The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 21, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,036 of 9,131
I did I just sold it. I use a the hibino hdpr10. Now that takes longer to boot up. The ak120 was very fast. But I do remember whe I changed cards it took longer the first time.

But either way it's not very long and I would not consider memory a deciding factor.

Al

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,037 of 9,131
I did I just sold it. I use a the hibino hdpr10. Now that takes longer to boot up. The ak120 was very fast. But I do remember whe I changed cards it took longer the first time.

But either way it's not very long and I would not consider memory a deciding factor.

Al

Good for you................

Anyone else want to assume such as being a blanket argument. The player can literally be the best sounding thing on the planet but if there's no storage (or worse it's faulty corrupting storage) than it wouldn't matter because no music could ever grace such a device.

Storage has always been a big factor, and yes even a deciding factor with these newer devices (otherwise why would there have even been the push to up the capacities to where they are now) Some of us have large libraries, and growing at that. Not all of us want to go through the trouble of swapping/re-transferring every time we feel like hearing something else from our collection. Especially now that we're talking about high-rez............... Oh bleh 

deadhorse.gif

I want to see (and hear) what is to come after this 240 badly. Sadly finding an audio shop around here seems to be impossible. 
frown.gif

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,039 of 9,131
May I ask what is so special to ask for such a high price for this DAP. ?
I am not saying it's not worth it. Just why so much more than the AK120 .

The only two specs I am aware of is the memory and it's a BAL output.

Al

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #1,040 of 9,131
Al, there is the bigger screen and WiFi as well which means you can download directly from High Resolution music websites direct to your player and also, more importantly. you can stream music via your computer so you are able to access all your music library and not be limited by the amount of space on the 240. Not sure what else there is over the 120.

The more I understand what the WiFi is about the more I think I would appreciate it at home. I am really looking forward to hearing this player now even more.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #1,041 of 9,131
Looks like one fantastic DAP.  Be interested to see how SQ compares with the Calyx M and the new HiFiMan offerings.  Tyll Herstens seemed to be pretty impressed with the 240 at CES 2014.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,042 of 9,131
Wow now that is a cool feature.
So if I was in my office or home I could
Connect to my NAS and access my music
Very cool. What media server do they use.
And I assume it works with PC and MAC??

Al

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,043 of 9,131
Al, I am not sure. I found out about the streaming yesterday with The Absolute Sounds round up of digital components at CES, if you scroll down you will see the short write up which mentions streaming from a PC
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/ces-2014-digital-components/

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,045 of 9,131
I have just asked them on FB for more details about the streaming part. They normally reply within a few hours, As soon as i hear I will post what they say.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,046 of 9,131
Now that feature is new nd warrents the price
Increase.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #1,048 of 9,131
I hope so too. But it's not just wifi as
My hdp r10 has wifi but not streaming.
To be streamer is the first one I heard of doing this
And it's funny no one is even talking about this feature

As for sound I am azure it's an improvement
As they have not had a bomb unit yet.
Also I read some where it is SE and BAL output
As well. Now this would really good to have too.
It seems most people are mostly concerned about memory
And the size of the GUI. Not me though.

Al

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,049 of 9,131
Al, just had this message from A&K, it looks really encouraging..

"Astell&Kern will offer the free software for both PC and MAC for streaming, so you don't need to purchase any other media program."

I think as time passes and we see more of what this player can do the cost, compared to other equipment is starting to look like good value. I mean, great build quality, looks from what folks who have heard it, great sound quality and being able to stream from your hard drive at home makes this more of a one box solution so you don't have to have a home version of this as well.

I know a lot have expressed they do not like the sound of the 120, for me it has a more authentic and refined sound signature than the other high resolution players I have heard including the 901. But that is my ears, others may find differently which is fine as there are other players out there to fill their needs.

I have said it before and will repeat. At this level I believe there is no "bad" sounding player , its more about tailoring to ones own particular style of music delivery.

T

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #1,050 of 9,131
Really cool then. And the sounds you speak of is true
I think they have reinvented the DAP with this one.

But what about the BAL output. ??

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back