The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 21, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #8,011 of 9,131

I am currently thinking about RedWine-modding my AK 240. I have recently learnt from Vinnie's homepage that enabled Wifi causes serious issues. As I am using Wifi quite frequently I wonder how serious these issues are.

It would be great if anyone of you guys could help on that topic. BTW: Is the difference between the AK 240 and the RW AK 240 really that great? 

Realizing that no one replied with any feedback or info for you.  

First question:  wifi interference after the RWAK240 upgrade?  Yes, I've noticed it.  I don't tend to play the unit with wifi on so it's not a huge deal for me.  I learned of the occasional interference through accidentally leaving wifi on after a firmware upgrade.  Obviously I don't have any experience of using the AK240 with wifi prior to the RWAK upgrade, so I can't offer any before/after.  I just remember noticing the interference once after the RWAK came back to me.

Second question:  really that great? To my ears, yes, it's worth the cash. More meat and depth in the bass, a little more extension and separation in the highs.  It also compounds when you scale up:  I recently ran the balanced line-out from my RWAK to the balanced line-in for my International to add a little more beef for my CTMs while traveling. After buying the AK originally I didn't think I'd have much use for my International because the extra power didn't seem to be adding anything, but pairing it with the RWAK makes for a killer little CIEM stack that enables me to power easily through flight and airport noise without maxing the RWAK's smallish amp section.  And, using the RWAK as a DAC also scales better than the stock AK.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #8,012 of 9,131
Hi hope your all well. My astell & kerns balanced port seems to be damaged. Note have to pretty much hold the connected in for the left ear piece to work have also tried a different cable but the issue still remains.

Unit is also outside of the warranty period. Does anyone know any places I can get this repaired in the UK and what kind of cost I'm looking at

Thanks in advance

Note sent it off for repair sub pcb was replaced

Dec 22, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #8,013 of 9,131
Dec 25, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #8,017 of 9,131

A couple of wonderful pics with my RWAK240 being the transport for my GMB/Mjo2 stack. I don't connect them often but I had to for the convenience of my review. As for the sound, I like the Orange Globes more for the X but the LISST isn't too bad at all. 

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #8,020 of 9,131
File size 155MB.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #8,021 of 9,131
  I can recommend Ted Allen owner of the Headphone Lounge.  See the thread about his products on H.F.  I have 4 different type cables he made or worked on and am happy.

I agree with this recommendation. I have an AK240  balanced cable from Ted which I use with my Nobles and the cable is great.   Very happy.

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #8,023 of 9,131
Seems bottom part missing.  Any purported changes to the sound?  I'm still running 1.15........scared to update lol.

The bottom part is just a further list of previous FW you can find in this thread. I haven't had a listen yet.

Dec 31, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #8,025 of 9,131
I've found it a bit frustrating how lacking AK documentation is.  If up to date documentation exists, I've not been able to find it.

What is the icon underneath the gapless icon?  The open circle with the upward arrow?

This is not shown in any user guides I have found.

Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back