The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 4, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #8,611 of 9,131
  I've been hanging around the headphones forums for a few years, but I'm a noob in this forum.  

I'm not very good with computers, so most of my sources are analog, but I figured that I'd give this a try, so I just bought an AK300,

So far I've ripped all of my CDs and SACD using music bee, now I have to figure out how to transfer it to my AK300.

By the way this thing is as heavy as granite!, it really as quality feel to it, alright it's back to reading posts for me.

How do you like your ak300 with your grado's? Good synergy?

Mar 4, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #8,612 of 9,131
I've been definitely using Head-Fi as a resource and appreciate your input.
One of the nice things I already appreciate about the 240 is it's onboard storage plus msd storage. I currently own an opus 1 which I've had since its release and it's a fine player but I'm looking for an "upgrade in sound" but also can't spare a downgrade in storage. I currently have a 256gb card @ about 90℅ capacity and a 200gb card at close to 98%... So a one micro SD card player with limited storage is not feasiblee which unfortunately also limits my options at this point.

Well, the AK240 does allow for storage expansion of up to a total of 512 GB at this point. So yeah, it definitely fits your criteria for a great sounding player, with loads of storage space.

A good alternative is the FiiO X5iii with 2 micro SD slots. Its price is definitely cheaper, but offers equivalent sound quality.

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #8,613 of 9,131
Damn, just saw the Blue Note Edition for 2000.00... So close to purchasing, trying to figure out a justification for wifee.

Mar 4, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #8,614 of 9,131
Amazon has the Stainless Steel for the same price, I'd go for that.

Looking at the Fiio X5iii thread, it's the same old same old.  While I like Fiio as a company, it releases devices and then spends a year or more futzing with firmware and apps and amps (or more, see the X7 thread).  If you want a device that streams Tidal and the like, then probably a newer device is the way to go.  But if you want a mature device with a rock-solid firmware/UI that just plays music (though I think the 240 will do a bit of streaming now) I'd choose an AK like the 240.  Great sound, great build, great UI, no birth pains.  

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #8,615 of 9,131
  Amazon has the Stainless Steel for the same price, I'd go for that.

Looking at the Fiio X5iii thread, it's the same old same old.  While I like Fiio as a company, it releases devices and then spends a year or more futzing with firmware and apps and amps (or more, see the X7 thread).  If you want a device that streams Tidal and the like, then probably a newer device is the way to go.  But if you want a mature device with a rock-solid firmware/UI that just plays music (though I think the 240 will do a bit of streaming now) I'd choose an AK like the 240.  Great sound, great build, great UI, no birth pains.  

Yes, in a way, I'd agree. The AK240 has long gotten over any initial road bumps; it is very much stable at this juncture.

The X5iii on the other hand, should have a few bugs in it, one of which I've already discovered. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want to take anything else away from the FiiO - it is a well-made device, with good sound and build, for a reasonable price.

Nevertheless, this is the AK240 thread, and I'm still a mighty big fan of it. It has a lot of things going for it still, despite its age.

Mar 4, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #8,616 of 9,131
I liked my X5, even with all the firmware changes.  But I watch the X7 thread and OMG.  The X5iii thread isn't as bad as the X7 thread, but I like having a device that is already "there."

Mar 5, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #8,617 of 9,131
  I liked my X5, even with all the firmware changes.  But I watch the X7 thread and OMG.  The X5iii thread isn't as bad as the X7 thread, but I like having a device that is already "there."

Yeah, I agree. I'm not usually a fan of first batch gadgets myself. They are usually buggy; for the privilege of using the device first, you'll have to pay it forward with some manner of debugging and troubleshooting. Still, I consider myself lucky to be part of the X5iii's global review team. It is a good DAP, and proves that you don't need to fork out a 4-digit sum to obtain great sound from a portable device.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #8,618 of 9,131
Audibly, how does the X5iii compare to the ak240? I'm curios

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #8,619 of 9,131
Audibly, how does the X5iii compare to the ak240? I'm curios

The X5iii is slightly warmer than the AK240, with a noticeably heavier low-end. This isn't surprising, since the AK240 tends to be a little lean in the bass. Bass on the X5iii has quite a bit of rumble, and has good layering and texture. In terms of quality, the AK240 is no slouch in the bass department, too, but the X5iii simply shows up to the table with more impactful lows.

The FiiO is less energetic in the highs, though, with a little less sparkle and extension than the AK240. The highs are somewhat smoother, and a tad muted on the X5iii. Vocals on the AK are a little more intimate and lush than on the X5iii.

Amazingly, I found the X5iii having a slightly wider and deeper soundstage, with imaging on par with the AK240.

