The Astell & Kern AK120
Mar 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #5,476 of 7,071
  Maybe one reason could be a impedance mismatch, the output impedance of the AK120 and Titan is three ohms and the impedance of the shures is 9 ohms usually you like  8 times impedance difference so with a 3 ohm output impedance you would want a headphone with an impedance of over 24. The impedance mismatch can affect frequency response and maybe in this case adversely affecting the base response

That's what I suspected - thank you. I'll either get an amp or, if the AK120 sounds good with my other IEMs, sell the Shures.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #5,477 of 7,071
  Maybe one reason could be a impedance mismatch, the output impedance of the AK120 and Titan is three ohms and the impedance of the shures is 9 ohms usually you like  8 times impedance difference so with a 3 ohm output impedance you would want a headphone with an impedance of over 24. The impedance mismatch can affect frequency response and maybe in this case adversely affecting the base response

It has a lot to do with how much the device you're driving's impedance varies. The TF10 example varies quite a bit with the highs dropping to below 8 ohms and other ranges above 55 ohms, why you see so much variation n your very extreme example. The Shure will only vary by a couple of db with a 3 ohm output impedance even though it has a very low impedance stated impedance. Those with stock players seem to like the combo. The fellow with the -B mod and using an external amp with low output impedance is who didn't care for the pairing. 
Shure:

TF10:

That said, I personally I don't understand why anyone would design a modern Headphone with an impedance that drops below 16 ohms. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #5,480 of 7,071
  It has a lot to do with how much the device you're driving's impedance varies. The TF10 example varies quite a bit with the highs dropping to below 8 ohms and other ranges above 55 ohms, why you see so much variation n your very extreme example. The Shure will only vary by a couple of db with a 3 ohm output impedance even though it has a very low impedance stated impedance. Those with stock players seem to like the combo. The fellow with the -B mod and using an external amp with low output impedance is who didn't care for the pairing. 
Shure:

TF10:

That said, I personally I don't understand why anyone would design a modern Headphone with an impedance that drops below 16 ohms. 

I agree 100%

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #5,481 of 7,071

That's a good shout - I hadn't considered a resistance adaptor. Certainly cheaper than a RWA mod.

Opposites. The resistor effectively increases the output impedance. ET use it for EQ because it effects response. The rwa mod lowers output impedance though the stock 3 ohms is fine for almost everything. The mod originated with the original AK100 that had a very high 20 ohm output impedance. The AK100mk2 and AK120 both have 3 ohm output impedances to begin with. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #5,482 of 7,071
  Opposites. The resistor effectively increases the output impedance. ET use it for EQ because it effects response. The rwa mod lowers output impedance though the stock 3 ohms is fine for almost everything. The mod originated with the original AK100 that had a very high 20 ohm output impedance. The AK100mk2 and AK120 both have 3 ohm output impedances to begin with. 

Hmph. Back to thinking about the RWA mod then. No doubt the 3 ohms is fine for most IEMs - just not the Shures (to my ears at least).

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #5,483 of 7,071

Im talking about a resister in line with the headphone to increase resistance to modify the response of the headphones. I get how it works.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #5,485 of 7,071

I am talking about putting a resister in line with the headphones which would effectively increase the resistance of the headphones it would not not increase the output resistance of the AK100 or 120 that would remain 20 for the 100 and 3 ohms for the 120 you would have to modify the AK's to change their output resistance.  if you put external resistance outside of the AK it effectively raises the resistance of the phones and does nothing to the output resistance of the AK's

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #5,487 of 7,071
I am thrilled with my 846 and my 120 titan ,i dont know what would account for such divergent opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back