The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 15, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #8,881 of 9,131
no, haven't had that issue, just recently upgraded from sandisk 400 to kingston 512 ...never used fat32 only exfat (allows for >4gb files)
the AK240 as device (plugged in) is pretty slow, it's faster to pull the card and stick in sdcard reader

i have had (numerous times) that card "not recognized" when put back in and the device turned on, usually rebooting a second time gets that card going

Totally agree about using a card reader connected to your computer to transfer music files. I have zero issues with a 256GB card, but perhaps the 400GB and above requires exfat.

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #8,882 of 9,131
OK, thanks for the reply.. Interesting to hear that you dont experience any issues.. ( I also know that "not recognized Card issue")

Ill try again now formatting to ExFat and transfer my music again (takes 2,5hours grrrrr). I will post my experiences..

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #8,883 of 9,131
I've been using the AK240 on trips and really enjoy it. The only downside has been battery life. It seems to run out of juice in six hours. Maybe the newer models do better.

Jan 10, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #8,884 of 9,131
I've been using the AK240 on trips and really enjoy it. The only downside has been battery life. It seems to run out of juice in six hours. Maybe the newer models do better.

How old is it? I have a 3 year old SS, and I get about six-seven hours depending on the sample rate. I also have other daps, so my guess is I’m way below average on battery use.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #8,885 of 9,131
How old is it? I have a 3 year old SS, and I get about six-seven hours depending on the sample rate. I also have other daps, so my guess is I’m way below average on battery use.

Around 4 years. I have been playing the 24/192 Blue Note files so maybe that is a factor.

Jan 10, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #8,886 of 9,131
Jan 10, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #8,887 of 9,131
Around 4 years. I have been playing the 24/192 Blue Note files so maybe that is a factor.

I just had my 240 battery replaced a few months back and I still average about 6hrs of listening time per charge. As @jwbrent stated, file type plays a huge factor, in play time per charge and I also think, it's just the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #8,889 of 9,131
where did you have this done?

Directly through iRiver/Astell&Kern. My battery went into thermal runaway and I sent my 240 to iRiver and they sent the player to Korea. Quite a long journey but they provided 1st class customer service.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:38 AM Post #8,890 of 9,131
Dear Guys,

Thanks first of all for all your posts and topics, i am more the reader the the writer (Like most people).

I own an AK240 since about 2 years, still very happy with that (Playing in my mind to get a SP1000M, but thats another story). I am using an 400gb SanDisk SD Card and experience several times an issue (had the same issue earlier with 200GB SDCards as well). looks and sounds like following:

1. i format the SDCard to FAT32
2. i transfer the Music in formats like flac, dsd, wav)
3. I transfer that in folders using "Album Artist" - "Album Name" - "Music Files + folder.jpg"
4. AK Reads the Card (takes long time, but works most time)

Problem 1: sometimes when i put the card with new files first time, reading process stucks with screen black - only power button 12sec - resets helps.....
Problem 2: While listening to music the music stucks, sounds like "CD hang" + "Black Screen" - only power button 12sec - resets helps.....

Both Problems are not reproducable and appear without recognizable pattern. Problem Nr2. bothers me the most, as it takes always long time to transfer the files.

P.S.: Resetting Database does not necesseraly help....

Does anyone experience the same and have anyone a clue whats going on there?

Could not find anything via search function, sorry if this has been posted already.

Greets
Andy

i've got a same problem like yours

the problem 2 to be exact

sometimes when i play music from my se card, it would hang and freeze. and only pressing power for a long time can help to restart

at first i though it was the contact, and had tried cleaning it with contact cleaner, but it didn't help

on my device, reseting the device help a bit, tho it will happen again after a while .... havent found any permanent fix, i want to try to downgrade my AK240 if possible to see if it was a problem on the software or the hardware

btw i'm using sd card sandisk
and had test it with my 128gb, 64gb, and even 32gb it still freeze sometimes (btw i had test the sd card on my ak70ii and it work perfectly)

btw it never happen if i put the file on internal memory

Mar 20, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #8,891 of 9,131
i've got a same problem like yours

the problem 2 to be exact

sometimes when i play music from my se card, it would hang and freeze. and only pressing power for a long time can help to restart

at first i though it was the contact, and had tried cleaning it with contact cleaner, but it didn't help

on my device, reseting the device help a bit, tho it will happen again after a while .... havent found any permanent fix, i want to try to downgrade my AK240 if possible to see if it was a problem on the software or the hardware

btw i'm using sd card sandisk
and had test it with my 128gb, 64gb, and even 32gb it still freeze sometimes (btw i had test the sd card on my ak70ii and it work perfectly)

btw it never happen if i put the file on internal memory
Hello,

Please have a look on your files on the Memory Card and see if you can find songs with 0kb Filesize.

I found some on mine. I could not figure out any reason for this, maybe it happens by the copying process?

After deletion of all songs with 0kb Filesize, i never faced that freez-problem again..

Additionally, i believe its a SD Card issue (but thats just guessing)

Kind regards
Andy

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #8,892 of 9,131
Directly through iRiver/Astell&Kern. My battery went into thermal runaway and I sent my 240 to iRiver and they sent the player to Korea. Quite a long journey but they provided 1st class customer service.

just wanted to let you know, i got the new battery off ali pretty quick...was able to change it out in literally 5 minutes, now it lasts 12 hours or so on a charge

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #8,893 of 9,131
just wanted to let you know, i got the new battery off ali pretty quick...was able to change it out in literally 5 minutes, now it lasts 12 hours or so on a charge

I'm sure other owners, will be happy to hear, that a third party battery is available. If my hadn't gone gone critically ill, I would have loved to do the work my self and save time and money. Can you supply the link and price, so others can take advantage?

Apr 12, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #8,894 of 9,131
I'm sure other owners, will be happy to hear, that a third party battery is available. If my hadn't gone gone critically ill, I would have loved to do the work my self and save time and money. Can you supply the link and price, so others can take advantage?

i chose this one and also got a first time discount of $5, u need a tiny t4 or t5 forgot which one to remove the 2 screws
i already had a small suction cup and guitar pick, it's best to start near the power connector, the back case has plastic tabs that snap to open and close

love the fact they made this player "fixable" by the user

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #8,895 of 9,131
i chose this one and also got a first time discount of $5, u need a tiny t4 or t5 forgot which one to remove the 2 screws
i already had a small suction cup and guitar pick, it's best to start near the power connector, the back case has plastic tabs that snap to open and close

love the fact they made this player "fixable" by the user

The link was broken but I did a search and found this. Is that the correct one? Looks like it's plug and play, which is excellent. No soldering needed. I'm sure all will appreciate your info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back