The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #16 of 9,131
It's an ever changing battle field at the moment with Daps appearing everywhere. I am really interested to see if this obviously premium product is that much better than the likes of the Sony ZX1 and Fiio X5 etc

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #17 of 9,131
I don't doubt that this will be a nice DAP, but I'm not going to 'admire' this choreographed publicity offensive.

Putting glossy, pretentious ads in 'Absolute Sound' basically sums up what this is about - employing an advertising agency, at great expense, to attempt to 'condition' the minds of the DAP-buying public into believing that a product is worth substantially more than the hardware actually is. And that all began with creating a contrived 'posh'-sounding name.

The big joke of all this is that while iRiver are trying to charge the earth for their DAPs, their engineers are producing, for the most part, some really nicely-engineered hardware that could make iRiver a small fortune if only they'd stop being greedy and sell it at fair market value. They'd sell like hotcakes, iRiver's customer base would expand dramatically, and both iRiver and customers would be in a happy situation.

Before anyone accuses me of 'sour grapes' - that would be both incorrect and missing the point. There are plenty of very wealthy individuals who refuse to pay inflated prices for goods, but you just don't notice them because they're not the ones 'flashing the cash'. Many a millionaire buys secondhand cars, for example, but you only ever hear about the ones flashing the cash for new ones in fancy dealership showrooms.

Will I look at the AK240 and wish I had one? - Maybe.

But will I look at it and think "If I had the money, I'd buy that"  - No, not necessarily.

No matter how much money a person may have, it is not nice to be overcharged, just because of expensive, orchestrated, glossy marketing of a supposed 'High-end brand name'.

I'm not knocking the DAP - I'm sure it will be a wonderful piece of engineering, and congratulations to the engineers working behind the scenes to produce a mini masterpiece.

What I'm knocking is the pretentious marketing and probable exorbitant price tag.    ...and if, by some stroke of genius, iRiver surprise us all and offer this at a fair price, I'll very happily eat my words. Really, I will.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #18 of 9,131
I agree with you but the problem is us. We cannot deny the success of ak120, they know it will sale and they will charge those prices and people will complain and one after another cave in and buy and tag it the best thing that has happen to them ever.

There are very few honest buyers. Guilt is harder to overcome than lusting for new gear.

Dec 31, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #19 of 9,131
Mython: Blame dealer markup for them not costing what an iBasso does.

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 9,131
  40% is fair for the dealer. It's minimal wholesale discounting that hurt us.

You dont want to know the mark up pricing for cables, that is where all the money is at. All and all I am looking forward to AK240 and I am sure in a moment of insanity possibly early in the morning right before going to the job that is mentally and physically draining me bit by bit I will order it and hate myself for it when the bill comes.

The smartest thing to wait till mid year next year, there are talk of 5 flagship DAP releases. Smart buyer will wait and see how they compare against each other.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #23 of 9,131
Making money is their duty, as a consumer, we ask ourselves if the pleasure we will receive from the item will be worth the price. Undoubtedly each one of us will have a different answer. Individually, If it is, we should pay for it. If not, then don't!

Dec 31, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #24 of 9,131
I agree with you but the problem is us. We cannot deny the success of ak120, they know it will sale and they will charge those prices and people will complain and one after another cave in and buy and tag it the best thing that has happen to them ever.

There are very few honest buyers. Guilt is harder to overcome than lusting for new gear.

I like what how you describe us buyers 
etysmile.gif

Dec 31, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #26 of 9,131
  You dont want to know the mark up pricing for cables, that is where all the money is at. All and all I am looking forward to AK240 and I am sure in a moment of insanity possibly early in the morning right before going to the job that is mentally and physically draining me bit by bit I will order it and hate myself for it when the bill comes.

The smartest thing to wait till mid year next year, there are talk of 5 flagship DAP releases. Smart buyer will wait and see how they compare against each other.

Which 5 flagship DAP releases are happening next year?

which companies?

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #27 of 9,131
subbed!

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #29 of 9,131
About the five DAPS, three are OEM, two are main stream. The one that is certain to release this year is colorfly new DAP which is suppose to be as close as it can get to vinyl sound ( I assume that means including random popping sound while the music playing back :D ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back