The Astell & Kern AK120
Jun 24, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #6,571 of 7,071
I bought a 2nd hand ak120 a few months ago and an issue I had with it is that the button to turn it on and off didn't work properly when I tried to turn it off. When I pushed the button the screen went off and on again when released. Took me several tries to actually turn it off that way. The last firmware update solved that problem in my unit.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Jun 24, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #6,572 of 7,071
Biggest thing for me with this new firmware is that at long last if one wants to listen again to the track one has just listened to this player now behaves like it should and that is one press of the back button takes one back to the beginning of the track rather than how is used to be which was two pushes and even then it was not assured!

I hear no sound difference between this version and the previous though,

Some certainly varied more than others.

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #6,574 of 7,071
I'd have to agree with his post. They sounded pretty much the same to me. I still can't believe 1.32 sounds so good on my player it's like different leagues.

lee730,

Is the difference in sound quality only noticeable with WAV files or any type of files? Also what would you recommend as the best sounding microsd cards for the AK120?

Thanks

Jun 26, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #6,576 of 7,071
So have 1.40 software. It would be great if someone with the new firmware could listen to a chunk of 24/192 with the backlight off and see if the system becomes unstable, sound wise. Several of us have this problem and the solution is keeping the backlight on however if it's in your pocket then the controls are active and it can jump songs or pause on its own.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #6,577 of 7,071
My files work fine on all the FW with perhaps an occasional glitch if I FF or RW a 192 file. Mine are wav. Are you using FLAC which require more resources? Off topic but I'd rather listen to 24/96 wav than 24/192 FLAC anyway and yes, I'm aware of FLAC's bit perfection.

I take it back, I just had the issue when trying 1.32 with wav. Going back to 1.3 and check.

1.3, which I had been using, is working.  

back to 1.32 and it's working as well. This install of 1.32 is a hair crisper than the last. If I didn't know the recording like the back of my hand, I'd never have noticed this quickly but perhaps troublesome FWs should be reloaded and reset.

I had moved the file in question to the root of the internal memory and to a class 10 card to see if the issue was the same as on the class 4 card that initially showed the issue. When I reloaded 1.32 and ran the control, it worked great so ......tweaky geeky.

p.s. with this load of 1.32 and the jh13fp/TWAG V3, I agree with Lee. 1.3 is a bit crisper but can get a just hair bright with this combo. It was preferred with the stock cable. 

This thread has had me revisit to my benefit.
smile.gif
 Thanks guys.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #6,580 of 7,071
I'm sorry if this is off topic, but it seems you guys will be best equipped to answer:

I just pulled the trigger on a brand new original AK 120 for $800 yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon, I won a brand new AK Jr. at a 380 launch event (thanks Stereo Exchange)! Should I sell the Jr or cancel the 120 order?

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #6,584 of 7,071

lee730,

Is the difference in sound quality only noticeable with WAV files or any type of files? Also what would you recommend as the best sounding microsd cards for the AK120?

Thanks

On pretty much anything you throw on it. If the track is bad it will make that very clear to you lol. The clarity is something else though.... I feel it makes all my music sound HD.

For sound cards I've been using the 32 GB Sandisk cards. I have 64 GB ones but I do notice a difference and that bothers me lol. I haven't tried out the larger 128 cards due to this...

Jun 27, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #6,585 of 7,071

I downgraded to 1.32 version and did some listening tests. I am shocked. The sound is much more lifelike compared to version 1.40 or 1.42. I have 128GB cards and I'll compare them with 32GB and see if I hear any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back