The Astell & Kern AK120
Jan 12, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #6,421 of 7,071
I'm sorry to hear that. I had some albums for which I had to do nothing, the artwork was simply there. For the others, I had to redo the tagging, which took a lot of time but it actually worked just fine. I'm not aware of any hidden files, I think that this is something that can be fixed with a new firmware release for the device. Actually, that was exactly what happened with the X3, only with the latest fw 3.30 it managed to present the artwork properly.

Jan 15, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #6,423 of 7,071
  Hello, I had exactly the same problem with the ak120. I had to tag the front cover again to the albums with Kid3 which worked pretty well. Hope it helps for you as well.

Thanks for all your help Ive started using kid3 which is great,it was just recently music tag editor was causing problems and ive managed to sort out all the tags with xld now all my artwork and info are showing.Although it did take me about a week and many hours to figure it out.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #6,424 of 7,071
  Thanks for all your help Ive started using kid3 which is great,it was just recently music tag editor was causing problems and ive managed to sort out all the tags with xld now all my artwork and info are showing.Although it did take me about a week and many hours to figure it out.

Now that the artwork trouble is done, you can now focus on the sound, and it's awesome! Cheers.

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #6,426 of 7,071
I did a test with my unit, which I bought new after it was lying in the shelf for about a year, hence no ideal storage conditions. At volume 30 it was playing ALAC files for about 13h (screen off, except occasional checks of the battery status). It was not fully empty, so the manufacturer's claim is imho realistic.

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #6,428 of 7,071
I have a strange problem that I can't seem to get to the bottom of, so perhaps someone here might be able to help?

I use foobar2000 to rip and tag my music to flac fromat before copying them to my AK120. I have 3 albums that, although the tags look okay in fb2k, have an album title of "1" (they're not supposed to be called that). I've rescanned and checked everything I can think of but can't figure out what's going on or how to resolve it. Does anyone any ideas what I can try? Thanks.

Feb 6, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #6,429 of 7,071
I have a strange problem that I can't seem to get to the bottom of, so perhaps someone here might be able to help?

I use foobar2000 to rip and tag my music to flac fromat before copying them to my AK120. I have 3 albums that, although the tags look okay in fb2k, have an album title of "1" (they're not supposed to be called that). I've rescanned and checked everything I can think of but can't figure out what's going on or how to resolve it. Does anyone any ideas what I can try? Thanks.

Tagged as part of compilation if i remember correctly

Feb 8, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #6,431 of 7,071
I am considering the AK120II, and am wondering if it would be a significant step up from my current setup.

I listen to CDs ripped to Apple Lossless (or Apple Lossless purchased over iTunes) on my Mac or my iPhone, usually over my Sony PHA-2 DAC/headphone amp. My headphones are Westone W60s. 

Would the AK120II be a significant step above the Sony PHA-2 with non-high-res files? 

If I do get the AK120II, would it be wasted on non-balanced W60s? Or would I have to get balanced cables to get the most out of it? 

Thanks for any opinions. 

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:30 AM Post #6,432 of 7,071
Hello all,

Having some issues with my AK120. The sound Is great, but some of my tracks skip ahead to the next song before they have finished (usually about 20/30 secs before the end). It then displays the error message 'this file format is unsupported, play next file?'. But weirdly when I scroll through to that part of the song manually I can listen to it, just not when playing from the beginning.

It doesn't seem to be the file type that is the problem (does it for flac and MP3) so a bit stumped. Anyone else come across this? Or can provide any help?

Thanks so much!

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #6,433 of 7,071
I seem to recall reading of someone else with a similar issue. Can't remember if there was a resolution, but the answer may be buried in this thread. Try using the Search function, or start at page 1!

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #6,434 of 7,071
Probably better off searching in google and add 'headfi' to the search. This search engine could be better.
Hello all,

Having some issues with my AK120. The sound Is great, but some of my tracks skip ahead to the next song before they have finished (usually about 20/30 secs before the end). It then displays the error message 'this file format is unsupported, play next file?'. But weirdly when I scroll through to that part of the song manually I can listen to it, just not when playing from the beginning.

It doesn't seem to be the file type that is the problem (does it for flac and MP3) so a bit stumped. Anyone else come across this? Or can provide any help?

Thanks so much!

General fix for most things is to reload the FW and then do a factory reset thereafter. Perhaps just try the factory reset in the advanced menu to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back