The Astell & Kern AK120
Mar 4, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #6,466 of 7,071
I also have that same issue. I have to keep the display on all the time but that doesn't bother me. I am running version 1.40. I haven't tried it but I wonder if trying another version would solve the problem.

I do not have such issues with 192 files on sd cards or onboard. Does that happen with modded ak120s?

Mar 4, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #6,468 of 7,071
I do not have such issues with 192 files on sd cards or onboard. Does that happen with modded ak120s?

Mine has the issue and not modded, just stock. Same with Sam Edwards. So that's three. I wouldn't have even known but i got a dac that can handle 192 now so got some files with that sample instead of 96. Worked for a while and then after about a month got unstable. No rhyme or reason.

Mar 4, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #6,469 of 7,071
I think there's at least a possibility that it is our media, even the internal media in player. I would not be surprised if my media wasn't pretty fragmented at this point from adding and deleting tracks over and over. I wonder if re-formatting as xFAT and recopying the files wouldn't fix it. 

Mine has the issue and not modded, just stock. Same with Sam Edwards. So that's three. I wouldn't have even known but i got a dac that can handle 192 now so got some files with that sample instead of 96. Worked for a while and then after about a month got unstable. No rhyme or reason.

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #6,471 of 7,071

Since the AK120II is about $1000 more than the Glove, then we're paying that much for inferior DAC/amp, plus a hard drive and a screen. Pretty bad value, it appears! 

Hardly. There will always be a cost compromise to get something to fit into your pocket. If t was that easy, Centrance would be making a DAP instead of a DAC/amp. It's folly to discount what goes into making a good front end. Centrance choosing AK for this should tell you something and you still need to buy that AK DAP to use with the Glove as well so your pricing is also significantly off.

That said, what Centrance is doing with the glove is fabulous and extremely effective for those that are willing to tote something that size and weight but it's always relative to need and use requirements. I'm curious which FW guys are using on their AKs + Glove. On my stand alone AK100 MK2 I've settled in at 2.1 to give the best combo of detail and note fill. I realize it doesn't reach in as far as even a 120 let alone the Glove but it's quite totable. I'm constantly tempted
evil_smiley.gif
by the Glove
smile.gif
but it's just more than I want to carry around.
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #6,472 of 7,071
I didn't understand that you were referring to sending 192 files to an external DAC. That I don't know if I have the issue or not as I don't have an external DAC accepting 192 through optical. I will try to borrow one from a friend and try it.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #6,473 of 7,071

I wonder if re-formatting as xFAT and recopying the files wouldn't fix it. 

I was going to suggest the same.  I have the Titan and play 192 as well as DSDs with no issue.  I was having issues at one point with the internal SSD playing/reading files (not frequency specific).  The AK would crash and if played via my library it would say no files available.   I completely erased and reformatted the intenal SSD, and copied over the material again (got rid of the iRiver software that was loaded).   This seemed to solve my stability issue, I've had my AK for about a year.

Mar 5, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #6,474 of 7,071

Are you sure your cable is capable of handling the higher frequency?  I've also seen certain DACs stating that higher frequencies can only be achieved via certain inputs.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #6,475 of 7,071
Are you sure your cable is capable of handling the higher frequency?  I've also seen certain DACs stating that higher frequencies can only be achieved via certain inputs.

Cable does handle it, high end. It also happens on the headphone out directly. That was the first thing I checked because I assumed it was the cable. Only happens when the backlight goes out.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #6,476 of 7,071
Cable does handle it, high end. It also happens on the headphone out directly. That was the first thing I checked because I assumed it was the cable. Only happens when the backlight goes out.

If it happens repeatedly on one particular song (file).  Take a spare MicroSD card, reformat and add just that song, see if it works.  If not, then you know media storage is not the answer.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #6,477 of 7,071
If it happens repeatedly on one particular song (file).  Take a spare MicroSD card, reformat and add just that song, see if it works.  If not, then you know media storage is not the answer.

I already deleted it and reloaded all 192 to onboard drive and it still does it. Only when backlight goes off, which is so weird.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #6,478 of 7,071
I already deleted it and reloaded all 192 to onboard drive and it still does it. Only when backlight goes off, which is so weird.

Have you tried to play some off a MicroSD as opposed to internal?  Maybe going back a version or two in the firmware?  Try to eilminate a much as you can before sending it in

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #6,479 of 7,071
Have you tried to play some off a MicroSD as opposed to internal?  Maybe going back a version or two in the firmware?  Try to eilminate a much as you can before sending it in

Original issue was with MicroSD. Haven't gone backwards in firmware, maybe I will reinstall current firmware. Not going to bother sending back, many have this issue it seems, maybe we'll get a patch.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #6,480 of 7,071
Original issue was with MicroSD. Haven't gone backwards in firmware, maybe I will reinstall current firmware. Not going to bother sending back, many have this issue it seems, maybe we'll get a patch.

Gotcha...hope you solve it soon.  I'd def try going back one/two versions in the firmware to see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back