The Astell & Kern AK240
Feb 25, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #8,598 of 9,131
"I bought my toy a new set of clothes, a Dignis/Borsa DAP bag"

"Oh, and I bought the Earphone Pouch Dignes sells, holds the 240SS and both pairs of iems plus tips and still has a space left over."

​I type that name into Google and the top two hits are it.  One is Korean language and one is English language.  

Feb 25, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #8,599 of 9,131
AK240 on Massdrop for:

Order Details

1. Quantity1
  2. Options$900.00
  3. Subtotal$1,599.99
  4. Shipping$7.75
  5. Tax (7.50%)
    $120.58

Total (USD)
$1,728.32
The "options" means price for the 240 instead of the AK100ii.
Worth it??? Opinion guys. TIA

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #8,601 of 9,131
There're a couple on here in the For Sale threads for 1200-1400 used.  And Amazon has one for 1900 new right now.  Massdrop can take quite some time to close and then deliver.  

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #8,602 of 9,131

IMO, absolutely worth it.

There're a couple on here in the For Sale threads for 1200-1400 used.  And Amazon has one for 1900 new right now.  Massdrop can take quite some time to close and then deliver.  

Prefer to go new, and the cheapest I've seen (new) on Amazon is 2200.00. Although I do realize Massdrop can take weeks from past purchases. I have a week to decide...

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #8,604 of 9,131
I've been hanging around the headphones forums for a few years, but I'm a noob in this forum.  

I'm not very good with computers, so most of my sources are analog, but I figured that I'd give this a try, so I just bought an AK300,

So far I've ripped all of my CDs and SACD using music bee, now I have to figure out how to transfer it to my AK300.

By the way this thing is as heavy as granite!, it really as quality feel to it, alright it's back to reading posts for me.

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #8,605 of 9,131
  AK240 on Massdrop for:

Order Details

1. Quantity1
  2. Options$900.00
  3. Subtotal$1,599.99
  4. Shipping$7.75
  5. Tax (7.50%)
    $120.58

Total (USD)
$1,728.32
The "options" means price for the 240 instead of the AK100ii.
Worth it??? Opinion guys. TIA

Well, it's a solid deal if the AK240 is what you want.

However, if you have the cash, and you are looking for a top class DAP, you could always shop around for some really good options in that price range (including this discounted AK240).

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #8,606 of 9,131
Well, it's a solid deal if the AK240 is what you want.

However, if you have the cash, and you are looking for a top class DAP, you could always shop around for some really good options in that price range (including this discounted AK240).

I haven't seen very many DAPs at this price range and am willing to purchase this DAP but what concerns me most is that this DAP is about 3 years old and some upcoming players like the Fiio5iii have similar specs as the AK380 and seemingly have a nice build quality as well for a fraction of the cost.
Long story short. I'm willing to pay but like everyone else want the best bang for my buck.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #8,607 of 9,131
AK UI and sound is top-notch.  Fiio firmware is constantly being updated and I wasn't thrilled with my 5's UI  It was ok.  And specs do not tell the story, your ears do.  There are lots of DAPs at lots of prices.  Get what your heart tells you to get.  No one here can know what it is you really want.  I've had iBasso  and Fiio and Pono and now two AKs and have to say I loved both of the AKs more than anything else.  But that's me.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #8,608 of 9,131
  AK UI and sound is top-notch.  Fiio firmware is constantly being updated and I wasn't thrilled with my 5's UI  It was ok.  And specs do not tell the story, your ears do.  There are lots of DAPs at lots of prices.  Get what your heart tells you to get.  No one here can know what it is you really want.  I've had iBasso  and Fiio and Pono and now two AKs and have to say I loved both of the AKs more than anything else.  But that's me.  

Good info olddude, thanks!

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #8,609 of 9,131
I haven't seen very many DAPs at this price range and am willing to purchase this DAP but what concerns me most is that this DAP is about 3 years old and some upcoming players like the Fiio5iii have similar specs as the AK380 and seemingly have a nice build quality as well for a fraction of the cost.
Long story short. I'm willing to pay but like everyone else want the best bang for my buck.

Well, even though the AK240 is a little mature now, it's still one of the best DAPs on the market, IMO. Of course, with so many available choices, it can be overwhelming, especially when you're in the realm of 4-digit $ options. Still, you can't really go wrong with the AK240. With that said, there are other DAPs on the market that are cheaper, and offer comparable SQ. You could always have a look around - Head-Fi is an excellent resource for these things.

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #8,610 of 9,131
Well, even though the AK240 is a little mature now, it's still one of the best DAPs on the market, IMO. Of course, with so many available choices, it can be overwhelming, especially when you're in the realm of 4-digit $ options. Still, you can't really go wrong with the AK240. With that said, there are other DAPs on the market that are cheaper, and offer comparable SQ. You could always have a look around - Head-Fi is an excellent resource for these things.

I've been definitely using Head-Fi as a resource and appreciate your input.
One of the nice things I already appreciate about the 240 is it's onboard storage plus msd storage. I currently own an opus 1 which I've had since its release and it's a fine player but I'm looking for an "upgrade in sound" but also can't spare a downgrade in storage. I currently have a 256gb card @ about 90℅ capacity and a 200gb card at close to 98%... So a one micro SD card player with limited storage is not feasiblee which unfortunately also limits my options at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back