The Astell & Kern AK120
Jan 30, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #6,841 of 7,071
never had a good dap before. always used my smartphone + ma750 before.
i got the chance to grab a ak120 (Not ak120ii) for 500$. barely used from a friend.
im honest , im a total newbie, not sure if i should buy it or pay less for a new dx80/90.

i bought a new pair of headphones ( flare r2pro). will they match well with an ak120?
also thought about getting a chord mojo aswell to improve sq .

feel free to share your thoughts with me! :)

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #6,842 of 7,071
never had a good dap before. always used my smartphone + ma750 before.
i got the chance to grab a ak120 (Not ak120ii) for 500$. barely used from a friend.
im honest , im a total newbie, not sure if i should buy it or pay less for a new dx80/90.

i bought a new pair of headphones ( flare r2pro). will they match well with an ak120?
also thought about getting a chord mojo aswell to improve sq .

feel free to share your thoughts with me! :)

The 120 is a great DAP by itself (the best form factor of any DAP I've used) and obviously works great as a transport for a good DAC/amp like the Chord products. I upgraded from a smartphone when I bought the 120, and got a Chord Hugo to go with it when ultimate portability was not the main priority.

I can also recommend pairing the 120 with the Glove A1: once you've tried the balanced out from that combo, you won't go back. And it's still a pretty pocketable "stack".

For the record, the only reason I changed DAPs is because I wanted Tidal, so I now use an Onkyo DP-X1 either standalone (balanced out) or with the Hugo (single ended output) or an ALO CDM (balanced again). The Onkyo has a similarly warm, musical soundstage to the 120 by the way.

Of you don't need the streaming services, them the 120 is a great device.

Hope that helps.

Sorry I can't advise on your headphone / IEM choice as I've not tried any of the ones you mentioned.

Feb 1, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #6,843 of 7,071
The 120 is a great DAP by itself (the best form factor of any DAP I've used) and obviously works great as a transport for a good DAC/amp like the Chord products. I upgraded from a smartphone when I bought the 120, and got a Chord Hugo to go with it when ultimate portability was not the main priority.

I can also recommend pairing the 120 with the Glove A1: once you've tried the balanced out from that combo, you won't go back. And it's still a pretty pocketable "stack".

For the record, the only reason I changed DAPs is because I wanted Tidal, so I now use an Onkyo DP-X1 either standalone (balanced out) or with the Hugo (single ended output) or an ALO CDM (balanced again). The Onkyo has a similarly warm, musical soundstage to the 120 by the way.

Of you don't need the streaming services, them the 120 is a great device.

Hope that helps.

Sorry I can't advise on your headphone / IEM choice as I've not tried any of the ones you mentioned.

thank you sir :)

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #6,846 of 7,071
  Anyone else bothered by the laggy / slow response from using the touchscreen?
That's my only complain for the player

What files are you playing when experiencing this lag? For me, it's only when DSD is playing. Other times, mp3, flac, 16 bit, 24bit, I experience no lag whatsoever. It's quite responsive but I'm not expecting buttery smooth motion.

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #6,848 of 7,071
Has anyone mamaged to get the USB Dac working on windows 7 or 8? I can install it fine and it shows in the list of devices, when I switch to it it seems to be fine and the test tones that windows plays seem to be working because the green volume bar moves - there is however, no sound at all! Any ideas?

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #6,849 of 7,071
  Has anyone mamaged to get the USB Dac working on windows 7 or 8? I can install it fine and it shows in the list of devices, when I switch to it it seems to be fine and the test tones that windows plays seem to be working because the green volume bar moves - there is however, no sound at all! Any ideas?

Are you using USB 3.0 on your PC? From my understanding, it won't work for USB 3.0, no matter it is Windows 7/8/10 or Mac

Feb 2, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #6,850 of 7,071
Not that I know of - USB 2. Tried all different ports on two different machines but although it installs fine nad shows correctly as AK120 in windows, no sound ever comes out of the player with headphones plugged in. As far as windows is concerned its working, no issues at all and nothing for the troubleshooter to work with. Its bizarre. In contrast, I bought a Fiio Q1 and the Dac on that works perfectly.

Feb 2, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #6,851 of 7,071
Hey there,

I am hoping someone can confirm behavior for me. I have a chromcast audio connected vis optical to the optical in of my ak120. I have the optical out to the optical in of my Chord Mojo. I can get no sound when i plug my headphones into the Mojo but all optical cable lights are red both incoming and outgoing. If i plug my headphones into the aux out of my ak120.... i have music :)

Thanks
Darren

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #6,852 of 7,071
Hey there,

I am hoping someone can confirm behavior for me. I have a chromcast audio connected vis optical to the optical in of my ak120. I have the optical out to the optical in of my Chord Mojo. I can get no sound when i plug my headphones into the Mojo but all optical cable lights are red both incoming and outgoing. If i plug my headphones into the aux out of my ak120.... i have music
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks
Darren

When you connect chromcast output to AK120, AK120 should work as a DAC. Then you don't need another DAC (Chord Mojo) to convert already converted data. The optical out of AK120 will not send any signal, because there is no digital signal to convert. Even though AK120 sends out digital signal, it means AK120 just bypasses the signal from Chromcast to Mojo. No reason to put AK120 in the middle. 

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #6,853 of 7,071
  When you connect chromcast output to AK120, AK120 should work as a DAC. Then you don't need another DAC (Chord Mojo) to convert already converted data. The optical out of AK120 will not send any signal, because there is no digital signal to convert. Even though AK120 sends out digital signal, it means AK120 just bypasses the signal from Chromcast to Mojo. No reason to put AK120 in the middle. 

Yes no need for AK in this case chromecast works just fine with mojo,not compared the two yet but streaming from ak120 using chromecast sounds great.

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #6,854 of 7,071
Thanks for the response... the only reason I wanted to do what I originally stated was so that I didn't have to plug/unplug my sysconcepts optical cable from my ak120 to the mojo every time I wanted to listen to Spotify. You are totally correct though... Chromecast works well directly into my AK120 OR my Mojo.

Regards,
Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back