The Astell & Kern AK240
Dec 27, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #8,551 of 9,131
Is there a sound difference between ak240 and ak100 II? Whats the difference?

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #8,552 of 9,131
  Is there a sound difference between ak240 and ak100 II? Whats the difference?

Quite profound actually...I have the AK240SS and its bigger sounding, quicker, with more detail extraction and overall transparency.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #8,553 of 9,131
Yesterday while using my AK240SS, the dreaded wacky volume control problem surfaced. My first AK240 had this issue beginning a month after I purchased it and iriver replaced it—the new one worked fine for over a year before I sold it. My 240SS is a year and a half old, and it is a disappointment that A&K never fixed this issue, something many owners have reported.

In explanation, when I adjust the volume with the knob, one click up sometimes works correctly, but sometimes the volume jumps several steps up, and sometimes the volume jumps several steps backwards. It was reported long time ago that the optical encoder is the culprit. It is a progressive problem in that the jumps are small at first, but then begin to get really bad until the knob control is useless.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had this issue with their 240 recently and what response they received from iriver.

I'll be talking to them tomorrow if I can but they may all be at CES for the next week or so.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #8,554 of 9,131
A few days ago when you said your volume pot was working alright, I was going to say it is just a matter of time before you will have it.  Mine has that problem so when I RW modded the SS Vinnie fixed that volume pot problem for me but unfortunate it lasted for a month or so and it is back to where it was.  I really don"t know if there is a real fix to it.  I hope AK will let you know.  Good luck.

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #8,555 of 9,131
  Yesterday while using my AK240SS, the dreaded wacky volume control problem surfaced. My first AK240 had this issue beginning a month after I purchased it and iriver replaced it—the new one worked fine for over a year before I sold it. My 240SS is a year and a half old, and it is a disappointment that A&K never fixed this issue, something many owners have reported.

In explanation, when I adjust the volume with the knob, one click up sometimes works correctly, but sometimes the volume jumps several steps up, and sometimes the volume jumps several steps backwards. It was reported long time ago that the optical encoder is the culprit. It is a progressive problem in that the jumps are small at first, but then begin to get really bad until the knob control is useless.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has had this issue with their 240 recently and what response they received from iriver.

I'll be talking to them tomorrow if I can but they may all be at CES for the next week or so.

A few days ago when you said your volume pot was working alright, I was going to say it is just a matter of time before you will have it.  Mine has that problem so when I RW modded the SS Vinnie fixed that volume pot problem for me but unfortunate it lasted for a month or so and it is back to where it was.  I really don"t know if there is a real fix to it.  I hope AK will let you know.  Good luck.

Maybe it's a case of YMMV but the work around that I've found is, I turn the 240 off and rotate the volume control back and forth for about 15 seconds or so and then turn it back on, the volume control then works normally until the next time it decides to get an attitude. Again, YMMV, and technically it probably makes no sense but it works for me.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #8,556 of 9,131

Maybe it's a case of YMMV but the work around that I've found is, I turn the 240 off and rotate the volume control back and forth for about 15 seconds or so and then turn it back on, the volume control then works normally until the next time it decides to get an attitude. Again, YMMV, and technically it probably makes no sense but it works for me.

Thank you for the tip, I'll try it. I did find after my initial post that turning off my 240SS returned the volume knob to acting normal, but I figured this was a temporary remedy.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #8,557 of 9,131

Can't you get Vinnie to repair the control under warranty? It seems to me that replacement parts should have some kind of warranty from iriver.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #8,558 of 9,131

Can't you get Vinnie to repair the control under warranty? It seems to me that replacement parts should have some kind of warranty from iriver.

Well, I don't know, I guess I could ask Vinnie to fix it again, but I am tired of sending the SS back and forth for this problem. I just use the on screen control.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #8,559 of 9,131
  Well, I don't know, I guess I could ask Vinnie to fix it again, but I am tired of sending the SS back and forth for this problem. I just use the on screen control.

Understand, and frustrating I'm sure.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #8,560 of 9,131
  Quite profound actually...I have the AK240SS and its bigger sounding, quicker, with more detail extraction and overall transparency.

Do you know what AK is best for vocals...had AK120 and loved how the wolfson was performing. Looking now again for a cheap AK maybe even the jr or an old ak100.

Jan 17, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #8,562 of 9,131
Hi everyone,
I'm new to AK240. Mine arrived some days ago, and the first thing I did was to update the firmware to the latest 1.35. I've got a Beyerdynamic AKT5P, but when I use the EQ settings, both with AKT5P or PRO EQ, there is no sound changes. Only the custom EQ works fine.
Can you help me to know if it's a fw bug or it's mine that's a faulty unit. The player sounds very good, but if I can't take the advantage of the EQ settings for optimal pairing with AKT5P, it doesn't worth the price, and I'll stick with my defective QP1R that sounds very good too (it has annoying battery problems and lacks of feature Ak has).
I'm still in time to have a refund.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #8,564 of 9,131
Thank you for the reply.
But I'm sure that there are no differences at all, in fact I just received a replay from the vendor, which sold me the unit, who has contacted the supplier of  AK replying that the EQ problem is known to Astell&Kern and he hopes it will be solved with a future fw update.

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #8,565 of 9,131
Thank you for the reply.
But I'm sure that there are no differences at all, in fact I just received a replay from the vendor, which sold me the unit, who has contacted the supplier of  AK replying that the EQ problem is known to Astell&Kern and he hopes it will be solved with a future fw update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back