The Astell & Kern AK120
May 4, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #6,886 of 7,071

I can't find a picture of the board anywhere, do you have one?

If Vinnie has tried then its like you said, most likley easier said than done for this DAP.

I'd like to see inside though for fun.

He may have destroyed the board while soldering the chips. Still soldering nonetheless lol :p. There are pics I think posted earlier on of the board? I'll try look and see if I can find a pic. (edit) I think there are pics on the right of the screen H20 of the board. There is a casing on part of it though as it was on mine if I recall correctly. Had no intention on opening that up lol. Reminds me of ripping out the dashboard of a 2010 dodge ram.... Even the steering wheel. Felt real comfy there. :p.

May 4, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #6,887 of 7,071

He may have destroyed the board while soldering the chips. Still soldering nonetheless lol :p. There are pics I think posted earlier on of the board? I'll try look and see if I can find a pic. (edit) I think there are pics on the right of the screen H20 of the board. There is a casing on part of it though as it was on mine if I recall correctly. Had no intention on opening that up lol. Reminds me of ripping out the dashboard of a 2010 dodge ram.... Even the steering wheel. Felt real comfy there. :p.

I can see those ones in the photo gallery, doesn't show me the battery though. 

The only other you may possibly do it is by leaving the battery wires attached to the main board and unsoldering them from the battery itself. The battery should have a protection circuit attached, the positive and negative wires will be soldered to that circuit. Then all you need is a battery (that fits, thickness is sometimes an issue) and soft solder the wires to the new battery terminals.

The same way Mython did with the J3. Checkout the Nokia BA700 battery dimensions, see if its close in size.

May 6, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #6,888 of 7,071
Yeah, Vinnie can replace it if I can find a battery. It is not dead, just doesn't hold charge for as long anymore and I was getting worried so thought I'd look into it. I am using two 200gb cards which chant help matters. I put one in to go with the 128 I had, then switched out the 128 fo the second 200 and so of course battery will have less operating time.

May 16, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #6,891 of 7,071
@dallan

Hello,

I own an MS-AK100, and i wanted to change the battery.
So i may be able to help you...

Here are my bookmarks for the AK100 :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671101/ak100-22ohm-bypass-diy#post_9591429
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/8385#post_10502370
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=2450mAh+I9070&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150228015645

Hope it can help...
I bought the i9070 battery on Aliexpress, but i haven't tried to replace it yet.

Cheers,
MagicGuy

PS : i hope my english is good enough.
And if you want to sell it one day... Send me a PM :)

May 16, 2016 at 8:48 PM Post #6,892 of 7,071
@dallan

Hello,

I own an MS-AK100, and i wanted to change the battery.
So i may be able to help you...

Here are my bookmarks for the AK100 :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/671101/ak100-22ohm-bypass-diy#post_9591429
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630288/the-new-iriver-ak100-a-high-end-dap/8385#post_10502370
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=2450mAh+I9070&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150228015645

Hope it can help...
I bought the i9070 battery on Aliexpress, but i haven't tried to replace it yet.

Cheers,
MagicGuy

PS : i hope my english is good enough.
And if you want to sell it one day... Send me a PM :)

Thank you on both. Your English is fine. I will check the links when I get home thanks again

May 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #6,893 of 7,071
Hi all
Just posting the reply i got from iriver Korea
The american support site dint even anwer me but from the headoffice they did.
Does anyone think they still bother releasing another firmware?

"Dear Richard, Thank you for using the AK product.Unfortunately, AK120 does not support USB DAC (USB Audio) for Android as it was only supposed to support for Window or MAC.This is different from what Galaxy S3 recognizes AK120 as a removable disk. For AK10, this is mainly developed as a USB DAC for Smartphones. I hesitate to say that it will be supported by firmware upgrade soon, but please note it’s under consideration.Hope your understanding. Thank you."

My queston:
"Dear support, I have an AK120, and tried to use it as a dac on a samsung smartphone but i can’t get it to work.I bought a 15cm usb cable with on one side a microB and the other side microB otg (=pin 4 and 5 linked)When i connect the 2 devices, the ak gives the usb screen so 1st i tried to connect to removable disk, this works, i can access the ak's memory and browse files. So the otg function is ok and the cable does transfer data. But now i choose connect to usb dac, then the AK hangs! I have to hold the power button to reboot it.On a pc running Windows7 the dac functions perfectly.Specs: the AK runs latest firmware 1.42I also tried previous firmware versions.The smartphone is a Samsung S3 running android 4.3 jellybean.I also tried on a Samsung S5 running latest android 5.0 lollypop but it happends the same.Both phones dont seem to detect aything when i choose usb dac on the AKIf i look on the Astell&Kern site there is also a AK10 which its claimed to work with android smartphones, its even mentioned the Samsung S3.
Thanks in advance for any reply"

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #6,896 of 7,071
Totally Agree, something about the Wolfson dacs implementation which is why I'm still keeping my ak120 despite having the ak320.

Jun 20, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #6,897 of 7,071
"Dear Richard, Thank you for using the AK product.Unfortunately, AK120 does not support USB DAC (USB Audio) for Android as it was only supposed to support for Window or MAC.This is different from what Galaxy S3 recognizes AK120 as a removable disk. For AK10, this is mainly developed as a USB DAC for Smartphones. I hesitate to say that it will be supported by firmware upgrade soon, but please note it’s under consideration.Hope your understanding. Thank you."

I think it is just copy and paste from some standard CS scripts, which just means there is no plan to release, at least in foreseeable future...

Jun 22, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #6,899 of 7,071
I started using "optical out" port of AK120 and met an issue. Whenever I change an album, the optical out stops working.  I have to unplug and plug back the optical cable to make optical out work, which is really annoying.  Does anybody know how to solve this problem?  I want to keep the cable plugged when I change to different music.  

Jun 29, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #6,900 of 7,071
Could anyone help me please? I'm completely new to this forum so I apologise if I I do things the wrong way.
I have the AK120 Titan with Westone 4R, I also listen by connecting it to a Marantz NA7004 via digital optical. My question is are the DACs onboard the Titan being bypassed when used with the Marantz? So am I losing quality?
Also so far I haven't been able to use it as an external DAC, my Mac and MacBook recognise it but no sound comes. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back