The Astell & Kern AK240
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #8,821 of 9,131
You have me worried. If time is running on and if this is a typical end of life pattern, we all have a frightening experience to look forward to. Up to now, my AK240 only gets warm when playing higher-density files, and never alarmingly hot.

Like I said, mine may be a fluke but I'm definitely not going to try to charge it again. Just as an update, after it cooled down, it powered up again, like normal. The interesting thing is the battery remained at 50% so, trying to charge it, just PO'd the battery. Given that, it's not as dire as I thought but still no less of a catastrophic failure waiting to happen.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #8,822 of 9,131
I'm starting to think the 240 has reached EOL (End of Life) and I think the battery is the suspect. Early this morning I turned it on and all was well. I even did a settings reset, just for good measure. It played music and acted completely normal. I decided to charge the battery, which was about 50% and checked it occasionally. Eventually the 240 became unresponsive, when I pressed the power button, to check the charging progress and I noticed the heat was beginning to build again. I unplugged it and the heat continued to build to the point, I couldn't touch it or hold it and the heat continued to ramp up. It's now at the point where I don't fear for it but I'm in fear of it. We've all heard the stories of Lithium Ion batteries catching on fire and the heat is reaching that point. I have no idea what damage is being done internally. I purchased it on 3/11/14, directly from Astell&Kern and I guess I'm one of the early adopters so, I hope my problem is unique and not a built-in flaw. I going to reach out to Jimmy Moon (if he still works there) and see what his opinion is. I hope I don't have a $2500 brick.

How long did you have the 240 in the fridge? I’m wondering if condensation may have occurred internally. I’m not sure I would report that story to iriver. Anyway, I’m sure they can replace the battery with a new one, something all us 240 lovers will have to do at some point. Please keep us posted on your experience ...

I’m really sorry you’re going through this @chawya22, and I hope the fix is easy and inexpensive. I know when one of my toys stops working I feel kind of sick about it.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #8,823 of 9,131
You have me worried. If time is running on and if this is a typical end of life pattern, we all have a frightening experience to look forward to. Up to now, my AK240 only gets warm when playing higher-density files, and never alarmingly hot.

I’ve had occasions where my 240 has gotten very hot to the touch, but again, primarily with DSD files, or 24/192 files played for a long time. There never was any consequences to this happening, so perhaps I’ve been lucky. Additionally, I don’t use the case, not because of the potential for greater heat (although there is), but because I love the form factor of the 240; there is a tactile pleasure that comes from handling it without.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #8,824 of 9,131
How long did you have the 240 in the fridge? I’m wondering if condensation may have occurred internally. I’m not sure I would report that story to iriver. Anyway, I’m sure they can replace the battery with a new one, something all us 240 lovers will have to do at some point. Please keep us posted on your experience ...

I’m really sorry you’re going through this @chawya22, and I hope the fix is easy and inexpensive. I know when one of my toys stops working I feel kind of sick about it.

There was no condensation at all and IMHO, it wouldn't be any different, than taking it outside on a winter day. It's so far out of warranty, I'm not concerned.

Aug 11, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #8,825 of 9,131
There was no condensation at all and IMHO, it wouldn't be any different, than taking it outside on a winter day. It's so far out of warranty, I'm not concerned.

OK, best of luck to you.

Aug 13, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #8,828 of 9,131
Just picked up an AK240 based on the positive reviews of owners.
I've previously owned a Sony ZX-2 and an Onkyo DP-X1A.
Both were able to download files from Tidal but I have yet to figure out how to do this with the AK240.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks!

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #8,829 of 9,131
Just picked up an AK240 based on the positive reviews of owners.
I've previously owned a Sony ZX-2 and an Onkyo DP-X1A.
Both were able to download files from Tidal but I have yet to figure out how to do this with the AK240.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks!

Tidal is accessed from the Store tab. Currently there is no offline download for the Tidal app in all AK devices.

Aug 13, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #8,831 of 9,131
I sent the email and it didn't bounce back so, I guess he's still around. Keeping my fingers crossed! BTW, I didn't mention the fridge, it's best to keep it simple. Thanks

Since it seems that I'm Battery Failure #1 in this thread, here is the lowdown. iRiver/Astell&Kern got back to me. Jimmy Moon is no longer with the company so the reply was just from Technical Support. I'm going to just paste part of the email, rather than try to reword it. Just for clarity, the back panel is not damaged (the edge popped in, once it cooled) so, their offer won't be needed. One huge concern is, whatever else might have died, because of the battery failure(?), might be my responsibility. Here is the excerpt:

Mr. Jimmy Moon is no longer with IRIVER/Astell&Kern, however, please rest assured, we are certainly here to support your technical services need.

Based on your description, it is a severe situation, as we would need to proceed with immediate replacement for the aging AK240 Battery, and damaged back penal.

The estimated service fee is $90.00 to complete the battery replacement service and $80.00 for the back penal. However, since the damage of the penal was due to defective battery, we will offer complimentary back penal replacement service.

Please note: the estimated figure on battery service is not final; as it was determined based user’s feedback. Depending on the overall services that are necessary once the DAP has been fully serviced, such as internal hardware, electrical wiring, and etc… the customer is responsible for the final amount that might be different from the original quote. As the final amount will reflect the actual repairment that is essential for a functional unit.

I guess as a final note, I hope my failure is unique and doesn't represent the normal passing of the battery. I'll update as the repair process, progresses.

Aug 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #8,832 of 9,131
Since it seems that I'm Battery Failure #1 in this thread, here is the lowdown. iRiver/Astell&Kern got back to me. Jimmy Moon is no longer with the company so the reply was just from Technical Support. I'm going to just paste part of the email, rather than try to reword it. Just for clarity, the back panel is not damaged (the edge popped in, once it cooled) so, their offer won't be needed. One huge concern is, whatever else might have died, because of the battery failure(?), might be my responsibility. Here is the excerpt:

Mr. Jimmy Moon is no longer with IRIVER/Astell&Kern, however, please rest assured, we are certainly here to support your technical services need.

Based on your description, it is a severe situation, as we would need to proceed with immediate replacement for the aging AK240 Battery, and damaged back penal.

The estimated service fee is $90.00 to complete the battery replacement service and $80.00 for the back penal. However, since the damage of the penal was due to defective battery, we will offer complimentary back penal replacement service.

Please note: the estimated figure on battery service is not final; as it was determined based user’s feedback. Depending on the overall services that are necessary once the DAP has been fully serviced, such as internal hardware, electrical wiring, and etc… the customer is responsible for the final amount that might be different from the original quote. As the final amount will reflect the actual repairment that is essential for a functional unit.

I guess as a final note, I hope my failure is unique and doesn't represent the normal passing of the battery. I'll update as the repair process, progresses.

Seems reasonable even generous if it’s way out of warranty.

Aug 13, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #8,834 of 9,131

A&K are correct, this is serious and I’d deal with it right away. Anytime a battery swells you are risking fire with lithium batteries. Don’t try anymore to charge it or use it and I’d recommend keeping it in a ceramic pot away from flammables until you can have it repaired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back