an SS. My SS has the volume control issue intermittently, but when it occurs I rotate the wheel quickly several times while blowing into it, and that generally takes care of the issue for a time being. I thought possibly dust was getting into the optical encoder used for volume creating the jumpy behavior, but now it looks like this part will fail at some point based on iriver replacing yours. Good to know that this may be done for others at no charge as well.

Enjoy the return of your 240!

After the first overheating and cooling, the back panel popped back into place. After the second and at the time I shipped it to iRiver, the back panel was bulging out but didn't seem permanently deformed so, I assume it was OK. It also wasn't listed on the invoice. As for the Volume Encoder, I'm more inclined to believe, iRiver thought it was related to the extreme heat the internals were subjected to so, I wouldn't want to bet money on getting it fixed for free, if out of warranty. I think I just lucked out. YMMV

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #8,859 of 9,131
Hello, every one, i just buy used for 800 is that good deal? No original box, inclde 2 case, and a dock.
If the condition is good and not too old, it's a decent deal. I did sell my Blue Note AK240 for around $950 though. It was in great condition.

Oct 6, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #8,860 of 9,131

Attachments

• 240_-_4.JPG
    240_-_4.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #8,861 of 9,131
Hi guys,

i have a ak240SS (warranty has expired) that is not able to boot up and nothing is happening either when charging either through the computer or wall outlet. Prior to that, i have not touched my AK240SS for a few weeks. Anyone has encountered any such issues? (is this due to the battery or the board itself and what is the price for repair usually on such things)

I have emailed both the company who sold me the Ak240SS and also iriver (2 days ago) but no one has responded thus far. Does anyone know of any contact/representative email that i can contact for such an enquiry?

Thank you!

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #8,862 of 9,131
Hi guys,

i have a ak240SS (warranty has expired) that is not able to boot up and nothing is happening either when charging either through the computer or wall outlet. Prior to that, i have not touched my AK240SS for a few weeks. Anyone has encountered any such issues? (is this due to the battery or the board itself and what is the price for repair usually on such things)

I have emailed both the company who sold me the Ak240SS and also iriver (2 days ago) but no one has responded thus far. Does anyone know of any contact/representative email that i can contact for such an enquiry?

Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The first thing to do is try a different USB cable, especially if you’re not using the original. You can try a hard reset by holding the power button down for around 20 seconds to see if it boots up. If neither of these work, keep trying iriver—they will repair a 240SS. As to the cost, not known until iriver checks it out.

Good luck.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #8,863 of 9,131
Sorry to hear about your troubles. The first thing to do is try a different USB cable, especially if you’re not using the original. You can try a hard reset by holding the power button down for around 20 seconds to see if it boots up. If neither of these work, keep trying iriver—they will repair a 240SS. As to the cost, not known until iriver checks it out.

Good luck.

Yup i have tried using various working USB cables as well applying the hard reset method.

Oct 9, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #8,864 of 9,131
Yup i have tried using various working USB cables as well applying the hard reset method.

Please keeps us posted on how your repair goes. I have an SS as well; so far, no problems, but it is over three years old, and I imagine it will require service at some point in its lifetime.

Oct 9, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #8,865 of 9,131
Hi guys,

Thank you!

I'm not sure what iRiver email address you're using but the one I've received next day replies from is support.inc@iriver.com. I recently received my 240 back from repair and the support is topnotch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back