A pretty good DAP, actually.

Mar 10, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #8,620 of 9,131
I have the iriver remote. Does someone know how to reset it to use with a different dap? 

Mar 15, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #8,621 of 9,131
Any Mac users here also totally frustrated with Android File Transfer and AK's software? Im returning my player today and I hope they'll fix this some time, after which I may switch back.

I can transfer between 6 and 18 tracks before it hangs and dies, requiring disconnect/reconnect or even a reboot. At more than 6k tracks, I couldn't take it anymore.

I have gone so far as to build my own software, and lo and behold its an issue with AK and not MTP and Macs.

If you're a Mac user, please take a look at this thread where Im trying to drum up support for getting them to fix their stack.

Please, no PC vs Mac trolling or "Discussion"

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #8,622 of 9,131
Yes I feel your frustration.  That how it is with all the AK players.  And no it will never be fixed.  That is just how things are when you transfer music using a mac to their players.  It is really my only complaint about my AK240.  The only way I have learned to live with it is I finally after probably two weeks of trying filled up the 256GB on the player and now I only transfer music to the microSD slot by pulling the card out and plugging it into my computer.  I will never ever under any circumstance transfer a single song to the internal memory of the AK240 again.  If I tried to do that, I would probably end up throwing the player out the window.  Your only option is to spend countless hours transferring songs to the internal memory that you never intend to take off and then go buy a 200 or 256GB microSD card and use that from now on.  Either that, or use a windows PC to transfer the songs.  I almost did that, but I finally managed to fill up the internal memory.  After that happened, I am happy with the device and trashed that worthless Android File Transfer program from my mac and it is banned from ever being installed on my mac again.  

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #8,623 of 9,131
  Yes I feel your frustration.  That how it is with all the AK players.  And no it will never be fixed.  That is just how things are when you transfer music using a mac to their players.  It is really my only complaint about my AK240.  The only way I have learned to live with it is I finally after probably two weeks of trying filled up the 256GB on the player and now I only transfer music to the microSD slot by pulling the card out and plugging it into my computer.  I will never ever under any circumstance transfer a single song to the internal memory of the AK240 again.  If I tried to do that, I would probably end up throwing the player out the window.  Your only option is to spend countless hours transferring songs to the internal memory that you never intend to take off and then go buy a 200 or 256GB microSD card and use that from now on.  Either that, or use a windows PC to transfer the songs.  I almost did that, but I finally managed to fill up the internal memory.  After that happened, I am happy with the device and trashed that worthless Android File Transfer program from my mac and it is banned from ever being installed on my mac again.  

I think if we get enough people to start complaining to them they may take notice. My link has a test app they can use to test their software. Its fine if you filled your internal memory until you upgrade (as I did)...

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #8,624 of 9,131
  Any Mac users here also totally frustrated with Android File Transfer and AK's software? Im returning my player today and I hope they'll fix this some time, after which I may switch back.

I can transfer between 6 and 18 tracks before it hangs and dies, requiring disconnect/reconnect or even a reboot. At more than 6k tracks, I couldn't take it anymore.

I have gone so far as to build my own software, and lo and behold its an issue with AK and not MTP and Macs.

If you're a Mac user, please take a look at this thread where Im trying to drum up support for getting them to fix their stack.

Please, no PC vs Mac trolling or "Discussion"

After years of frustration, I figured it was worth it for me to lighten my wallet a bit and I switched from the free AFT to the paid Commander One Pro app. Occasionally, I still run into the odd file that wants to be difficult but most of the time, transfers are headache free. If you follow the link and look at the top of the page, there is a 50% off cross grade option, if you own certain similar licensed apps. 

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #8,625 of 9,131
Hate to say it but I have no "real" problems with it.  I can transfer folders with no issue to the player from my iMac.  Are you folks trying to move many many folders at one time?  Don't.  Just pull over one or a few at a time.  I've got maybe 125gb on my internal and 120gb on my 200gb card.  I pulled about six-eight folders at a time over when I bought my 240SS with no issues.  It barfed when I tried to move the entire Music folder, so I just worked my way through all of them.  Took about 3-4 hours for 125gb.  I have no issues with my card plugged into the device for normal transfers.  I did use a card reader when I migrated over to the 240SS from my 120ll.  

If you have issues try a couple of things.  Restart the Mac.  Make sure you are using the supplied AK USB cord.  Organize your stuff so it goes in smoothly.  Mine is in folders by Artist with individual albums nested inside them.  

I do get the occasional barf, but unplugging and replugging the AK is all I have to do.  I can transfer an album of FLAC (700mb) in a couple of minutes.  A two gb hi-res folder might take a bit more than four minutes.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back