The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #47 of 9,131
Sorry... I meant, balanced TRRS
redface.gif

Who's got any bets going that they're going to copy the RW-B mod?

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #49 of 9,131
AK staff voiced skepticism about dropping the AK100 from 22 ohms to 3 ohms output impedance, in the following video, but it is difficult to know how much that might be motivated by PR, and indeed, whether he was taking low-impedance CIEMs into account in his 'no difference in sound quality' claims:

http://www.feversound1.com/131205-ect-2014/

RWA certainly disagree, although they have money to make, too, so they can't be considered neutral on the topic, either.

No mention of AK240, though.

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #50 of 9,131
The render is rough and based on memory.

I am pretty certain that the final version will look nicer. However for me the key issues will be: 
(a) the SQ
(b) the price, and
(c) UI (ease of playlists, cue support etc)

I am assuming onboard dsd support will be implemented. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #51 of 9,131
  The render is rough and based on memory.

I am pretty certain that the final version will look nicer. However for me the key issues will be: 
(a) the SQ
(b) the price, and
(c) UI (ease of playlists, cue support etc)

I am assuming onboard dsd support will be implemented. 

and storage capacity

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #52 of 9,131
Yes storage is key ! High-res files eat a lot of room !

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #54 of 9,131
  AK staff voiced skepticism about dropping the AK100 from 22 ohms to 3 ohms output impedance, in the following video, but it is difficult to know how much that might be motivated by PR, and indeed, whether he was taking low-impedance CIEMs into account in his 'no difference in sound quality' claims:

http://www.feversound1.com/131205-ect-2014/

RWA certainly disagree, although they have money to make, too, so they can't be considered neutral on the topic, either.

No mention of AK240, though.

Does it matter if AK100 gets drop from 22 ohms to 3 ohms at this point in time? There is already the new AK100 Mk II with 3 ohms output impedance that supersedes it and and further supports DSD playback.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #55 of 9,131

Does it matter if AK100 gets drop from 22 ohms to 3 ohms at this point in time? There is already the new AK100 Mk II with 3 ohms output impedance that supersedes it and and further supports DSD playback.

both the stock and Mk2 supports DSD playback

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #57 of 9,131
I got the ak120 today, however all my music files seems to be 10 seconds shorter than it should be and as a result they finish abruptly. Any idea why this may be? My firmware is 1.33

Wow, AK still has this problem? When I had it, it was limited to amazon mp3's and due to tag info that caused the AK problems. If I remember it was copyright info but I'm not positive. Anyway deleting that extraneous tag data on those files solved the issue.

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #60 of 9,131
This is the wrong thread for the AK120....

Still, set all the files tagged and drag and drop the album into the 'music' folder on the device... the iriver software is rubbish, not user friendly.... when you donwload the firmware simply cut and paste it into the main folder of the device or ''root'' as its called, the folder that contains all the other folders and it will upgrade automatically.... I can't give the web address but its on the AK120 forum page at least five pages back from the last one.

Enjoy the device, is worth the money. lots of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back